Totality 2017

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only another 10 days :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Enjoy the Solar Eclipse but remember.......

The only time you can look at the sun with your naked eye is A) if you're in the path of totality, where the sun will be completely covered by the moon, and B) during those two minutes or less when the sun is completely covered. You can definitely damage your eyes without the proper glasses. We all want to look up and watch, seriously don't.

Enjoy the eclipse and it's not going to be the END OF THE ?

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Hurray! I was able to snag one of the last pair of the glasses today. The display literally had 4 or 5 sets left and the store didn't expect to get in any more.

Thanks for the hot tip AJ! Now all I have to do is hope it won't be overcast on the day.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":e40nkxuu said:
Thanks for the hot tip AJ! Now all I have to do is hope it won't be overcast on the day.

Cheers,

RR

You're very welcome Rande.
Always happy to give a helping hand to a friend. :cheers:

AJ

Things have been heating up here in the Pac NW for the Totality event.

Saw on the news yesterday that Bend, OR (which is expected to be in 100% totality) had a 15 mile backup getting into town! Similar reports of other areas.

And the roads around the Emerald city have been flooded with cars, campers, RV's and the like for those getting outta Dodge early. It's a Fustercluck right now!

Today I read that one fleapit motel in Casper, WY was charging over $1100 for a room on the day. Nice work, if you can get it I suppose!

:x

Cheers,

RR

Talked to my mom last night. It took her an hour to get across Prineville, OR on her way home from work last night. Now that she's back on the mountain she isn't leaving again until Tuesday morning.

Well, here I am, just outside KC MO. Chillin with my homies, sippin and puffin, full of food I didn't have to cook.

Feeling myself. What a great day. Perhaps after the "end of the world(again)" I'll go through Washington MO and pick up some cob pipes.... It is kind of on the way home, and they make great bombing fodder....

Happy Eclipse Eve!

...nearly zero hour. Good luck everyone. Hopefully this won't herald the end of the world. :suspect:

I've scoped out my spot on the roof. It's so bright out there now it hurts my eyes with sunglasses on (white rubber roof). Headed back up there after lunch with my handy dandy eclipse shades- I got the front row seat to the tallest spot in town (about 10 stories) right in the middle of the path of totality. 8)

Then the mass exodus begins. I think I might stick around and catch a couple of hours of overtime, give the traffic a little time to clear up.

Come and gone now. Our area got 93% totality, and during the main phase the sunlight on the ground was dimmed but not like twilight. Watched it come and go through the special glasses. Also saw coverage on the TV where it was 100%. Pretty kewl, but not mind blowing where I am.

Over the weekend the freeways were jammed with campers, RV's and the like all headed to OR for the 100% event. That was nuts!

Cheers,

RR

We had about a minute and a half of totality, visible through the clouds. Sadly, I was unable to smoke a pipe on the roof of the hospital :/
It was definitely a good show. Too cloudy for shadowbands and the crescent shadows but still pretty special.

About 95% here, like v early twilight despite just the tiny sliver of sun visible. Interesting but not mind blowing.

94% was great, my wife and I passed out our extra pairs of glasses at the pool.

Some add-on's to my prior post-

Came and went mid-morning. Our area got 93% totality, and during the main phase the sunlight on the ground was dimmed but not like twilight. Guess I expected it to be darker on the ground. Watched it come and go through the special glasses. Pretty kewl, but not mind blowing where I am.

Also saw coverage on the TV in our brewery Tap Room where it was 100% somewhere in OR and a little later Carbondale, Illinois. The news camera was somewhere in a big field with hundreds of campers and it did get almost as dark as late twilight, but then like 2 minutes later was bright again. And the TV showed the full meal deal with the moon showing the sun's corona and then the "diamond" as it started to peek out again. Guess I'll watch the coverage over on the evening news in a little while.

Over the weekend the freeways here were jammed with campers, RV's and the like all headed south to OR for the 100% event. That was nuts, and a total fustercluck to anyone who had to go about their normal business!

All in all, I would rate it 5 on a 1-10 scale. Perhaps not worth all they hype, but then again I wasn't in the areas for the 100% event.

Cheers,

RR

Well, here in Knightdale NC...still going to be here for 2 to 3 more days, it did get a tad darker and then extremely bright. Was able to take a picture too share. A little disappointed due to some cloud coverage and lack of totality view.
Take a close look at the picture, to the lower right, with a magnifying glass if you have one handy.

6bVVBII.jpg" style="width: 500px;height: 500px

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

100% totality was pretty cool, even through the clouds. You could even see some of the topology of the moon as the sun shone around it. I was surprised that the corona was as visible as it was through the clouds. The temperature dropped a few degrees and the wind picked up. It was kind of amazing to see the difference in illumination from totality to the barest sliver of sun... I'm looking forward to the next one, 7 years from now.

Cheers!

OW

Great view you had, that's more like what I expected too see.
Also, my picture was taken with my iPad.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

My wife and I drove from NC to Saint Matthews SC to view it. About 4 hours of driving on the way down and 5 five coming back due to the traffic. Well worth the time and effort. It was a last minute decision to make the trip and I'm glad we went, since I'm not sure when we'll ever have to opportunity to see one again.

Here is my best picture of it. I don't have to proper gear for taking pictures like this so I'm pretty happy with how it looks. My main goal wasn't to take pictures anyway. I just wanted to experience that moment when it gets really dark.

swhipple

Wow, excellent picture. Thanks for sharing...it's a keeper!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!