Took my son hunting

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Young briar fan

Reaction score
10/16 marked the opening day of muzzle loader season for whitetail's. My son who is seen fishing in my avatar is 7 and sat with me in a ladder stand with his own rifle for the first time. He has been with me several times when I've taken deer but never got to hold the gun. We have went over gun safety and he is very accurate out to 100 yds. Since he is under 16 in GA he can shoot a modern rifle in black powder season. We didn't see anything but the time spent with him sitting in my lap asking me every question he has asked every other time we go was priceless. I hope he turns out to be a responsible, reasonable young man and I can't help but think that time spent like this will only help.

Young briar fan":renpdlr1 said:
I hope he turns out to be a responsible, reasonable young man and I can't help but think that time spent like this will only help.
This is gospel and good on you for taking the time to do it. There are way too many fatherless children out there and you are setting a good example for him by taking the time to be a father AND a dad.

One of the best impressions you could make on your son! Congrats on a day well spent! 8)

Young briar fan":va0s0ugc said:
We had a great time, but he missed!
That don't really matter...the time you guys shared is whats important.

I had a very troubled, spotty relationship with my parents until I was about 20. By that time, it was a little late, but I turned out the best I could--now my dad and I work together, and I kind of think of it as "making up for lost time." One way or the other, he needs ya, and good on you for making an impression on him...bagging a gorgeous deer or not! :)

Kyle Weiss":qrmfms3q said:
I had a very troubled, spotty relationship with my parents until I was about 20. By that time, it was a little late, but I turned out the best I could--now my dad and I work together, and I kind of think of it as "making up for lost time." One way or the other, he needs ya, and good on you for making an impression on him...bagging a gorgeous deer or not! :)
Don't know why, but this reminds me of the Mark Twain quote: "I ran away from home when I was 15 because my parents were such fools. When I returned home at age 21 I was surprised at how much they had learned." :D

My Dad passed away when I was 12 and for the rest of my teenage years I didn't have a good male role model. After quite a few years I finally turned out OK (I think :lol: ) but the importance of a father figure can never be overestimated, IMHO.

He just made sure all his camp is ready. We're gonna give it another try in the morning. Wish us luck.

Josjor":83q3urco said:
Don't know why, but this reminds me of the Mark Twain quote: "I ran away from home when I was 15 because my parents were such fools. When I returned home at age 21 I was surprised at how much they had learned." :D
My lineage is an unfortunate family history of drugs, alcohol and physical abuse, mental disturbance, violent suicides, and countless instances of bad choices large and small. What I did was have enough sense to guide myself, do the best I could under the circumstances and with further issues perhaps left undisclosed in public. Simply put, I never gave into any of it, addictions, self-destruction, crime or other negativity. I somehow, by my own constitution, held onto the good that happened in amongst these situations, became my own role model, and still have a lot of work to do. When my parents and I talk about these things, it's a work in progress, and we're constantly picking up the pieces. Much like a shattered vase, you think you get that last piece of glass just when your bare foot finds another... you just deal with it. I wish it were a simple case of adolescent arrogance against parents that did the best they could...even though, my parents did the best they could, that "best" probably wasn't the same as others. Thankfully, my father tried to do what he could based on his even-keeled sanity, more so in later years when I was almost an adult (he had figured more out by then, as I had), and continues to do so today, which is why I'm so close to him. We happen to be pretty good at not only learning from our own mistakes, but each others', and the rest of the family. So Twain's representation (I'm a big Twain fan) is accurate, to a degree.

Josjor":83q3urco said:
My Dad passed away when I was 12 and for the rest of my teenage years I didn't have a good male role model. After quite a few years I finally turned out OK (I think :lol: ) but the importance of a father figure can never be overestimated, IMHO.
That's a shame. I'm sorry to hear that--as I mention above, fathers have a huge impact on the guidance and importance sons have on the outlook and confidence of the future, let alone skills and the friendship necessary. Incidentally, I had a father, and he wasn't there for me through those impressionable young years...I almost envy those that do have any bit of that, and it makes me glad when I see a good dad trying. :) If you feel you turned out okay, then it's probably quite true.

I know it is with me. 8)

I take my 2 boy's hunting every chance i get,the time spent will last them a lifetime.

Your a good man YBF! I'm sure he'll grow up to be a man we can all respect.
It's not an easy role be a good father but, just being there for him is something that I expect a few of us never had.
My father was a drunk when he was there so my mother had a tough job.
And I wasn't the best of fathers myself and I punish myself every day for it, so it brings a smile to my face when I hear or see a real father in action. Don't ever stop! :D

My childhood of what I can remember is hunting and fishing with my dad. Alot of the rest is not worth remember unless your thinking of what not to do, after my dad was gone. I think our children when we are gone, will not remember us for how much money we have , things like that. They will remember us for the quality time we spent with them. I know I do with my dad.

Young Briar Fan:

"We had a great time, but he missed!"

Well dad, sounds to me like a great day out of doors for all, and that includes that elusive 10 pointer that crossed paths with your son. May they each acquire manly respect for one another. So what's for dinner?