Tools

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_In_Philly

Reaction score
To the extent I can, I maintain and repair my own vehicles. I'm not rebuilding tranys, but I am relatively competent. My grandfather owned a garage in Manhattan until the day he died. My uncle was a mechanic and owned a service station on Long Island before he went into teaching, and taught auto shop for 30 years. My dad didn't have formal automotive training, but was, understandably, a very capable mechanic.

My uncle always had box truck tools. My dad was a life long proponent of Craftsman. I always thought of Craftsman as the ideal tool for a guy like me. Better than the cheap Chinese imports, but not as good as the box truck stuff. The fact that they were American made and came with an outstanding warranty made them well worth the money in my mind.

The other day I needed a part for an old tool chest and I needed a new 1/2" ratchet so I stopped into Sears while the wife was doing her shopping. My earth was shattered when I learned that even the actual Craftsman line of tools are now being made in China. I knew the cheaper Evolv tools were, but I always assumed the regular full warranty tools were American made. Apparently within the past 10 years they have been moving more and more of their manufacturing overseas. The regular stuff still has the good warranty, but its not made here. Only the Professional Line and the Industrial Line (which can only be bought from a dealer) are still made in the US.

So what's a guy to do? I can't justify Snap-on or Matco for my needs. I guess I'll stick with the better imported stuff, with lifetime warranties. I don't think I can justify paying the premium Sears gets for Craftsman anymore. Who knows how long they will be around to honor the warranty, and if the tools aren't American made, what makes them worth any more than the other guys?

What do you guys use in the garage?

Sadly, this nation has sent nearly all of it's manufacturing to China. Not solely because of wages, but mainly because of the extremely burdensome regulations (EPA, OSHA, EEOC, labor unions, etc.) that drive up the cost. It's just easier and more cost effective to dial up China Inc., request that they produce the product, and ship 10,000 by next week. Done. No headaches or hassles.

I tend to lean conservative, but I'm a firm believer in tariffs on imported goods. Fair trade, not free trade. If a U.S. made product costs $100 at retail and a Chinese product costs $50, then slap a $50 tariff on the Chinese product. Now both cost $100. At that same price point, I think most folks are going to opt for the U.S. made product. I certainly would.

If a Chinese manufacturer doesn't like it, then build a factory in this country and employ Americans. Then the tariff would be lifted. Many foreign companies have done just that. Firms such as Honda, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, etc. build quality products here employing thousands of Americans. It can be done. Again, fair trade, not free trade.

I frequently seek out U.S. made tools and other products and willingly pay more to help out my fellow Americans. Unfortunately, most of the time we have no choice but to buy Chinese. Sad.

CACooper

Pawn shops and piece together your needs with Snap On and vintage Craftsman.

Also check facebook and craigslist. Lots of deals can be had on either.

I use the J.H. Williams line of tools. Made by Snap-On with the Snap-On warranty. However, they are a whole lot cheaper. I own and work on diesels. I have yet to have any of their tools have any issues. PM me if you want to know more. I have a complete set of sockets and socket wrenches in the box that I would let go for cheap. 1/2" to 1/4" drive.

Tools here

Kobalt from Lowes. Many are still made in the USA, some China. Or they were last time I looked.

Lifetime warranty good at any Lowes. I prefer them to Craftsman.

I bought my craftsman tools when they were made here. S&K Wayne, Allen, and Snapon also fill the toolbox.

I've also have been buying Kobalt lately, good tools at a good price, but I check the country of manufacture first. Some are only assembled here.

My most recent purchase was Snap On. Prior to that, Montana Brand Tools for American made drill/driver bits, adapters, accessories. Otherwise, auctions. I get lots of old USA made tools in auctions. Besides. A man can never have enough 1/2"wrenches. Or 7/16" for that matter. I have a drawer full.