Triple Play

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnrust

Reaction score
Well it's been out a little while. Have any of you guys smoked it? What do you think? I cracked a tin last week, slowly working my way thru it. Breaking in a new pipe with it, only on my 4th half bowl. I did smoked a few full bowl in my other VA'per pipe, but I feel they were haunted by VA'per past. I need to finish atleast one tin before I decide if it's a keeper. OK, OK, it's a keeper, but I still need more time with it. :cheers:

Personally, I think it's a brilliant blend. One of my current favorites. It has a smidgen of perique character to make it a little more interesting and complex than jkp.

Instead of the sort of sweeter and brighter personality I sense from most vapers I have tried, it has much darker and earthier profile. I gave it it's own pipe rather than smoke it in other vaper pipes or kentucky pipes. This helps prevent the sweetness or a heavy perique ghost from other vapers from interfering with the triple play. I also don't want too much of a Kentucky ghost since the presence of it in triple play can be almost subtle sometimes, and I like it that way.

Frost":gosdfawv said:
Personally, I think it's a brilliant blend. One of my current favorites. It has a smidgen of perique character to make it a little more interesting and complex than jkp.

Instead of the sort of sweeter and brighter personality I sense from most vapers I have tried, it has much darker and earthier profile. I gave it it's own pipe rather than smoke it in other vaper pipes or kentucky pipes. This helps prevent the sweetness or a heavy perique ghost from other vapers from interfering with the triple play. I also don't want too much of a Kentucky ghost since the presence of it in triple play can be almost subtle sometimes, and I like it that way.
I got that rich earthy note too. I was originally holding off to let it age a little but my curiosity got the better of me. I've dedicated a pipe to it so that I can work through several bowls uninterrupted by another blend. I was very pleased. Understand, my palate isn't as well educated as others as I'm still a bit of a newbie. I can't pick out specific flavors or notes just yet but there was defiantly a nicotine punch.

I broke open the tin and the depth of the tin note was fantastic. Looked like a big sweet brownie. It reminded me of that same sensation of opening a bag of rich, earthy, moist planting soil I use for my tomatoes. I let it sit for a while and cut it into small chunks. Probably should let it dry out for a while right out of the tin as it is very moist. Stuffed it into my new Rattrays (not sure if you call this a volcano or a squat tomato) and spent a good portion of tonight on the back porch with a three finger pour of Patron Cafe liquor. A great combo. Some time in the mason jar should only serve to improve it. I did notice that about halfway through the bowl, things got even more rich and mellow.

Ratray2.jpg

I'd call that pipe shape a "brandy" but don't go pouring your Patron Cafe liquor into it on my account. :)

Still getting to the point of being able to prep the TP plug properly. Last couple adventures were acceptable, so gonna try again tonight.

Sliced up some of the plug on the grain, rubbed it out, and now left to dry for a couple hrs. This has given me the best results so far.

So far I'm enjoying the flavors. Just need to get to the point of prep and packing mastery.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":s6516onj said:
Still getting to the point of being able to prep the TP plug properly. Last couple adventures were acceptable, so gonna try again tonight.

Sliced up some of the plug on the grain, rubbed it out, and now left to dry for a couple hrs. This has given me the best results so far.

So far I'm enjoying the flavors. Just need to get to the point of prep and packing mastery.

Cheers,

RR
Brew -

TP is very moist out of the tin and about 2 hrs seems to be about right. Takes a little fore thought unlike some other tins. I shave it off the corners and rub it out. Very different personality from my initial sample of small cubes cut and dried for about an hour. Got the gurgles the first time. :cry:
Also got in some JKP and will do the same prep.

I slice it real thin, almost shave it, with a bread knife. Then let it dry for 30-45 min, and it's GTG. The pipe I'm breaking in w/it is coming around nicely. As a matter of fact, I'm enjoying a bowl now. :D

Fun to read some of the comments, here. Triple Play is certainly getting some attention, and I couldn't be happier. Some might find the article I wrote in the Chronicles about prepping JackKnife useful. Whereas with JKP, I really like it prepped as a shag, TP seems happier for me in a slightly thicker flake, though I do still rub it out completely. Personally, I actually like it a little on the moist side, as I do most virginias. Too dry, it will lose some of the more subtle sweet, fruity notes. But, the real fun of plugs like this is that everyone can find the best preparation to suit their own tastes.

