Turkish vs Oriental

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Storm_Crow

Reaction score
Soo...just to clarify...I realize that both "turkish" and "orientals" are an umbrella name for a variety of different baccys...but are these terms interchangable, or are certain kinds of leaf turkish, and other leaves orientals?

I've heard that turkish actually comes from Greece, but neither Greece nor Turkey are in the "orient" so that leads me to believe they are different...yet I've seen blends referred to as oriental that are said to contain turkish rather than oriental.

Also, I've sampled a couple oriental and turkish blends, and there certainly is a flavor similarity between them, leading me to believe they may be the same.

If they are different, which leaves are considered oriental, and which are turkish?

The archaic usage of 'oriental' did in fact encompass what we consider the Middle East today.

You are correct that both terms are wrongly used as a catchall for anything with Tobacco from the region.

In the modern usage it is acceptable to use them interchangeably for any number of variants or the more common hodge podge of mixed leaves from the region.

puros_bran":n0cour5n said:
The archaic usage of 'oriental' did in fact encompass what we consider the Middle East today.

You are correct that both terms are wrongly used as a catchall for anything with Tobacco from the region.

In the modern usage it is acceptable to use them interchangeably for any number of variants or the more common hodge podge of mixed leaves from the region.
Puros!! You sound so, so....erudite!! LOL

There are a lot of different "oriental" tobaccos. I'm afraid I'd have hard time telling the difference between them by taste alone.