Two questionsa

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipedJimmy

Reaction score
One, is there any particular reason I can't seem to find McClelland distributors in the U.K. (on the internet)? and two, I read somewhere that certain blends of tobacco don't react too well to relights as it gives them a bitter/ sour taste? I experienced this before but not as pronounced as when I was smoking a bowl of St. Bruno's Ready Rubbed the other day, it was wonderful and flavourful until I got called away from it and then upon relighting there were hints of the old flavour but also an overwhelming bitter taste that was not pleasant.

As for your first question, you'd have to ask the various internet dealers you do business with. Here's the contact info for McClelland--
McClelland Tobacco Company
P.O. Box 7005
Country Club Station
Kansas City, MO 64113

I've heard that 4 Noggins ships around the world and in my limited experience they provide excellent customer service.
4 Noggins website

As for your second question, burleys and heavy burley blends tend to have a bitter relight. As for any specific reasons, I can't remember. Sorry.

Jim

I've found this bitter relight as well. But it happens intermittently & with a variety of tobaccos. I put it down to the unburnt portion - the blue area - of the flame coming into prolonged contact with the surface of the tobacco.

The McClelland bulk Burleys IMHO, do not take relights very well, especially if the bowl is allowed to cool. The relight produces a taste similar to the smell of burnt popcorn, which I don't like. So I tend to stay with their VA and Frog Morton blends.

Hmmm very strange, will have to work on my ability to smoke a pipe in one. Thank you all.