Toothpaste

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbo

Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
As I don't have access to a buffing wheel (the joys of renting) I was thinking of what to use to give my stems that little bit of extra shine when cleaning and removing oxidisation from them. After sanding with micromesh pads, I grabbed my smokers mixture toothpaste, the slightly gritty stuff, and gave the stem a good scrub then rinsed under warm water. It came up lovely and shiny, not as good as a buffer but I'm happy with the result. 

As an added bonus the above process works to clean sandblasts beautifully too. 

Cheers

Tim

Yup, I even use tooth paste to restore old single edge razors to shine like new. Even removes rust but takes some elbow grease. Also a great chrome polish. Over 1001 uses for tooth paste :cheers:

Timbo, glad you also find tooth paste useful other than to brush your teeth....lol

YOU WONDER WHERE THE YELLOW WENT WHEN YOU BRUSH YOUR STEM WITH PEPSODENT

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":b2wk25d5 said:
Yup, I even use tooth paste to restore old single edge razors to shine like new. Even removes rust but takes some elbow grease. Also a great chrome polish. Over 1001 uses for tooth paste  :cheers:  

Timbo, glad you also find tooth paste useful other than to brush your teeth....lol

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Ted, isn't this the commercial with Bucky Beaver? Seem to remember this back in the day. Ya, I'm an old fart! ;)

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":p1ujj9to said:
Ted, isn't this the commercial with Bucky Beaver? Seem to remember this back in the day. Ya, I'm an old fart!  Wink
Youbetcha, you have a great memory.
The original...." you wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent ".

I used the word STEM to be puny..... :twisted:
Well, at least I got a good laugh!

By the way you can still purchase Pepsodent at Dollar Tree. It's the ONLY tooth paste that makes my teeth squeak after brushing.  It's that good still.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":3amycn01 said:
Brewdude":3amycn01 said:
Ted, isn't this the commercial with Bucky Beaver? Seem to remember this back in the day. Ya, I'm an old fart!  Wink
Youbetcha, you have a great memory.
The original...." you wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent ".

I used the word STEM to be puny..... :twisted:
Well, at least I got a good laugh!

By the way you can still purchase Pepsodent at Dollar Tree. It's the ONLY tooth paste that makes my teeth squeak after brushing.  It's that good still.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Actually, it's what I'm brushing with right now. About 2 bucks at my grocery store. Still works just fine as compared to all those higher priced brands. I get just as good an evaluation at my cleanings!

Cheers,

RR

OK, done with the hijax!

Truly a universal polisher!

If ever I was detached on duty and forgot my metal polish, toothpaste was a great alternative for polishing the brass buckle on my RAF belt. Needed a bit muscle but it worked well. Smelt good too!

Cheers gents, at least with toothpaste, if you get any in the bowl its a lovely minty ghost for the first few puffs. :)

It also polishes the nickel on my Pete systems well. Not as quickly as Brasso, but tastes much nicer in case of mishap. 

Cheers

Tim

Another use of toothpaste — it gets rid of the oxidation on your car headlights.

KevinM ":ztirf1y7 said:
Another use of toothpaste — it gets rid of the oxidation on your car headlights.
Thanks for sharing!! I know there are 1001 uses for tooth paste but I never thought of trying it on headlights to remove oxidation. Will give it a go on my son's vehicle one day soon.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Brewdude":t1ces59n said:
Lonecoyote":t1ces59n said:
Yup, I even use tooth paste to restore old single edge razors to shine like new. Even removes rust but takes some elbow grease. Also a great chrome polish. Over 1001 uses for tooth paste  :cheers:  

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Ted, isn't this the commercial with Bucky Beaver? Seem to remember this back in the day. Ya, I'm an old fart!  ;)

Cheers,

RR
No, Bucky pitched Ipana.   :lol: 

buckyOld.png

Hermit ^^^^^^^^^^^

WOW, did you just bring back fond memories!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":e31av09p said:
Hermit ^^^^^^^^^^^

WOW, did you just bring back fond memories!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
I actually remembered Ipana as soon as Bucky was mentioned.
Can't remember what I did yesterday, but I remembered that.   :pale:

Hermit":m6s14prl said:
Brewdude":m6s14prl said:
Lonecoyote":m6s14prl said:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Ted, isn't this the commercial with Bucky Beaver? Seem to remember this back in the day. Ya, I'm an old fart!  ;)

Cheers,

RR
No, Bucky pitched Ipana.   :lol: 

buckyOld.png
Right you are Herm. I'd forgotten about Ipana until just now. Yup, that's Bucky beaver!

Brusha, brusha, brusha with the new Ipana!

Cheers,

RR

Late add FYI: yesterday I was at the Honda dealership and the service writer asked if I wanted my headlights polished now that the nights are longer. I said it was a DIY job, and I used toothpaste. He said he considers Arm and Hammer plain toothpaste (no flavor, just the old straight stuff) the best brand for the purpose of polishing plastic headlamp covers. I’m gonna try it for .88 a tube.

KevinM":rdloy5ql said:
Late add FYI:  yesterday I was at the Honda dealership and the service writer asked if I wanted my headlights polished now that the nights are longer.  I said it was a DIY job, and I used toothpaste. He said he considers Arm and Hammer plain toothpaste (no flavor, just the old straight stuff) the best brand for the purpose of polishing plastic headlamp covers. I’m gonna try it for .88 a tube.
Great tip Kev. Gracias!

Cheers,

RR

FYI — I was talking to my garage guy (the one who gave me the toothpaste tip) and he said I’d done a pretty good job on my headlights, but added, you’ll need to do it again. ‘Course he declined to guarantee that his $100 job was more permanent than my own $2.99 DIY job. He did say his professional last step was a coat of clear coat, Ah, you mean the stuff that’s been known to peel off cars?, I asked. Wise guy, he replied. I don’t recall that headlight maintenance was a challenge on my ‘66 Chevy. Apart from headlamps that fog up, I find the front end design of new cars gets ridiculouser and ridiculouser.