Tony Lama MADE IN CHINA???????????????

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had me a righteous pair of boots I got back in '75 or so. Damned if I can remember the maker, but they lasted me up until a few years ago when I finally decided I wasn't going to wear them any more. 

Used to wear them regularly back in the 80's when I was still riding motorcycles. Very comfortable.

Wore them maybe once in the mid 90's at a brewery function and they still fit me like a glove. And then they sat. So decided to donate them to the local clothes charity.

Plenty of wear left on the soles. And the insides were in all but perfect shape. Someone got a good deal. 

They don't make them like that anymore I guess. Sure wish I could remember the manufacturer!

:scratch: 

Cheers,

RR

I still have my jump boots from many moons ago. Sure, they were issued, and sure, they were heavy. But nothing could stand the test of time like them. Don't know where they were made, but they look just like my father's, so the style hadn't changed much, just regular Government Issue black leather lace-ups.....

Oh, and they were one pair free with each year of service, so the price was right enough...........

Wouldn't mind a pretty pair of Schnitzel Kickers like y'all got for dancing though...........

Ozark Wizard":rdssct4s said:
I still have my jump boots from many moons ago. Sure, they were issued, and sure, they were heavy. But nothing could stand the test of time like them. Don't know where they were made, but they look just like my father's, so the style hadn't changed much, just regular Government Issue black leather lace-ups.....

Oh, and they were one pair free with each year of service, so the price was right enough...........

Wouldn't mind a pretty pair of Schnitzel Kickers like y'all got for dancing though...........
Ha! Yep, my daily wear is my old black Navy boots that I've had for years. I swear you can't wear them out. And yeah, VERY heavy, but that's okay, nowadays they're the only exercise I get at times. :lol:

Brewdude":ixujpmb3 said:
Had me a righteous pair of boots I got back in '75 or so. Damned if I can remember the maker, but they lasted me up until a few years ago when I finally decided I wasn't going to wear them any more. 

Used to wear them regularly back in the 80's when I was still riding motorcycles. Very comfortable.

Wore them maybe once in the mid 90's at a brewery function and they still fit me like a glove. And then they sat. So decided to donate them to the local clothes charity.

Plenty of wear left on the soles. And the insides were in all but perfect shape. Someone got a good deal. 

They don't make them like that anymore I guess. Sure wish I could remember the manufacturer!

Cheers,

Yeah BD, it seems all the quality has gone out of America nowadays. Dan Post use to be a good boot but, now there like wear'en a pair of cardboard boxes on your feet. I reckon there's several other makers still mak'en boots in the US but, there styles never interested me like Frye and few others. It's getting so I'll have to either go bare or wear the Chinese or Japanese made crap, oh hell! I don't leave the house much anyway. ;)

RR

Ozark Wizard":26i2cy7n said:

Cockroach killers my friend!

Simple Man":at1p067g said:
Ozark Wizard":at1p067g said:

Ha! Yep, my daily wear is my old black Navy boots that I've had for years. I swear you can't wear them out. And yeah, VERY heavy, but that's okay, nowadays they're the only exercise I get at times. :lol:
Yeah, I remember the old black engineer (Bill) boots a lot of the guys use to wear, I tried a pair on once, Gees! now I know why Frankenstein walked like he did. They had to weigh 10 pounds a piece.

Cartaphilus":k1lpc9d2 said:
Simple Man":k1lpc9d2 said:
Ozark Wizard":k1lpc9d2 said:

Yeah, I remember the old black engineer (Bill) boots a lot of the guys use to wear, I tried a pair on once, Gees! now I know why Frankenstein walked like he did. They had to weigh 10 pounds a piece.
That is for sure! :lol:

Cartaphilus":2agp6019 said:
Brewdude":2agp6019 said:

Cheers,

Yeah BD, it seems all the quality has gone out of America nowadays. Dan Post use to be a good boot but, now there like wear'en a pair of cardboard boxes on your feet. I reckon there's several other makers still mak'en boots in the US but, there styles never interested me like Frye and few others. It's getting so I'll have to either go bare or wear the Chinese or Japanese made crap, oh hell! I don't leave the house much anyway. ;)

RR

Ya, Frye was the mfr I was trying to remember. Thanks for the prompt Ron.

Cheers,

RR

My recently purchased Justin 3170 Ropers are "Handcrafted in the USA" according to a stamp on the inner shaft. I like them OK for knocking around in. I have even carried a .45 in the shaft, though it's not the most comfortable accommodation for such.

For what it's worth, here's a note from a respected Lucchese retailer regarding Lucchese boots. I wanted to know the difference between their Classic line and their cheaper 1883 line, besides the $400 or $500 price difference:

The Classic line by Lucchese is made in the U.S. and uses a different type of construction.  It also uses the highest grade of leather from their tanneries.  Both the heel and toe are customizable at no cost and other customizations can be made with a nominal fee.  Most Classics are made to order, however, there are many styles that already have sizes available (depending on the configuration requested).  Regarding the 1883 line, the brown label is also made in the US, whereas the red label boots are made in Lucchese locations outside of the US.

