Travel Suggestions ?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anasazi6

Reaction score
How about starting a new section for travel (local, national, international, where I've been, where I would like to go someday, etc.). I'm sure there are some out of the way places we would all like to hear about.

DC in Texas

It's not really out of the way, but I love traveling to Amsterdam, and not for "those" reasons. It's just a beautiful place with great people, and also very smoker friendly. I met a girl over there the last time I went, and I was so tempted to stay... :heart:
Closer to home, San Francisco is always a favorite destination. Wish I was having some braised string beans from Nanking Kitchen in Chinatown right now!
Unfortunately, not so smoker friendly though...

All I've traveled for pleasure is Most of the major Caribbea Islands, Central America (minus El Salvador.. don't know why, just never made it there) and Mexico. I've been to several other nations and every state but Hawaii for work but never considered that as "Travel" ..

Sitting on a small rocky island miles off shore in the southern Sea of Cortez, waiting for a storm to blow over. There was a little shrine built into the rocks with a few old burnt out candles and a weathered painting of the virgin Mary in there, just deep enough to be sheltered from the elements. Some of the old Mexican fishermen would go there from time to time, but it was barely ever set foot on according to our old panga captain. We pulled into a tiny sandy cove on that island for shelter and to get out of the roaring sea, sat there for a good while waiting for the wind to die down. I was smoking a little cigar, sipping warm Pacifico, taking in the solitude and the Hope of Man that the little shrine represented. I don't think there's a finer place on earth, though certainly there are thousand just like it. Remote, silent but for the sea and the birds. All of your focus is your senses of smell (strong briney sea on warm wet wind, and strong tobacco), the sight of the sighing sea, and the thoughts of the remoteness and the generations of simple souls who sat in that very spot before you.

I've been deep into the rockies on horseback to bowhunt elk, up into Alaska, down into remote Mexico. I've also done some regular old touristy stuff, seeing the cities and the museums and the frenetic clattering about of people. That's interesting enough, but nothing beats the remote, isolated, grand places that make you feel so alone and insignificant that you are forced to face your true disposition on this planet.

Or you could come home wearing some mouse ears sewn to a little hat.

Places I'd like to visit.

Scotland, Ireland, England, to explore the old ruins of castles and to walk some of those vast hilly areas like Greyson posts in his photo excursions.

I'd like to go to France and Italy to explore like the college kids did back in the 70's, with a backpack and a map and not much else. No touristy hotels or tour buses.

Greece. I'd love to go spend a few months living like a local.

County Antrim for a few months. Just walking around, interacting with the folks there, resonating with the ancestral character in its home setting. THAT would be neat.

But, ala$ ! :evil:

:face:

Puff Daddy":b0bwcjs7 said:
Sitting on a small rocky island miles off shore in the southern Sea of Cortez, waiting for a storm to blow over. There was a little shrine built into the rocks with a few old burnt out candles and a weathered painting of the virgin Mary in there, just deep enough to be sheltered from the elements. Some of the old Mexican fishermen would go there from time to time, but it was barely ever set foot on according to our old panga captain. We pulled into a tiny sandy cove on that island for shelter and to get out of the roaring sea, sat there for a good while waiting for the wind to die down. I was smoking a little cigar, sipping warm Pacifico, taking in the solitude and the Hope of Man that the little shrine represented. I don't think there's a finer place on earth, though certainly there are thousand just like it. Remote, silent but for the sea and the birds. All of your focus is your senses of smell (strong briney sea on warm wet wind, and strong tobacco), the sight of the sighing sea, and the thoughts of the remoteness and the generations of simple souls who sat in that very spot before you.

I've been deep into the rockies on horseback to bowhunt elk, up into Alaska, down into remote Mexico. I've also done some regular old touristy stuff, seeing the cities and the museums and the frenetic clattering about of people. That's interesting enough, but nothing beats the remote, isolated, grand places that make you feel so alone and insignificant that you are forced to face your true disposition on this planet.

Or you could come home wearing some mouse ears sewn to a little hat.

Fancy talk for he got caught in the rain on a fishing trip and he went hunting.. Californians :roll:

Puff Daddy":3iht9jmh said:
Sitting on a small rocky island miles off shore in the southern Sea of Cortez, waiting for a storm to blow over.
Good stuff!
At first, I thought I was reading some Hemingway... :study:
Makes me want to read more!

puros_bran":vmaiu80w said:
Fancy talk for he got caught in the rain on a fishing trip and he went hunting.. Californians :roll:
The Kentucky version of a prosaic hunting story:

Hold my beer Jethro, I'm gonna chuck a rock at that possum.

Nice shot Cooter. He shore looks purty layin dead there up'n against that whisky still. Hardly got no blood on im a'tall.

What'n hell Jethro? You gettin all fancy boy like? I knew lettin you finish third grade was a mistake. Now shudup n hand me that skinnin knife.

:tongue:

Harlock999":iimlhq57 said:
Puff Daddy":iimlhq57 said:
Sitting on a small rocky island miles off shore in the southern Sea of Cortez, waiting for a storm to blow over.
Good stuff!
At first, I thought I was reading some Hemingway... :study:
Makes me want to read more!
Heh, I thought the same thing.

When PeeDee's someplace, he's there. In several dimensions. Not just one.

That's neat !

:face:

Yak":le6trls2 said:
When PeeDee's someplace, he's there. In several dimensions. Not just one.
Yeah, if I had stumbled upon this scene, I'm pretty sure I would have broken his revery
by asking if he knew a good place to get some tacos...

I know where to get good tacos in every state or province from Skagway to Cabo San Lucas ;)

Puff Daddy":rgx5457j said:
I know where to get good tacos in every state or province from Skagway to Cabo San Lucas ;)
One more reason to hang with you! :cheers:

You would've started another like:

"José's tacos are delicious but will treat you like the running of the bulls in Pamplona. Ah Pamplona, the smell of sweat, booze, and desperation. And running. Those smells and running.... running from Mrs. Frontbottom! Last night was a mistake!" (Curls into a fetal position).

For years Vienna has been at the top of my to-travel list. Coffee, cake, music, and paintings. Absolutely have to get there!

Of course St. Peterburg as well (for music, art and of course the Raskolnikov-house); and should visit a friend in Stavanger for her company and the beautiful sceneries (and Kaizers Orchestra throws gigs regularly in that area); and I'd wish to have a chance to visit Japan, preferably for a bit longer period to get a better hold of the language (Kyoto perhaps - haven't quite decided yet).

Several places in Finnish lapland, of course. But those will require a bit better physical shape as well. :lol:

gravel":yv5ckj6v said:
You would've started another like:

"José's tacos are delicious but will treat you like the running of the bulls in Pamplona. Ah Pamplona, the smell of sweat, booze, and desperation. And running. Those smells and running.... running from Mrs. Frontbottom! Last night was a mistake!" (Curls into a fetal position).
I like it!
And I'm liking this thread!

Puff Daddy":ql09c7w0 said:
Hold my beer Jethro, I'm gonna chuck a rock at that possum.

Nice shot Cooter. He shore looks purty layin dead there up'n against that whisky still. Hardly got no blood on im a'tall.

What'n hell Jethro? You gettin all fancy boy like? I knew lettin you finish third grade was a mistake. Now shudup n hand me that skinnin knife.
peedee would have told it as such..

On a recent expedition in the County Meade, a short distance from the majestic Ohio river, I found myself in position to partake in the hunt. Knowing my prey I wisely surrendered my spirits to my loyal guide whom I call Mr J. I had cornered the elusive North American Marsupial close to Mr J's ancient family distillery. The Marsupial flushed on me in a viscious charge. Having no chance to shoulder my weapon I deftly hurled a stone at the fowl beast. It appeared a perfect shot, he fell in his tracks. Upon inspection Mr J commented that there was little blood. Knowing the Marsupial's penchant for pretending to be wounded fatally only to spring upon the unsuspecting hunter I warned him off until he could at least arm himself with a knife. Mr J was so impressed with my knowledge that he commented that I was perhaps more knowledgeable than he and he regretted it as I would begin to doubt needing him on my expiditions. I assured the old chap that I would always keep him in employ........