Trial by fire magazine book?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel7734

Reaction score
Back when I was really into pipes before my long break pipes and tobacco magazine released a book called Trial by Fire. It had all the reviews together. I guess they stopped producing it each year or even altogether. When was the last one and how was one obtain a copy?

The Trial by Fire book was a one shot deal that I think was at the or near the end of Bill Serads stint as P&T's tobacco reviewer. I checked Ben Rapaports fall book catalog but I didn't see it listed. I'd send Chuck Stanion at P&T to see if he has a copy. I see them on tables at shows so they are out there. I have mine that he signed with a gold marker on the cover. :shock:

That brings me back to the days when I first started smoking a pipe. It coincided, more or less, with the advent of Pipes & Tobacco magazine. Once Serad took over the reviews he was my guiding light. His word was gospel. I loved his writing style, and damned if he didn't nail the nature of the tobacco he reviewed perfectly, at least to me. I've got all the old magazines still, and in my hiatus from the weed tried to sell them for next to nothing. You wouldn't believe the chiselers who would respond. I mean, every issue (except the first) up until Spring of 2008 (since I subscribed, they kept coming a couple years after I stopped smoking), all in excellent condition. The last 2 years were still in their mailing bags! "Uh, would you take $50?" Preposterous! People. What a race. Glad I've still got them, now that I've returned.