Too Much Thinking Not Enough Doing.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loco pony

Reaction score
I use to concern myself with the perfect packing, and lighting, charring, and speed by which to smoke my pipe. Until I gave up that stuff I struggled with every detail. From tobacco moister to cake building.
I have found the secret to success. Relax put tobacco in the pipe and light it, tamp and light again. The more you relax the better the results.

yess I found that your should not make your smoke something its not. don't compare it to other times. etc. etc.
just enjoy it

Yes, but often as I sit there enjoying my smoke, I begin to think . . . Now if dogs could smoke pipes, they'd probably be clenchers and trot about puffing away and wagging their tails contentedly. Some of us, wired differently, could only watch in envy.

BINGO !!! But without all that 'stuff" folks whine about, what would they post about? :twisted: :twisted: 

Politics. Lol.

My packing technique consists of put pipe in to tobacco use index finger to push tobacco into pipe, clean up the top, test drawl, light , tamp relight . Smoke until it goes out and then tamp and relight again continue till done.

Too Much Thinking Not Enough Doing. Yep, that's why mine goes out half the time, I get stuck a day dream :lol!:

Cartaphilus":jtg96o89 said:
Too Much Thinking Not Enough Doing. Yep, that's why mine goes out half the time, I get stuck a day dream :lol!:
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: 

I can relate.

KevinM":uncd4h6e said:
Yes, but often as I sit there enjoying my smoke, I begin to think . . .  Now if dogs could smoke pipes, they'd probably be clenchers and trot about puffing away and wagging their tails contentedly.  Some of us, wired differently, could only watch in envy.
I dunno, my dog is a holder....makes it tough when he is walking somewhere...then he is a clencher....most mostly a holder.  Very handsome feller he is.

Just to play devils advocate, did you stop thinking, or did the 'technique' just become second nature no longer requiring thought?

I gave up worrying about it and thinking about it. It only caused me frustration. Then I saw an old man pop the pipe in the pouch bring it up dress it up light it and smoke. So I said I will no longer fuss with it and do as this old timer and just go with it. Ever sense I have had much better results . It truely has been that the secret to success is to stop and relax.

I don't know, focusing on stuff like perfect packing charring, building cake, etc is whats fun for me. to me, the act of smoking has become almost a ritual. besides. Of course if you're stressing too much over technique your missing the point, but for some adhering to certain habits of pipe smoking can be calming and enjoyable.

Early focus on method is about achieving balance in the end*, and realizing what matters in the end is satisfaction. Once you get it, you get it. There's no teaching, training or technique that can match any attempt of a thing once an "ah-HA!" moment has been reached. It is indescribable as it is profound, except perhaps with a smile and natural simplicity of character. Pipes are one of the fine, symbolic microcosms of life. :heart:

May you repeat your successes!

8)

(* "...there is no end, there is no means--only yourself." )

Interesting in put.
I have never found ritual calming or settling. Personality type I guess. Probably why , while I believe in God, I abhor religion.
Freedom and freeflow have always been paramount to me.

loco pony":9zc697k5 said:
Interesting in put.
I have never found ritual calming or settling. Personality type I guess. Probably why , while I believe in God, I abhor religion.
Freedom and freeflow have always been paramount to me.
A unique thing about pipery and its practioners is that it's a little like religion in that it has many "points of entry." Commonality and individuality exist side by side.  Awhile back P&T magazine had an article detailing "Five Ways to Fill a Pipe." Very interesting, but if the best method you've found is to stick the bowl in the pouch and use the 'Magic Thumb' technique, who can say you shouldn't, as Pope Francis would say to the amazement of many:)

It's called kata in Japanese.   Not just "martial arts-related," t's a mindfulness of precise motion or action, as it's meaningful in the simplicity of approach, not necessarily the end result.  Why?  The result will improve no matter what if the beginning is wisely applied.  

Prayer is kata.
Pipe smoking is kata.
Learning is kata.
Thinking is kata.
Life is kata.

It transcends label or assumption, origin or theme.  

8)