torch lighter thoughts?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burritosdaily

Reaction score
Guys, okay before you open fire on me.... I have read repeatedly to use a soft flame with my pipes.

But, I smoke outside 90% of the time. It is a huge struggle using a soft flame due to the wind... and I don't feel I get a great light (and my soft flame lighter is a great Xicar pipe lighter). So, I have experimented with using my torch but holding it a good distance from the briar and holding it perfectly vertical... also only holding it there for a very short period of time. I find that I am getting a good light on the pipe with a great smoke and little struggle.

Am I really doing that much damage with this method? Anyone else experimented with this?

Thanks!

If I'm ridin' the John Deere, I'll light a cob with a torch,
but I wouldn't dream of doing that to a briar.

I don't think that I would even flirt with the idea of putting a torch near any of my pipes. If necessary, I duck into a corner, hide inside my jacket, go inside just to relight, or wait until later if needed. However, I am pretty lucky with my zippo, I very rarely have any trouble lighting up outside.

The Janitor

One of the videos on YouTube touting the "Franck method" of packing the pipe swears up and down that, with extreme caution, a torch gives a good clean light with no harm to the pipe.

Whether or not this is specifically true, I don't have a steady hand or "extreme caution" much of the time, especially that first pipe of the day.

On the flipside, there was a good article on A Passion for Pipes which suggested that the temperature of your lighting device is enough to affect the flavor of your tobacco.

I love my Old Boy, but I'll take my chances with matches for 90% of my pipe needs.

I admit that there are times when I use a torch to light up a briar pipe --- but after reading that article on A Passion for pipes, I have limited this practice to extreme circumstances (i.e. very windy weather). I use an Old Boy 95% of the time -- as that article attests, this means I still use a very hot fire source, which is not ideal relative to matches

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Bad idea, just never ever, ever, ever do it!!!
The guys have just explained so I have nothing else to add, besides that I too smoke outside and need be I light up in the doorway and then smoke on the patio or wherever.

You could also try a wind cap!
Good luck, I know it's a pain in the butt!!

I refuse to use a torch lighter even on large ring gauge cigars; and on a briar ... no way Jose! As far as using wooden matches in windy outdoor situations, there are tricks to the matter but certainly not always an easy task.

My Zippo pipe lighter works fairly well in the wind. And I love the wooden matches. I always consider a "pipe well packed, smoke well done" if I can smoke a full bowl on just two matches. :rabbit:

ftrplt":3o6021nc said:
I use nothing but wooden matches. Can be a pain in the wind, I admit! FTRPLT
A purist, and a man after my own heart. A truly noble way to preserve tradition!

Preserving tradition,,,,

A small ember plucked from the hearth and placed atop the bowl shall givist the tobako life, paired with a flagon of hearty cyser, no other soothment be desired.

mark":mwtrb39o said:
Preserving tradition,,,,

A small ember plucked from the hearth and placed atop the bowl shall givist the tobako life, paired with a flagon of hearty cyser, no other soothment be desired.
Man, I like that!

mark":0phgtzsq said:
Preserving tradition,,,,

Hear, hear! Now someone please fetch me my clay...

As far as I know the precursors of the modern wooden safety matches (i.e., stick matches) were in use by the time the briar pipe became popular in the mid to late 1850's. I would need to look it up, but I recall that in A. Dunhill's "The Pipe Book" there is a reference to the close association between modern European pipe smoking and the wax vesta. It would of course need to be confirmed by a bit of research, but my impression has always been that there was a close association between the use of small disposable matches and the briar pipe from the second half of the 19th century forward. That is what I had in mind when referencing the idea of 'tradition'.

In any case, I still prefer wooden matches ... and will cling tenaciously to my admittedly probably rather idiosyncratic fantasy that the only truly proper way to light a pipe is with a wooden match. If wooden safety matches are ever outlawed, then I will make my own white pine splints, carry them around in an antique match safe, light them with a lighter (I would probably buy a Corona for this purpose since they have such a stellar reputation for good workmanship) and then use that lighted splint to kindle my pipe.

Kapnismologist":kocis0mx said:
mark":kocis0mx said:
Preserving tradition,,,,

Hear, hear! Now someone please fetch me my clay...

As far as I know the precursors of the modern wooden safety matches (i.e., stick matches) were in use by the time the briar pipe became popular in the mid to late 1850's. I would need to look it up, but I recall that in A. Dunhill's "The Pipe Book" there is a reference to the close association between modern European pipe smoking and the wax vesta. It would of course need to be confirmed by a bit of research, but my impression has always been that there was a close association between the use of small disposable matches and the briar pipe from the second half of the 19th century forward. That is what I had in mind when referencing the idea of 'tradition'.

In any case, I still prefer wooden matches ... and will cling tenaciously to my admittedly probably rather idiosyncratic fantasy that the only truly proper way to light a pipe is with a wooden match. If wooden safety matches are ever outlawed, then I will make my own white pine splints, carry them around in an antique match safe, light them with a lighter (I would probably buy a Corona for this purpose since they have such a stellar reputation for good workmanship) and then use that lighted splint to kindle my pipe.
Wow. I'm inspired.... matches it will forever be! :cheers: