Truly a miss on my part..

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_68

Reaction score
Call it the fickle finger of fate or just my own inability to focus(more than likely) but I had yet to try a Pease blend until my lovely wife gifted me some Key Largo for Xmas.

So, as my Habana Daydream has all but run out I decided to crack the tin of KL and am enjoying my first bowl of it and GLP and all I can do is wonder..why don't I own every blend this guy makes?!? If this is any indication I can't wait for MOAR!!

This stuff is creamy and complex, bold and sweet yet VERY approachable. And the smoke? Copious quantities of luxuriant smoke..

Can't wait to try my next GLP...question is, which one?

Thoughts from my brothers???

Geez, man, you have the Pease world at your feet, it's just a matter of choosing. :lol:

I know we have similar taste to a degree, if you want an arse-kicker, Jack Knife Plug (regular or ready-rubbed) is awesome, and Union Square is awesome for a lighter, brighter VA. I'll let some other brothers chime in, as these are the only two I have tried that I feel I know the best.

Barbary Coast. MmmmmMmmmmm! I also highly recommend Chelsea Morning. Both are transcendent smokes.

Some wonderful English/Balkans from GLP include Abingdon, Westminster, Blackpoint, Robusto, and Charing Cross. In the realm of Va's, all I have had in the way of straight Va's from GLP is Union Square and as I am in the middle of my first tin right now, I can honestly say it is a mild disappointment. A little too mild and not enough fullness that I was expecting to get out of it. I suppose this is what happens after one spends a year smoking Dark Bird's eye, Dark Flake Unscented, Bracken Flake, and Full Va Flake. Anyhow, I can say however that in the way of Va/per blends, Stratford is one of the better ones I have had. Overall, I can tell you that no matter what style of tobacco blend you enjoy and no matter what strength you enjoy from a smoke, GLP has a little something for everyone and it is all quality stuff blended to perfection.

-Scott

Although I would also describe Union Square as being relatively mild, I really enjoy this one in the morning. It's sweet honey and alfalfa notes are a great way to start the day. :)

Now I've read a lot about Jack Knife so that one is almost a given..Union Square sounds good!

Charring Cross...now THERE is one that I hadn't really researched much...hhmm...

Okay - I'll wait a bit for.any others...I'm going after some Storm Front this week so I plan to add a few GLP's to the order- you know, for balast! :joker:

Triple Play's been tickling my fancy of late. Dark and full and savory and sourish...yum.

I've got Odyssey, Chelsea AM, JKP, Maltese Falcon, Union Square and Filmore that I've tried. A tin of Meridian and Lagonda await sampling.

Of all of these, all of which I rate 3 of 4's at least, the Triple Play, JKP (when the mood is right) and Union Sq. are 4 of 4's. One of these three would be my recommendation.

I'm a "tobak for the mood" kinda guy, so I've liked pretty much everything I've tried (all selective choices), except for some aro's. I find a place for each flavor, though some more often than others.

If you like Key Largo, Robusto is in the same family. Enjoy!

UberHuberMan":2rik7w8p said:
Although I would also describe Union Square as being relatively mild, I really enjoy this one in the morning. It's sweet honey and alfalfa notes are a great way to start the day. :)
Indeed. I do notice a similarity between GLP Union Square and a 13 year old jar of Old Gowrie I am smoking. The only difference being that IMO Rattray gets better Va's than Cornell&Diehl, so if Greg was able to get better quality Va leaf, the resemblance between the two would probably be uncanny.

-Scott

Oh yeah! Deepbass reminded me -Maltese Falcon was one I'd read about that sounded good!

Thanks for all the suggestions - I plan to get to as many as I can in the coming months..

I'm thinking Jack Knife Plug, Union Square and Maltese Falcon for this weeks order. Cool!

...well, Greg in another thread did mention "Meridian," his balanced Latakia blend, too... you know, if you're a fan of such things... it just moved up on my "Pease list" after that conversation... :p

Union Square, Fillmore, Lagonda, Meridian, Abingdon, Cairo, Westminster, Chelsea Morning, Quiet Nights, Charing Cross, Caravan...

I really don't think you can go wrong with any of Greg's tobaccos. As far as I'm concerned he's in a world of his own.