Tsuge pipes anyone?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEH35094

Reaction score
Does any one have info on tsuge pipes?higher end vs theyre lower end pipes?

been curious about this brand as well - thanks for bringing it up, DEH.

anybody?

thx!
doody

I have this Tsuge Super Smooth Tomato I bought 2 months ago.

It cost $50. It is very small. All I can say so far is that it smokes “decent”. I'm hoping it will improve with more break-in time & finding its soul-mate tobacco.

It is a joy to hold! I like holding it more than smoking it, and that's a shame because I bought it to SMOKE!

It came with a stinger which I removed right away. Being a such a small pipe though, you almost need the stinger because when you get down to the bottom of the bowl its very easy to suck red hot tobacco bits into your mouth. Particularly when you are trying to develop a cake at the heel early on in the break-in process. This should be less of a problem once a good cake is formed.

As for high-end Tsuges', I couldn't tell you and probably never will be able to. They are expensive! Honestly, I would not bother trying to compare a low end anything to a high end item of the same brand. Even though I have no experience w/ the high end, I am 99.99% sure it's a TOTALLY different animal, making comparison a pointless exercise.

Edit: In nabbed this pic off the net. My grain is more plentyful and more contrasty :geek:

I guess my original question is therefore TOTALLY pointless. Was wondering would a lower end Tsuge was anything like a lower end Winslow which are great pipes and very well made, as well as his higher end ones

TheSmokeamater":cj11dkbi said:
I have this Tsuge Super Smooth Tomato I bought 2 months ago.

It cost $50. It is very small. All I can say so far is that it smokes “decent”. I'm hoping it will improve with more break-in time & finding its soul-mate tobacco.

It is a joy to hold! I like holding it more than smoking it, and that's a shame because I bought it to SMOKE!
I would have bought that pipe on looks alone for $50. That's my kind of shape. I don't have any tomato shapes...yet. There's a 1/8th bent Nording tomato at my Tinder Box I've eyed for months now, but it's $200... :| I'll probably decide to buy it, walk in, and it'll be gone.

DEH35094":9ogvnpgf said:
I guess my original question is therefore TOTALLY pointless. Was wondering would a lower end Tsuge was anything like a lower end Winslow which are great pipes and very well made, as well as his higher end ones
I extend a most sincere apology sir. I didn’t mean to come off like a douche bag, which I now recognize I most certainly did.

I DID say…., “I am 99.99% sure it's a TOTALLY different animal,….” (one pipe to another) and NOT that your whole question was totally pointless. But I will not dwell on that. What I said was insensitive in any event.

A few weeks ago another member disparaged both an opinion I expressed AND the grammar I used to express it. It ruined my whole day and kinda hurt. I don’t wish the same on you.

Regards, Rich

Rich, you weren't being a douche. 8) The OP obviously had some very specific answers in mind to a somewhat non-specific question...which are now starting to surface. :|

DEH35094":29pix6bt said:
Your ORIGINAL question was NOT what you asked in your reply to Rich's reply. He related his "experience" with one level of the firms pipe you originally asked about, then in your response asked how this firms pipes compared to another firms. He gave you a straight ahead, honest answer to your ORIGINAL question.

I have a Tsuge Flat Bent squashed tomato. I purchased it for the small bowl, to use as a flake pipe. It is very smooth and comfortable in the hand. The walls and base of the bowl are quite thick (about 1/2") so it is cool in the hand when smoking (I cradle a pipe, rather than clenching. I also pulled the stinger, as I don't care for them. It has developed a good cake, and is a very good smoker.

No need to apologize Rich,I believe I might have been somewhat equivocal as far as my question went.I guess I will have to give in to PAD and buy one.Don

Most Tsuges I've seen tend to be on the smallish side, both on the low, and the high end scale.
I had a pipe from the Triangle line (since discontinued, I believe) and it was a pretty decent, lower price pipe. Nicely drilled, no fills, but not many thrills either. Just a good smoking tool.

I have an Tsuge E-Star billiard ,its rusticated unfinnished briar. It smokes great and is coloring nicely, one of my favorite pipes.

DEH35094":0lzwyk73 said:
No need to apologize Rich,I believe I might have been somewhat equivocal as far as my question went.I guess I will have to give in to PAD and buy one.Don
There is something uniquely Japanese about the style of Tsuge pipes. For that reason alone it's nice to have one in the rotation. I find their aesthetic very appealing.

EC Outlaw is correct. The one he has, and mine as well, make great flake pipes.

Enjoy!