Tsubota Or Corona Old Boy Pipe Lighter?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Mouse

Reaction score
The lazy in me thought it to be easier just to make a new thread comparing the two rather than doing any research.

For those who have experience with one or the other, or both please help me make my choice. I've heard the Tsubota holds up better in the wind than the Old Boy but it seems that would be its only advantage. I'm in the market for something other than my Zippo and matches (Zippo works fine and matches are matches, they get job done I just want something new to try).

Both are crafted in Japan, both claim to use the highest quality components, both have the same styling and design principals and both are in the same price range, so what are some pros and cons of each?

Don't know about the Tsubota but I spent bundles trying different lighters ,,,more than 3 times what an Old Boy would have cost me
and in the end I wound up with the Old Boy.,,, and a pile of crappy lighters which I left on the bar of various pubs and taverns giving someone a thrill thinking they found something shiny and valuable. Zippo outside, Old Boy everywhere else.

Old Boy Pros.
It lights every time,,,every time,,,year after year,,,,
Service center lifetime Warranty work for $8

Cons.

Old Boys are the tried and true lighters of many pipe smokers including myself. If for some reason they quit working, you can send them to the service center in NC along with an $8 money order and get it back in a few weeks. I've read on the board about wind problems, but I've never had any except in the plains states where 20 to 40 mph winds are common. Cupping a lighter or matches in the hands seems to be a lost art.

Jim...my ha'pence

My personal preference is an Original model Old Boy Lighter. I love having all those adjustments. :shock:

They just don't make 'em like this anymore. :mrgreen:

torch11.jpg

OMG! They've turned into Abbott and Costello!

On a seperate note: I caved and got a Pearl 'Eddie' lighter. It's easily the best engineered lighter I've ever had. It lights not only in a slight breeze, but in a moderate breeze as well. I've heard there's no Corona Old Boy (COB) in the world that will do this. I filled it two weeks ago and it's still lighting well. Every aspect of its operation is solid and positive, esp. the sparking wheel, which as has been stated is deeply grooved for a positive grab. The flint, however, gave up the ghost after just three days. Must have had a super short one in there as nothing could be retreived from the flint tube. Not a problem though, as I popped a Zippo flint in there and it works just fine (uplike with a COB). I have to say, even though a somewhat picky buyer, my expectations for this lighter have been surpassed.

A very delighted (no pun intended) discovery is that a nice black leather 'pouch' that came with one of my old Xikar lighters fits the Pearl perfectly. So now I keep it in the pouch (which is open-top) until needed. This will likely go a long way to keeping this expensive addition to my stock of 'toys' in pristine condition.