Two more to keep me busy

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briar Spirit

Reaction score
BSP - NDP12

The block for this pipe was originally put aside as scrap as it has really bad sandpits on the surface of the block and I mean they were really bad, just seemed pointless even looking into this block at all so in the box of scraps it went, this was very frustrating of course as these larger Plateaux blocks are expensive and are used to make more expensive pipes so the loss of yet another block hit home pretty hard.

Needing something to fill my time and get my head out of the turmoil for a spell I decided to have a look inside the block to see what was in there, I am so pleased I did so for the sandpits stopped quite soon into the block, well, sort of, this was originally a pretty big block of Briar and it has yielded a quite small pipe in the end, not too small of course as you can see from the shots with the standard zippo lighter for scale purposes.

I've had a few people asking me to put silver bands on pipes and each time I have said it was something I was unable to do, this has irked me each time, putting a band on a pipe by hand filing the Briar is a task of pure insanity, drove me bonkers with the almost endless removing of tiny bits of Briar until the band could fit the end of the shank. Annoyingly I discovered that putting on a band was even more complicated than I suspected and as you can see I made more than the one mistake. Getting the shank shaped nicely should have been done before I fitted the band, something I still didn't learn even on the second try which I include below.

The band on this pipe is solid 9ct Gold but the hallmark is inside the band as it is in fact an old gold ring I had, meh, I couldn't just nip off and order a band so I had to make do with what I had to hand.

IMG_2827.jpg

IMG_2828.jpg

IMG_2829.jpg

IMG_2826.jpg

BSP - NDP13

This block has pretty much the same story as NDP12 except this one was rejected because of the flawed grain as well as having some nasty sandpits on the surface, again I am pleased I took the trouble to see what was inside, not as pleased as with NDP12 but still pretty pleased.

The band on this one is White Gold, yes another old ring I had to hand and yes, I failed to allow for the shaping of the shank before fitting the band, trying to shape the shanks better after fitting the bands ended up causing too much damage to the bands so I had to settle for 'good enough'.

IMG_2875.jpg

IMG_2876.jpg

IMG_2877.jpg

IMG_2878.jpg

Both are true beauties.  Outstanding work, Kirk.  Making a silk purse out of a sow's ear is not an easy task...but you manage to do it every time.  Congratulations on two fine looking smokers.

Those two are beautiful, love those amber stems you use. The gold ring looks like a great fit to me and sings with the stem on that first one.

Kirk,
BOTH of those are some VERY NICE examples of your consummate craftsmanship !! I particularly like the amber stemmed one as white stems are not one of my favorite colors for a stem . The grain on BOTH is FANTASTIC !! :twisted: :twisted:

Kirk mate, you might see flaws but I see two beautiful pipes worthy of being BSP quality smoking machines. Love the metal band treatments.

Rock on brother!

8)

Cheers,

RR

Thank you guys so very very much for the encouragement and kindness, I am actually going to re-work the second pipe as I can see a much nicer pipe hiding inside of the mess concealing it, more to come on that when it is done. :sunny:

DrumsAndBeer":9pwg46sc said:
Kirk, those are fantastic! 8)

Lovely work.
Thank you Chris, there have been big changes made to the second one today, it is looking so much nicer now, got all the re-shaping done and the first 3 stages of sanding done, just need to do the 4 stages of staining and final sanding then it's waxing time, photo's to follow upon completion. :sunny:

I came back and looked at the amber stemmed one again and that stem/bowl juncture carving you did just BLEW ME AWAY !! THAT is some FANTASTIC work and this pipe may be one of the BEST I seen of yours in ALL ways !! DAMN!!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :twisted:

Both are stunning.  The amber stemmed one really speaks to me.  Love that little notch on the underside on the shank where it meets the bottom of the bowl.  Awesome job!!

I've got two BSP's thus far and they both fall into my top ten, maybe even top five (!) smokers. One is a well grained smooth sorta Dublin thing, it's arced stem making it the most Irish feelin' pipe I've ever seen. The other, quite recent, is a lovely rusticated bent egg. Both are lovely and will be cherished. Of the two shown here, I like the first perhaps the best. Is it the way the briar's grain and the figure in the tortoise stem align? Is it the deft handling of the progression of shapes transitioning the shank into the stem...or the lovely swell of the stem before it tapers to the bit? Is it the gold? Or perhaps the aspect of his "using what he had" as a design criteria? Is it the unique sizing that still gives off a sort of lanky feel? Oh heck! Sure, it's all of those things. I've never seen one of his pipes that only had a few things to love! lol

Oh you guys are so sweet, thank you so very very much for the truly wonderful and kind replies, I was so sure that after the night I just had today was going to prove to be just another horrid and trying event but you guys have put some sunshine in my day and the sun isn't even up yet, thank you so much.

I did some work on #13, there's still some work to be done with several stages of staining and fine sanding to get the grain to pop again but I think she looks better now.

IMG_2871.jpg

Beautiful work! That first one up is just gorgeous.

Thank you both very much for the kind words, means a great deal to me. :cheers: :sunny: