Trying out some 15 year old Pease Caravan

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it is pretty crunchy. I loaded the pipe and blew into the bowl until I got it to spring back when I pressed on it. Lit right up. I will have to retract my voiced impressions of Greg's stuff. Everything I had tried previously was pretty fresh, and not to my tastes. (Other than some 5 year old Montgomery, I think I got from Old Nate, that was pretty impressive too) This stuff is still pretty Lat forward, but has a touch of red wine and cinnamon. Sweet and smoky. Also, I got a pretty good buzz from it. Quite surprised and delighted. The idea of buying a blend and sitting on it for over a decade never crossed my mind, at least not on purpose. Definitely an exercise in patience, but well worth the wait!

Thanks again for opening my horizons BD!

Ozark Wizard":7bmucu2n said:
Well, it is pretty crunchy. I loaded the pipe and blew into the bowl until I got it to spring back when I pressed on it. Lit right up. I will have to retract my voiced impressions of Greg's stuff. Everything I had tried previously was pretty fresh, and not to my tastes. (Other than some 5 year old Montgomery, I think I got from Old Nate, that was pretty impressive too) This stuff is still pretty Lat forward, but has a touch of red wine and cinnamon. Sweet and smoky. Also, I got a pretty good buzz from it. Quite surprised and delighted. The idea of buying a blend and sitting on it for over a decade never crossed my mind, at least not on purpose. Definitely an exercise in patience, but well worth the wait!

Pleased you could get it to work for you despite the less than favourable condition. I've had a few older GLP tall/skinny tins from that era displaying the same characteristics, yet hoped this one would be in better shape.

And like you, I also employed the retro-breathing through the bowl (or whatever it's generally accepted to be termed) with much success. And again, depending on the age and condition, which is paramount. Luck of the draw.

Frankly I've had some revelations in the GLP direction. And all of which were well aged. Perhaps we're onto something here?

:afro:

Cheers,

RR

As the tin was stuffed to the top, I'm guessing that it was originally pretty dry, and that's fine by me. Better that than moldy, for sure!

And now the issue of finding nicely aged GLP stuff, or at least tinned prior to the 'New Formula', OR when purchasing new to open the containers and after examination, jar them up and play the waiting game! :p

OW
Glad you enjoyed your well aged GLP. That's not one of those " GOOPY " blends and it does hold up well with age. You can always use a piece of ( soaked in distilled water ) natural terracotta stone if your tobacco needs a bit of hydration. Now just store the remaining tobacco in a jar for future enjoyment. I recently opened a GLP Cumberland dated 2006, this blend to was far superior with age. Just like GLP Telegraph Hill which is a Va/Per with no toppings, just its own natural flavor.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I recently cracked open a 4 year old tin of Caravan and it was sublime.

Recently visited a brick & mortar that had a nice selection of C&D, GLPease and McClellan tins... picked up a tin of Cairo from 2010, a tin of Ashbury from 2011, and two tins of McClelland Samovar from 2012. There's a few other tins on their shelves with 5-7 years of age on them.... Odyssey, Pebblecut, etc, etc but those will have to wait for another day. I happily rotated and faced their stock.... making sure the aged tins were as far back as I could get them! When "another day" comes, I'm hoping those tins will still be there.

AdamCordray":o226altv said:
Recently visited a brick & mortar that had a nice selection of C&D, GLPease and McClellan tins... picked up a tin of Cairo from 2010, a tin of Ashbury from 2011, and two tins of McClelland Samovar from 2012.  There's a few other tins on their shelves with 5-7 years of age on them.... Odyssey, Pebblecut, etc, etc but those will have to wait for another day.  I happily rotated and faced their stock.... making sure the aged tins were as far back as I could get them!  When "another day" comes, I'm hoping those tins will still be there.
Insidious....

Ozark Wizard":tbpi4st1 said:
Insidious....
...I haven't taken French since high school, but I would recognize the Francophone synonym for pulchritudinous any day of the week... Merci beaucoup monsieur.

Really and truly insidious would have been stuffing the coveted tins behind the stacks of C&D Sangria in the old blue and white labeled tins.  That stuff probably hasn't moved in decades.  They still have a flat-pack tin of Red Stag that looked like it had plume developing on the outside of the tin...  or maybe it was dust.

Ozark Wizard":falklg7e said:

Wiz, just had a bowl of that 5 year old Montgomery last night. It was excellent! I've been smoking through a few other tins that I've opened and putting the GLP on hold, but I finally got back around to it... it is FAR better with the 5 years than fresh! I'm glad you got to try the aged Caravan. At one time I thought anything and everything in the GLP universe just wasn't my cup of tea, but with time and patience, I think they are some of the most rewarding tobaccos available today.

Gus":ly9e73y9 said:
Great tobacco, enjoy it
Gus, I really am enjoying it. Reminds me of camping with my grandfather, those late nights of a confection called 'S'Mores'( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%27more ) , his pipe burning, and the campfire. It was an inspiration to me. However, I am pretty certain that my grandfather was not smoking any blends from Pease at the time.

Regardless, good stuff. Sometimes I put a piece of dark chocolate in my mouth and then smoke Caravan. Sends me back to a simpler time...............

Caravan is not one that I've tried -- I'll keep an eye out for this one in stores, or maybe just pick up a tin next time I order some things. Would be interesting to see how the aged and fresh compare side by side.

Confession time!!! First, I'm truly glad to hear all these comments on how well older GLP blends smoke. Like de Oz Wizard, I never thought I would have 'baccy 10 or more years old!! How some ever, I do...And lots of it!! The GLP's in particular, because (here comes the confession!!), I've never popped a tin of The Dark Lord's makings!! Nope, never had any!! I have such a collection of bulks/jars that my tin "poppings" are few and far between!! I'm 70+, better get to it, huh??!! :cheers: FTRPLT

ftrplt":wh4khcll said:
Confession time!!! First, I'm truly glad to hear all these comments on how well older GLP blends smoke. Like de Oz Wizard, I never thought I would have 'baccy 10 or more years old!! How some ever, I do...And lots of it!! The GLP's in particular, because (here comes the confession!!), I've never popped a tin of The Dark Lord's makings!! Nope, never had any!! I have such a collection of bulks/jars that my tin "poppings" are few and far between!! I'm 70+, better get to it, huh??!! :cheers: FTRPLT
Well, don't hold me to this, but you might be pleasantly surprised!

Ozark Wizard":440tc1z5 said:
ftrplt":440tc1z5 said:
Well, don't hold me to this, but you might be pleasantly surprised!
Aye. The key for me anyway is to have GLP well aged.

Cheers,

RR