Personally, I prefer Fryes. I am biased though. My great grandfather wore them, my grandfather wore them, and now I wear them. Every boot I've seen of theirs is made in the USA, including my own: http://www.thefryecompany.com/logan-cap-toe/d/80156C19135?CategoryId=201.

I've worn those books trekking through the streets of London, Dublin, Edinburgh, and Rome. I've also worn them hiking on the hills and tels of Israel. I did not pay over $500 for my pair though.

My most recent pair were made in Mexico and so far I'm thrilled with them. They are branded under the Stetson name. We'll see over time. I have a pair of Tony Lama boots with a work boot sole and they're waterproof. I wear those in the winter. I got the impression when I bought them they were made in America but checking now I see they are made in China. Now I feel like I overpaid. I have a pair of Ariat boots which are clearly made in China and cost much less retail. I actually got these second hand at a flea market and paid a very fair price for them so am happy with that. I would like to have a decent pair made in America at some point but I'm not really in the market now though. I was quite taken with a Dan Post model with ostrich leg but at this point I don't know if they're American anymore either. I'd have to check.

MidWestBoots.com Has a very good assortment of made in the USA boots and shoes (work and casual). They do have a nice selection of Cowboy styled boots too.

I bought a pair of USA made Thorogood boots last Fall from Midwest boots; they're a very good fit and super comfortable. The company is also a pleasure to deal with.

<full disclosure - other than being a satisfied customer I have no affiliation with Midwest boots>

joshoowah":pm2l3r5z said:
Personally, I prefer Fryes. I am biased though. My great grandfather wore them, my grandfather wore them, and now I wear them. Every boot I've seen of theirs is made in the USA, including my own: http://www.thefryecompany.com/logan-cap-toe/d/80156C19135?CategoryId=201.

I've worn those books trekking through the streets of London, Dublin, Edinburgh, and Rome. I've also worn them hiking on the hills and tels of Israel. I did not pay over $500 for my pair though.
I use to spend quite a bit on my boots when I was still able to work but, nowadays if there more then $200 I just can't do it.

juanmedusa":x0z8vywk said:
My most recent pair were made in Mexico and so far I'm thrilled with them. They are branded under the Stetson name. We'll see over time. I have a pair of Tony Lama boots with a work boot sole and they're waterproof. I wear those in the winter. I got the impression when I bought them they were made in America but checking now I see they are made in China. Now I feel like I overpaid. I have a pair of Ariat boots which are clearly made in China and cost much less retail. I actually got these second hand at a flea market and paid a very fair price for them so am happy with that. I would like to have a decent pair made in America at some point but I'm not really in the market now though. I was quite taken with a Dan Post model with ostrich leg but at this point I don't know if they're American anymore either. I'd have to check.
Dan Post use to make a great boot but, the last pair I bought felt like I was wearing card board boxes on my feet and yes, they to are made in Mexico which I prefer over China. I still have them and do occasionally wear them because if nothing else they look great but, a day is all I can take in them.

RobJ":iv49gy81 said:
MidWestBoots.com Has a very good assortment of made in the USA boots and shoes (work and casual). They do have a nice selection of Cowboy styled boots too.

I bought a pair of USA made Thorogood boots last Fall from Midwest boots; they're a very good fit and super comfortable. The company is also a pleasure to deal with.

<full disclosure - other than being a satisfied customer I have no affiliation with Midwest boots>
Thank ya Rob, I checked them out and they do have reasonable prices but, nothing that blows my skirt up.
They handle mostly roper style western boots. I've never really liked the round toed boots since they came out.
Reckon I'm old fashioned. Like the "J" or "X" toes, even a slight clip toe is nice if done right. Reckon I shouldn't be so picky when I can't afford the quality I want but, such is life. Mama, use to always say "if horses were wishers, beggars would ride."

Well if you'd quit wearin' those tiny and tight mini skirts, you might find your skirt getting blown up a little more often.

:shock:

RobJ":89drlneo said:
Well if you'd quit wearin' those tiny and tight mini skirts, you might find your skirt getting blown up a little more often.

:shock:
Another funny man eh! Keep your day job sir :joker:

I had to look, my Tony's are made in USA, and my Justin Ropers are made in Mexico. The only boots I wear now are White's Boots out of Washington State. I have an odd foot size of 12 1/2 B and they have lasts for all sorts of sizes. I also have a high instep and typically have to stand in water a few times and wear em till they're dry to get a pair of boots to fit right. My Tony Lama's are bullhide and they have never stretched out. The White's are made in the USA, and their specialty is The Smokejumper boot that a lot of wildland firefighters wear. I have four pair and they are awesome. I don't have a pair of their Cowboy Boots, but will someday.

http://www.whitesboots.com/