tongue has raw feeling

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpramsey

Reaction score
I don't think it is pipe bite during every smoke. Could I have burned my tongue at some point and now the smoke is just irritating it? I'm thinking about holding off from pipes or cigars for a week or so. any thoughts?

Yeah its possible. The tongue is one of the fastest healing parts of the body though, so give it a few days or a week and try again. If it keeps feeling raw maybe look at varying different blends to see if the blend is disagreeing with you, or use a pipe that angles the smoke to the roof of your mouth, or try smoking slower (obvious but it cant hurt to try).

I had one of my worst experiences after eating a VERY large amount of really acidic salt and vinegar crisps, then smoking (too fast) a blend that bit me, then drinking some fizzy pepsi... it was like my tongue was on fire by the end. A very bad combo. Perhaps make sure its nothing you're eating that's contributing to it.

those damn chips (crisps) give me an ulcer every time I eat them

I'm pretty new to pipe smoking so take my suggestions with a grain of your favorite sodium compound (I'd probably avoid sodium cyanide though). Biotene mouthwash seems to help me when I've "blistered" my tongue. Also, a glass of water while smoking helps me keep my mouth hydrated. I'm sure other beverages would work as well as water but things like single malt scotch tend to set my tongue on fire if I have abused it.

Kim

Well, I think I'm right in saying this, but the feeling of tongue bite is actually a chemical burn as a result of alkaline tobaccos. So, acidic drinks while smoking (drinks like orange juice or the most commonly suggested drink; red wine) should help fight the problem. But once tongue bite's happend, the drinks wont help. Though if you drink enough red wine you probably wont feel the bite anymore :)

I've heard a lot of good things about Biotene, that's the synthetic saliva with enzymes wouthwash right? I've been trying to find it over here but if its available its certainly not common. Using it is supposed to help a lot with morning pipe breath, which I really dislike.

1. Your first instinct is a good one in this case...if something's not right with your mouth or tongue, don't make it worse. Put the pipes/cigars down until you're back on track.

2. Greyson's right...look for Biotene mouth wash. You're in the US, so it should be easy enough to find in any large grocery or drug chain. I started using the stuff about four months ago and it's a miracle worker.

what exactly is biotene? i understand its a mouth wash but what makes it different?

Tongue burn and tongue bite are different animals in the same zoo. One is from searing; a overworked pipeful meeting the lingus finis in a stream of hot steam (or, hot coffee) the other is a chemical reaction to sensitive (or greenhorn) tissues.

Both can improve with time and practice. Don't sip that coffee too hasty. :mrgreen:

8)

As a first response take a break for a week.

After that be sure your tobacco isn't too moist to begin with. Also be sure not to puff the wrong tobaccos too agressively. Learn to puff lightly or "sip" from the pipe for the more agressive tongue offending tobaccos. Further work on puffing less frequently.

You'll fine more-or-less happy mediums after some experience and some work. When in discomfort though, put the pipe aside.