tongue bite

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pseudo Nim":zlmjp8hk said:
Dry your tabak, smoke it slow, avoid aro's and carefull packing, Good Luck.
I agree on every point Pseudo.

Yesterday, I tried an experiment which I read here somewhere. I packed my pipe in the morning for the evening drive home. Worked wonderfully, the baccy had dried enough to smoke comfortably with no bite & no "leather" mouth this morning.

I usually let mine dry for a least half an hour before lighting.
No tongue bite here.

paddy-boy":n7c74zw2 said:
I usually let mine dry for a least half an hour before lighting.
No tongue bite here.
Yeah, I'm finding out some tobaccos that seem dry out of the tin need a half hour of drying,,,,some aros improve with an hour of breathing,,,
but the moist blends that lose from drying I pack in a meer,,,

I have found for me moisture content of the tobacco, packing and body chemistry are the main causes of bite

I do know my body chemistry changes with some meds and all tobacco's will bite me

Usually I can even smoke Mcbarens without bite as long as it is dried a bit and packed the right way
but while taking some meds my everyday tobacco's that never bite bite like a dog

I tend to only get tongue bite from over smoking, or MAcBaren blends......

Drinking some water with Lemon jiuce in it (from the little plastic lemons) does help mitigate tongue bite.

To cure TB, I swish with warm water with a teaspoon of Baking soda. That takes the burn out of it right off.
You can buy Biotene...But it think Baking soda is cheaper. I also use Tom's Natural Mouth wash. It uses witchhazel instead of Alchohol, and has aloe vera.....It's great preventative......

I don't smoke Aro's often.....But Do smoke Virginias daily. I let them dry till almost crisp, then full rub out and don't pack to tight.....Also make sure you don't tamp until you can't relight, then only use the weight of the tamper....Over tamping can cause a need to over puff to keep lit....

I get tongue bite when I drink too much, but it's because I'm too drunk to observe the above suggestions.

Having said that I was smoking Escudo in a Tinsky Cavalier last night with a couple of glasses of J.W. Gold and didn't have any problems.

If you don't drink, try a nice tea. I find drinking plain ole spring water brings out the flavor in some tobaccos and cigars.

Tongue bite is something you want to get a handle on, but some pipes smoke cooler than others. Do you like Canadians?

Texas Outlaw":rnjys0x2 said:
I get tongue bite when I drink too much, but it's because I'm too drunk to observe the above suggestions.

Having said that I was smoking Escudo in a Tinsky Cavalier last night with a couple of glasses of J.W. Gold and didn't have any problems.

If you don't drink, try a nice tea. I find drinking plain ole spring water brings out the flavor in some tobaccos and cigars.

Tongue bite is something you want to get a handle on, but some pipes smoke cooler than others. Do you like Canadians?
I just re-read the thread and noticed I basically restated what Kilted said. Originally, VA's used to burn the hell out of me. Then I discovered long-stemmed pipes such as Canadians, which I really love.

Now, VA doesn't really bite me; however, a tobacco that once smoked cool for me is starting to bite on occasions: latakia blends.

Not sure if my body chemistry has changed or I finally found a pace that allows for maximum strength/flavor while still smoking cool.

I may just need to discover the right pipe to smoke English blends in. I own one cavalier and it loves escudo for some reason. I also tried it in a really flat straight Rhodesian and it seems to be a success.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Since I've switched from aromatics to Balkan / englishes I don't have the same problem with bite as I used to. I've also changed my packing technique which has helped.

Outlaw, actually I like shorter pipes and bents. But I'm always open to suggestions.

Aaron":is2zdfpc said:
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Since I've switched from aromatics to Balkan / englishes I don't have the same problem with bite as I used to. I've also changed my packing technique which has helped.

Outlaw, actually I like shorter pipes and bents. But I'm always open to suggestions.
I used to be a bent guy myself. Canadians allowed me to smoke VA's that at the time smoked too hot in my bents.

What packing technique are you using?

Well I don't know that it has a name... I basically just gravity fill to the top of the pipe and tamp down lightly and so on till I have as much in there as I want! And it seems to work for me.

I feel that a clean pipe with a clear draw makes a big difference when it comes to eliminating tongue bite.

I used to suffer tounge bite with my original pipe(no name drugstore brand). I was 19 trying to look cool in the bar, smoking 4 bowls a night in this pipe one on top of the other, smoking blue package sail or drum aro's and drinking way too much. I had no idea how to pack a pipe properly so i would wake up with a massive whiskey induced hangover and a tounge that tasted like ash for two days.

I did look cool though 8)

For me, a lot of tongue bite went away when I learned to keep my tongue out of the smoke stream. Previously, I was holding my tongue so as to taste the smoke. This resulted in the tip of my tongue being scalded.

Doug

I don't get tongue-bite any longer, altho I have been known to give it out! Ken :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: