Top 5 tobaccos

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stogiegila

Reaction score
I've tried searching this without success. I can't believe I couldn't find a post like this. This was always huge on the cigar boards.

So what are your current top 5 tobaccos?

So far for me in no special order and considering many of my old ones are no longer available:

McClelland Old Dog
Butera Pelican
4 Noggins Bald Headed Teacher
GL Pease Chelsea Morning
Dunhill MM 965

No fair any of you guys that have huge cellars full of discontinued stuff like MM965 :tongue:

Edited to update my picks - 12-07-10

There are many threads like this here, If you cant find them, ask Jason.
I have some 965 that is 12 yrs old courtesy of Natch! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

1. FVF
2. OJK
3. McClelland 2015
4. C&D Plantation Evening
5. Solani ABF
6. Butera Kingfisher
7. OGS
8. Prince Albert
9. Escudo
10. Walnut

Top 5 is a little hard for me! sorry!

Based on my recent exposure to quality baccy from across the pond I would have to say;
  1. C&D Billy Budd
  2. C&D Good Morning
  3. C&D Morley's Best
  4. GLP Westminister
  5. C&D Pirate Kake
  6. Rattray's Red Rapparee
  7. C&D Bayou Morning
  8. C&D Burley Flake #4
Sorry a bit more than 5 but those were the ones that stood out for me

Orlik Golden Sliced
GLPease Union Square
Rattrays old Gowry
Jock (van Erkoms)
Peterson University Flake

I could go on but you said 5...

Falconer":4juz1et6 said:
Mine are listed under that handsome avatar on the left! 8)
do you do anything special with your opening night? (dry it out or something?) i've got some and i haven't been able to get a good smoke out of it yet, still bitter and harsh (even out of that miracle pipe!)

FVF, Old Gowrie, Laurel Heights, Westminster, Embarcadero. That'll do for now.

Over the last couple of months I've been smoking mostly:

G.H. & co. Curly Cut regular
SG Medium Virginia
Uhle's 00
MacBaren Burley London Blend
Uhle's 300

Piet Binsbergen":g5t0s0rl said:
There are many threads like this here, If you cant find them, ask Jason.
I have some 965 that is 12 yrs old courtesy of Natch! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

1. FVF
2. OJK
3. McClelland 2015
4. C&D Plantation Evening
5. Solani ABF
6. Butera Kingfisher
7. OGS
8. Prince Albert
9. Escudo
10. Walnut

Top 5 is a little hard for me! sorry!
OK I know I've been out of it for a while (10 years actually) but I can't make out some of the abbreviations Piet:
FVF
OGS :suspect:

At least I know OJK = Old Joe Krantz :lol:

Piet's out this evening, so let me step in.

FVF - Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake
OGS - Orlik Golden Sliced

Both great Va's, but FVF, being the best tobacco in the world, is of course better.

Pretty much if it burns and tastes good I'll smoke it

Virginia
Perique
Syrian Latakia
Cyprian Latakia
Burley

Oh yeah,Orientals, Kentucky, and even some Maryland Tobacco

:lol!:

bruins":3lxkzmz0 said:
Falconer":3lxkzmz0 said:
do you do anything special with your opening night? (dry it out or something?) i've got some and i haven't been able to get a good smoke out of it yet, still bitter and harsh (even out of that miracle pipe!)
Bru, you might try rubbing it out and then letting it set for a half hour first. (Do you know how many times I had to rewrite this sentence before I could post it?) :lol!:

Also I've only smoked this in my well seasoned 30 year old pipes so I don't know how it would do in a new one.
I haven't noticed any harshness but it could be the nicotine, it is straight virginias.

I wouldn't give up on just yet. ;)

Muddler":nskck7ua said:
Piet's out this evening, so let me step in.

FVF - Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake
OGS - Orlik Golden Sliced

Both great Va's, but FVF, being the best tobacco in the world, is of course better.
Tanks for clearing that up For Stogie in my absence Mudd!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Falconer":o2dro8w7 said:
bruins":o2dro8w7 said:
Falconer":o2dro8w7 said:
Bru, you might try rubbing it out and then letting it set for a half hour first. (Do you know how many times I had to rewrite this sentence before I could post it?) :lol!:

Also I've only smoked this in my well seasoned 30 year old pipes so I don't know how it would do in a new one.
I haven't noticed any harshness but it could be the nicotine, it is straight virginias.

I wouldn't give up on just yet. ;)
Who's the baccy Guru now Brother Dutch???
Wll put and well said my man, we are proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Top Five:

Park Lane Red Paramour
PCCA / McClelland Beacon
GLP Key Largo
Dunhill EMP
SG MVF / SG FVF (Tie)

Honorable mentions go to Solani 633 and Hearth & Home. They have so many that I like, I couldn't list them all in only five picks...........Now, if you were to ask??????

DoverPipes":jpwemn4o said:
They have so many that I like, I couldn't list them all in only five picks...........Now, if you were to ask??????
don't ask, Stogiegila! it's a trap!!! we've seen this before. he'll give you a bad case of the TADs. your bank account may never recover. (he's already got half the BoB looking for a can of 100 year old walnut...)

bruins":pfafubry said:
DoverPipes":pfafubry said:
They have so many that I like, I couldn't list them all in only five picks...........Now, if you were to ask??????
don't ask, Stogiegila! it's a trap!!! we've seen this before. he'll give you a bad case of the TADs. your bank account may never recover. (he's already got half the BoB looking for a can of 100 year old walnut...)
Ditto that!

BTW, Dover is a Legend too Bruins!!!!
What ever you do, Don't give him your mail addy. He will bomb you with baccy that will screw up your entire tobacco education. Dover introduced me to my now beloved AM pipe and McC. 2015!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

You guys are bad!!! Especially the ones that store stuff up for winter, what are you grizzly bears or something. I buy a few tins and begin to smoke them immediately. I was the same way with my cigars. I can't age anything.....I need it now.

No fair to you guys that still have stock of stuff that is no longer available :tongue:

Dover, I'm staying away from you before you get me into trouble. :lol: