Topping/Casing Tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
Other than sugar, do blenders feel that they have to add tastes in order for the pipe public to like them; is there evidence that pipers like the topped version any more than an untopped version? Moreover, is topping tobacco part of some tradition that is followed simply because "that's the way it's always been done."

It's the Taco Bell approach I think. Take a Burley, add a topping and you now have two products to sell,,,

I try to be a purist and try to enjoy types of tobacco and different processing procedures and stay away from flavorings. I'm still on the fence if I consider the addition of just sugar pure or not. Cavendish is kind of one of the unique tobaccos you get only in pipes. Latakia is kinda flavoring and kind of processing but something about infusing tobacco with the smoke from wood just feels right to me.

In short, i don't like toppings or flavorings.

mark":td9nrd6t said:
It's the Taco Bell approach I think. Take a Burley, add a topping and you now have two products to sell,,,
And with the purchase of two tins, get 25% off the third!!

All tobacco is cased with spray of sugar and water to bring out the natural flavors, but not all tobaccos are flavored. Flavored blends are aromatics and the only aro that I like so far is 7 Seas Royal. The other side of the discussion are the English/Oriental/VaPer blends that I smoke as well. I buy McClelland's Frog Morton on the Town Greg Pease's Kensington and Blackpoint blends. I just ordered a tin of McConnell's Scotish Blend which is an English with perique added to it which, from what I can figure out, makes it a Scottish blend. I prefer to smoke blends of different tobaccos for flavor rather than a blend topped with vanilla, chocolate, whiskey, etc. ;)

FYI: Not ALL tobacco is cased with a spray of sugar and water. In fact I even avoid spraying my tobacco plants with plain water in order to avoid sun scald. (Drip irrigation is the way to grow.)

Greg Pease, who visits us regularly, wrote a piece (alas, I cannot find it) suggesting that most (leaning close to all) tobacco is treated in some fashion with a solution containing some amount of sugar and binders. Some get more than others, some get casing/flavoring, and some get treated even further. Apparently it's used almost like salt would be on a steak, to make it taste "more tobacco-like," or as a carrier of flavor (and I suspect burnability) than anything. Yes, tobacco can lack any added sugar whatsoever, but I hear reports it is often flat and unspectacular.

Toppings are added to tobaccos to enhance the aroma. We all know that some tobaccos have top notes added and some don't.
Casings affect taste. I've read in many places that all tobaccos are cased to some degree, if not by the blender they are cased by his sources.

What you are forgetting Alfredo is that 'pipe forum guys' are the elitest in the pipe world. I'm not meaning that in a negative connotation..
Imagine a guy that drives a mustang, now imagine another guy that drives a mustang, hangs out on mustang forums, mods his mustang, trys various gas to see what it runs best on, changes tires to get the best performance. etc etc etc
They are both mustang drivers but one is in a special group..
Along that train of thought, not every mustang owner will pay a premium for hi-po coils, its why they don't come with them from the factory.. most guys are ok with 'regular'

Regular in pipe world IS sadly cheap cased tobacco..( I don't mean insult if this is your fave blend or whatever)
Middleton cherry is Middleton Cherry because they can't compete with Philip Morris or RJ Reynolds for the premo weed. Their demographic will not pay for it. Greg Pease, McClellands, C&D, even Dunhill are tiny compared to those type operations.. And you pay for it in every tin... You could say a tin of McC virginia is the hi-po coils of the pipe world...

Make sense?

Josjor":ufqgodly said:
Kyle Weiss":ufqgodly said:
Greg Pease, who visits us regularly, wrote a piece (alas, I cannot find it)
Here it is: http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Pipe_Tobaccos#Cased_Tobacco.3F
Thank you!

And PB, excellent comparison. It's likened to one I use when people ask me why The Hub Coffee here in Reno versus "just going to Starbucks." We're snobs. We demand excellence. Every nuance is important, talked about, considered, debated and executed in a particular way. Starbucks is Starbucks aka regular, our coffee is Hub Coffee. It's not $6.99 per pound (it's $14 per 12 oz). There's a reason for it. There's also a reason why Starbucks burns its beans: that's the flavor. Coffee can also be "cased" in flavors--and people like to add gobs of their own (cream, sugar, etc)--and there's a reason for it.

Most pipe tobaccos are cased, but not all of them. According to what I have read, licorice, or sugar water are the most popular and used for the longest time. And no, you don't taste the licorice, it just takes the bitterness,and edge off. A lot of blenders use semantics to avoid saying their tobacco is flavored. I have ordered many a tobacco said to be just pure this or that, and get it, and it tastes like a chocolate bar, or cotton candy. Like, I am sure many others on here, I have smoked pure tobacco from the field, and know what it tastes like. I think C&D produces the most pure blends I have found.

In addition, entomologists say the tobacco beetle larvae will not eat cased, topped, or steamed tobacco, they only eat pure tobacco. About ten years ago, I went on vacation and forgot to turn on the A/C. It got up in the high eighties for several days. I had about 60 jars of tobacco in the den. Only the C&D and Pease jars had been attacked by beetles. The tobacco beetle eggs are indigenous to virtually all tobacco, so the mere presence of them was nothing to be shocked about. This just further proved to me that of the 60 or so jars in my den, only the C&D and Pease blends were made from pure unadulterated tobacco.

I just read a slough of information on something I had never heard of before--tobacco beetles.

Smoker99, did they actually chew through the cans into your C&D and Pease blends? I read the buggers are voracious, but that's just scary!

Kyle Weiss":bfec1wmp said:
I just read a slough of information on something I had never heard of before--tobacco beetles.

Smoker99, did they actually chew through the cans into your C&D and Pease blends? I read the buggers are voracious, but that's just scary!
My tobacco was all in jars, but no, they only eat pure tobacco. The Cubans are the ones with the biggest problem with beetles, and they have tried every manner of eradicating them. They have tried pesticides, microwaving, and currently use flash freezing for several weeks last I heard. I have also read that the primary reason most blenders case tobacco is to eliminate the risk of beetle infestation in storage. Don't know this first hand though.

Smoker99":gdllp7ms said:
Kyle Weiss":gdllp7ms said:

My tobacco was all in jars, but no, they only eat pure tobacco. The Cubans are the ones with the biggest problem with beetles, and they have tried every manner of eradicating them. They have tried pesticides, microwaving, and currently use flash freezing for several weeks last I heard. I have also read that the primary reason most blenders case tobacco is to eliminate the risk of beetle infestation in storage. Don't know this first hand though.
I've never heard of beetles being a problem with pipe tobacco, fortunately. I have lost a small humi full of cigars to beetles before though. That ain't a pretty sight.

This isn't from my collection. Just a sample of the destructive power of Baccy Beetles:

beetle10.jpg

Yeah tobacco beetles will hatch above 80*F, they're present in a lot of tobacco but they're so tiny you'd never see them. If you keep your tobacco under 75*F beetles *should* never be a problem. And unlike cigars pipe tobacco has a bunch of different processing that will kill the eggs such as heat treatments, fire curing, latakia, etc... so since a lot of our tobaccos see some sort of process that kills the eggs we don't have those problems, plus if a beetle bites a hold in a piece of tobacco we don't notice or really care, AND we store tobacco in sealed containers that eventually have a oxygen lacking environment so they can't live anyways.

Geez, it's amazing they went after a couple of cigars really hard but then hardly touched the others...

...I suppose the eggs are just present in the tobacco, and like little bombs, go off when the conditions are right--as said, provided the tobacco is untreated and practically fresh from the field. Makes me glad I like Latakia! :lol:

Interesting.

At least it wasn't good cigars Uber... (try to laugh so you don't cry... my god)