Too early to think about winter?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrRetentive

Reaction score
The thermometer here in the Twin Cities has begun its slide as winter approaches. A few snowflakes have drifted by my window already.

While I like the change of seasons, I'm already feeling a little anxious about how I'm going to continue my new-found pipe hobby with no smoking allowed in the house and not even a screened in porch to retreat to.

I've recently joined the Great Northern Pipe Club, but meetings are just one afternoon a month. Driving to my nearest B&M pipe shop and smoking lounge is a half hour away. Standing out back for a decent puff will work until the mercury drops below 20 and the wind is howling.

Any creative ways to overcome this barrier of nature?

I left myself open for that one!

Work still calls until retirement next June and no vacation time, so I'm pretty much anchored in the land of wind and snow.

Down here in Jawja we don't get anything near as cold as ya'll, but I have a lttle radiant heater and smoke in the garage. Works for me. :D

monbla256":nb8x3x72 said:
Hermit":nb8x3x72 said:
MrRetentive":nb8x3x72 said:
Move!  :lol!: 
This :bounce:  Go to California :lol!: 
This may not necessarily cure what ails ya!  I'm in california, but we're at 6000 feet in the central sierra and I'de say we average around 200 inches of snow a year, and that's on the valley floor.  Go up the mountain and it easily doubles to 400 inches or so.  So it's never really too early to start thinking about winter 'round here, no.  And if you burn wood to stay warm like I do, you'de better not put of preparing for winter 'til the end of October, that's for sure!   :twisted: :twisted:

MrRetentive":5wicnu7b said:
The thermometer here in the Twin Cities has begun its slide as winter approaches. A few snowflakes have drifted by my window already.

While I like the change of seasons, I'm already feeling a little anxious about how I'm going to continue my new-found pipe hobby with no smoking allowed in the house and not even a screened in porch to retreat to.

I've recently joined the Great Northern Pipe Club, but meetings are just one afternoon a month. Driving to my nearest B&M pipe shop and smoking lounge is a half hour away. Standing out back for a decent puff will work until the mercury drops below 20 and the wind is howling.

What about creating a man cave in the garage? A propane heater should keep you cosy for the time in which you'll be there. Or howzabout a sealed room in the basement with an exhaust fan in the window?

And if you've no garage or basement, putting up one of those small storage sheds in the yard would also suffice. Just insulate it well, get that propane heater going, and you'll be golden.

And what's with "no smoking allowed in the house" anyway? Whose rule is that?

:scratch: 

Cheers,

RR

Just a caution on the propane heaters in closed garages.

Be careful not to asphyxiate yourself. I about sent myself to a hospital with a similar set up. I didn't even know the heater was burning up all the oxygen...until my lighter wouldn't work :shock: 

I was pretty sick that evening.

I'd say bundle up good, and counter that nip at your nose with a nice nosewarmer pipe! I think there's something wonderful about smoking in the snow.

Whats snow?

Just kidding... maybe, I think I've seen it before.

I say make yourself a large snow fort to block the wind and your set.

There are actually quite a few threads over in the cigar forums about making quasi man caves out of tool sheds. I'll smoke in the garage with an electric heater. Got a little beer fridge and strong wifi and I'm set.

Winter. Ugh.

My porch is my smoking lounge; not screened in....I have successfully smoked my pipe in the winter there, but getting used to it is tough - and there are days, sometimes stretches of days, when impossible.

We do have a patio and a chiminea (sp.?) - that often works well especially when I have time to build a fire and have a coffee or single-malt.....

The outdoor propane heater might give new life to the patio in winter.....lot sizes in my part of NJ don't allow for much man-cave construction....and the family would never agree to indoor puffing - been tortured with too much latakia!

I try not to smoke in the car as a rule -

Oh well....gotta work on the outdoor propane!