Totality 2017

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the reminder!!! Enjoy your night of smoking your favorites and relax. :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Got my glasses, my ticket, and lenses for the cameras.. I'm totally pumped for this! :cheers:

I'll be traveling a little bit south to catch this at an animal sanctuary. Had to buy tickets, but that means I should be relatively cut off from the masses that'll be swarming Oregon. Looking forward to the event!

Thanks for posting this Rande. Back in 1969 or '70 I was fortunate to be living up in the Northeast corner of my home State, North Carolina when there was a total eclipse. I was only 19 or 20 years old and thought it was totally (pun intended) awesome. :fpalm:  I'm all excited about seeing this one however, where I live now, we will only see about 90% totality.  :bounce:

AJ

I'm finding this some what humorous. The sun is in the sky during daylight hours, the moon will be occluding some or all of it depending on your location. People are buying tickets/making reservations to see it. Think about that a minute. To my mind, this beats pet rocks! Told the wife to pick up a couple of the glasses next time she goes to the store. I'll set a coupe of lawn chairs out on the lawn. I'll get comfortable with a glass of iced tea, put on my two dollar glasses and look up. I'll say "OOHH" a couple of times.

WarlockBob":btzov30k said:
I'll be traveling a little bit south to catch this at an animal sanctuary. Had to buy tickets, but that means I should be relatively cut off from the masses that'll be swarming Oregon. Looking forward to the event!
Return your tickets and I'll give you my Mom's phone number! She lives between Prineville and Madras on 500+ acres of Grizzly Butte. You can go there for free! I'm totally serious by the way

I'm going to have 1:15 of total darkness here at the house. I was going to take the kids about 20 minutes north to a small lake we have been fishing at so we could get 2:15 of total darkness. I've decided that the extra minute isn't worth dealing with 5 million people. We're staying home.

bosun1":1a2ox6zr said:
I'm finding this some what humorous...
Oh, sure, you can say that as a 21st century know-it-all in your Fancy Dan lawn chair, but there was a time when this was serious business. Ancient priests found these occurrences quite useful for wowing and controlling the herd. Show some respect. ;)

AJ":jm8ray73 said:
Thanks for posting this Rande. Back in 1969 or '70 I was fortunate to be living up in the Northeast corner of my home State, North Carolina when there was a total eclipse. I was only 19 or 20 years old and thought it was totally (pun intended) awesome. :fpalm:  I'm all excited about seeing this one however, where I live now, we will only see about 90% totality.  :bounce:

AJ
I remember that day well. The famous psychic Jeanne Dixon proclaimed that the world was going to end that day. Living in a small town in Ky. and being brainwashed as a Catholic, and being about 13, my mom told us to get down on our knees and say our last prayers as it started getting dark. Sad but now comical.

All set her in Louisville. We will be at 96%. More excited though to see how my 6 year old reacts to it.

Richard Burley":xoo3ro2y said:
bosun1":xoo3ro2y said:
Oh, sure, you can say that as a 21st century know-it-all in your Fancy Dan lawn chair, but there was a time when this was serious business. Ancient priests found these occurrences quite useful for wowing and controlling the herd. Show some respect. ;)
That's why I'm going, gotta charge up my chakras and begin the human sacrifices; how else are we supposed to bring the rain back?

:geek:

I've experienced 2 partials.

First one as a wee lad of around 10 when I was attending YMCA summer camp on Long Lake in SE Wiz-can-sin. They herded all the campers into the mess hall so we wouldn't be tempted to look at the eclipse and burn our retinas.

I guess one the councillors found out I really wanted to see it, so they had rigged up a shadow box. This was simply a cardboard box that one put over your head. It had a small hole on one side and a piece of white paper attached to the other. When one directed the hole at the eclipse, you could then see the shadow reflected onto the white paper. I remember seeing a small sun orb with about a 1/4 of it being covered by the moon. Looked like a crescent. That was great, but not all that exciting. And I was careful not to look directly at the eclipse on my way out and back to the mess hall. Also remember that the daylight didn't seem any different than in full sunshine.

Next time was sometime in the early 80's. I was welding back then and went out of the shop with my welding mask and proceeded to look at it through the darkened glass in the helmet. Didn't know if this would be sufficient, but figured if it protected my eyes during welding it would be OK. And it turned out it was since I didn't experience any ill effects. Again this was about 1/4 eclipse, and there might have been a slight decrease in sunlight but I wouldn't swear to it.

This one will be pretty close to totality where I am. Think it's like 96%, and I plan to pick up some of the special glasses. Still have my welding helmet but this time I'm not going to chance it seeing as I only have one working eye these days.

And then today in the newspaper I read that there are some bogus glasses that aren't made to the specs that are needed. They're even stamped with the right logo that the bastards got off the net. So I'll be sticking with the brands they recommended. No way am I going to jeopardise the only eye I've got left!

:shock:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":r82shdh0 said:
And then today in the newspaper I read that there are some bogus glasses that aren't made to the specs that are needed. They're even stamped with the right logo that the bastards got off the net. So I'll be sticking with the brands they recommended. No way am I going to jeopardise the only eye I've got left!
Hopefully the ones we got from the local astronomical society are the real deal! 8)

I think it's supposed to be 96% here at the zoo, so I booked a small plane to fly up to KC and see it from a friend's place.....

I tell you what. If I was in Oregon I would be on the headwaters of the Deschutes to watch this. Make predictions, sacrifices, and carve runes in the stones.

Inti and Mama Killa will dance together.

Richard Burley":cyof7vib said:
bosun1":cyof7vib said:
CNN said there was nothing to worry about! Should I be worried? You never know with this faux news thing!

bosun1":3ib7xfp2 said:
Richard Burley":3ib7xfp2 said:
bosun1":3ib7xfp2 said:
CNN said there was nothing to worry about!  Should I be worried?  You never know with this faux news thing!
You had me at "CNN said..." Now I am frightened. I'd say it's every man for himself, and watch for looters.

Hmmm........

Can't seem to find any store in my area that has the special glasses. I would've thought they'd be selling like hotcakes.

I see I can get them from amazon but the smallest quantity I can get is a 4-pk and I only need one pair. So I'll continue to look around. Maybe Target or somewhere sells single pairs.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":hw9d4dzc said:
Hmmm........

Can't seem to find any store in my area that has the special glasses. I would've thought they'd be selling like hotcakes.

I see I can get them from amazon but the smallest quantity I can get is a 4-pk and I only need one pair. So I'll continue to look around. Maybe Target or somewhere sells single pairs.

Cheers,

RR
This should point you in the right direction to obtain the special glasses you need. CLICK HERE :)

AJ

I'm right smack dab in the middle of the eclipse path. I'll be watching from the roof of the hospital where I work, the only question is whether I'll be able to drive home in under an hour or not.