I think I'll have a bowl myself. Might be nice to take my mind off this miserable heat...

glpease":3qauvu4y said:
Fun to read some of the comments, here. Triple Play is certainly getting some attention, and I couldn't be happier. Some might find the article I wrote in the Chronicles about prepping JackKnife useful. Whereas with JKP, I really like it prepped as a shag, TP seems happier for me in a slightly thicker flake, though I do still rub it out completely. Personally, I actually like it a little on the moist side, as I do most virginias. Too dry, it will lose some of the more subtle sweet, fruity notes. But, the real fun of plugs like this is that everyone can find the best preparation to suit their own tastes.

I think I'll have a bowl myself. Might be nice to take my mind off this miserable heat...
I for one, am very grateful for your insights and participation here Mr. Pease. It's appreciated and you always come across like "one of the guys" rather than some arrogant types I've witnessed on other boards. Very refreshing to see a down to earth guy like you share your information so freely. Thank you.

Cheers,

RR

:alien:

<and no this is not any kind of mooch attempt. lol>

Brewdude":uwufgk0u said:
glpease":uwufgk0u said:

I for one, am very grateful for your insights and participation here Mr. Pease. It's appreciated and you always come across like "one of the guys" rather than some arrogant types I've witnessed on other boards. Very refreshing to see a down to earth guy like you share your information so freely. Thank you.

<and no this is not any kind of mooch attempt. lol>
Thanks for that! I'm often concerned that my enthusiasm can be taken the wrong way sometimes. Glad to know its received in the manner intended!

Man, I love this stuff....seems to be not so many comments on here. Am I alone in my liking?

Deep, dank, pungent...yummy.

deepbass9":f6iiru75 said:
Man, I love this stuff....seems to be not so many comments on here. Am I alone in my liking?

I bought a tin but never opened it. I have since decided to save it until baseball season kicks off. Cheesy, I know. :p

Dave_In_Philly":wlu6ijtr said:
deepbass9":wlu6ijtr said:

I bought a tin but never opened it. I have since decided to save it until baseball season kicks off. Cheesy, I know. :p
I was thinking the same thing :)

As the OP, I can say that I finished the tin and did like it! I can only believe that is will greatly improve with age, so I packed the 11 remaining tins into the far reached of the cellar and will not touch them until they celebrate their 2nd B-day. Damn, I still have 16mo to wait.

I lit up some TP from an old tin that I hadn't touched in several months. I was actually rather surprised at how much I enjoyed it this time around, much more so than when I first cracked it open. I don't know if it was a little bit of age, or that unlike my typical stuff method I took the time to rub it out this time around, but I genuinely enjoyed it...well actually I enjoyed it a bit too much and stopped enjoying it halfway through the 2nd bowl at which point I developed the spins and turned green. Damn I am a baccy lightweight! Fairly strong stuff.

Haha listen man....imo its better to be a lightweight than a grizzled tobacco addict pickled in nicotine. I smoked cigarettes starting at 14, quit when I was 28 and took up cigars, and now at 36 have taken up smoking pipes. I have to smoke some kind of rope or 1792 to get a nicotine buzz...kindof sucks actually. It would be really nice to get a little buzz off some of my favorite blends, but unfortunately, unless I quit smoking altogether for awhile, thats probably not going to happen.

Lol the same thing applies to booze....wouldn't it be nice to go to a bar and get a nice little buzz off 4 beers intead of 10 or 11? It'll save you alot of dough and trips to the bathroom lol.

Cool...glad to see others enjoying it as much as I am.

Let's see...Filmore (I'm kinda so-so on this blend..wish I dug it as much as others seem to), AM Bayou flake (kinda like the Filmore), Escudo (ehm...yum!), Irish Oak (kinda it's own thing, no?), and Beacon Extra...thems my other Peri blends to date.

The TP and Beacon Extra seem to be higher in Peri than others, yes? I know BE is, for sure, but what about TP? Escudo is like a great harmony and subtle, but these two seem like they scream figgy, plummy, soury-sweetness.

So, what makes me dig the latter two blends better, I wonder? Is TP up there in the Peri content like BE, or is it just the backbone that the KY gives to the blend that grabs me? More precisely, what is it in Filmore and AM Bayou that seems lacking compared to TP & BE?

Guess more tastings are in order :cheers: