Tongue Bite due to Poor Lighting Technique? Help a newb out!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Tex

Reaction score
I have in my possession a Virginia/Burley blend (the first non-aro blend I have purchased). I know that such a blend must be sipped slowly to avoid it burning too hot and biting back, so I do smoke it slowly. But when I light it, whoo boy it bites the heck out of me and the first few sips are acrid and hot. Is this because I'm lighting it too aggressively? I'm used to moist aromatics that need several long draws to take a light.

Packing too loosely and lighting vigorously will do that, yes. Also, having the unfounded idea that you must keep the pipe lit by puffing it is a habit that consumes many a new tongue with pain.

You mighta picked up a bad habit habit lighting a moist aro. In addition to the comment above, experiment with taking a pipeload of tobak and letting it sit in a saucer for 15 mins or so before packing the pipe. In any event, you only need to light the tobacco surface, not suck the flame halfway up the pipe shank. Less effort should give you better results. Another thing to try -- pack a few pipes in the morning and just let them adjust themselves until you're ready to light up later in the day.

The aromatic tobacco may be giving you a chemical bite, and that may have more bearing on your experience than your lighting technique.

I figured it out. :) I enjoyed a mild, tasty smoke and now I am not scared of non-aromatics. I am halfway through a bowl right now and have had no harshness or bite to speak of so far. Yay!

All of the above.

Plus, it's normal to go through several char lights (well spaced out) before it "takes." Especially with flakes.

Just one of those pipe things.

:face:

Big_Tex":9rzh31eg said:
I figured it out. :) I enjoyed a mild, tasty smoke and now I am not scared of non-aromatics. I am halfway through a bowl right now and have had no harshness or bite to speak of so far. Yay!
Well? Share with us the revelation.

8)

Kyle Weiss":qy02jwqf said:
Big_Tex":qy02jwqf said:
Well? Share with us the revelation.

8)
But of course!

I ended up doing (just as KevinM advised)...attempting to merely light the surface of the tobacco with shallow puffs instead of slurping the flame all the way up the stem. It resulted in (just as Yak mentioned) three char lights before finally taking. But the smoke never got bitter, acrid, or hot. I never realized how good a Virginia/burley tasted. Mild and sweet!

:cheers: Excellent! Simple solutions to larger problems are gratifying. :)