Ugly Duckling

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puffer Mark

Reaction score
Greetings fellow pipe folk.

I decided to pop on this rather odd but (to me) interesting little fella, after some dickering with the seller.

He confirms no stampings or logos. Any of you enlightened brothers seen anything similar? Ever??

Besides freehand (or simply ugly), what the devil would you call the thing?

Any comments welcome.

I would call it a spool, but I just pulled that out of the ether. This isn't the first I've ever seen. Betcha Mr. Cartaphilus, Esq. would know. Nice blast or whatever. Strangely, I like it. Thumbs up.

That looks like a great "bowl in the hand" pipe; that protrusion at the bottom of the bowl will fit perfectly between the middle and ring fingers! A neat twist on a fairly basic shape, which I like. Enjoy!

From the shape of the tapered saddle bit it has on it and the button shape as well as the color and depth of blast it has some elements of a Dark Relief Charatan Skater type shape from the early '70s . Without any trace of stampings or other back story though your guess is as good as any !! :twisted: If you got it for a decent price and it cleans up well, load that puppy up with some McC's Red Va and enjoy !! :twisted: :twisted:

FWIW -- I have a pipe that's sorta like yours. It's 5 1/4" x 1 3/4". Stampings say BB&S [i.e., Barling] 5607 Challenger London, England. This is on the underside of the stem. I understood the design is known as a Sled, for the prowlike, jutting forward edge of the bowl. My pipe isn't exactly like yours. I'd describe the carving of mine as more stylised, with a sharper prow, a shorter, thinner stem, a longer slightly curved mouthpiece, and a slight waist to the bowl. Mine has a blast finish and sits, although precariously. The carver of your pipe seems to have gone for a sturdy, natural look with a shorter mouthpiece, and a rugged oval stem. I can easily see its appeal. If you put Barling 5607 in your browser and choose a Worthpoint link, I think you may find a pipe that at least resembles yours. I'm not sure how helpful the above will be to you, but I hope you enjoy your new to you pipe.

It reminds me of a cross between a Hilson and a Stanwell.
I think when it's all cleaned up and sparkling it be a looker. ;)

First, that ain't no ugly pipe. Once it's cleaned up a bit, I bet you're gonna' really enjoy your "get!!" Second, I noticed from your pics that the stem-to-shank fit seems tight and well finished. Third, the carver spent some time doing some nice rustication on bowl and shank. Fourth, FWIW, I've seen that large oval stem & bit on BBB's, Barling's, and GBDs; but not with that bowl. I have seen a straight-sided bowl somewhat like your "wasp-waisted" one from the same three makers with different shanks/bits; but not your exact configuration. Like I said...FWIW!!!! Enjoy :cheers: FTRPLT

When it comes to variations on a particular theme, in pipe collecting there's no such thing as too many.

A very unique pipe Mark, and I nice addition to your collection. Congrats! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks for all the kind comments, folks.

I have to admit the more I look at those pics, the more it's growing on me, as is the anticipation of it's arrival.

Best wishes to all.

Call it the Shoehorn. I also predict that it will eventually become one of your favorites.

picturerock":kxxy23c0 said:
Call it the Shoehorn.  I also predict that it will eventually become one of your favorites.
Shoehorn. I like it.

And welcome to BoB rockman. Now get thee over to the Welcome Wagon and introduce yourself!

;)

Cheers,

RR

Well, you fellas were right. She cleaned up nice, even with my limited equipment and skill and therefore of necessity "less is more" approach. Interestingly it was well smoked with quite some cake on rim and bowl, but was clean as a whistle inside, possibly indicating it was well liked and taken care of by previous owner.

No McC's Red Va for me unfortunately with limited local supply, but stuffed it with some of the Hon. GL Pease's Haddow's Delight this a.m. and she smoked great. Has a very open draw.

One thing, though. It has a sort of depression in the bottom of the bowl into which the draft hole terminates. Best way to describe this depression is if you were to make a mold of the bowl the result would be breast shaped (hello Dr. Freud) with the depression forming the nipple, with a rim running around it. I have something similar on my Cherrywood and whether this is by design or a the result of miss-drilling of the draft hole, with it being drilled too low, and the bottom of the bowl then having to be modified to open the draft hole, I do not know.

That rustication sure is craggy. The right side of the bowl has a depression so deep it puts me in fear of burnout. We'll just see how it goes. It still smoked pretty cool in the hand despite the 'waist'.

Anyhow, some pics herewith (and apologies for limited photographic skill).

Hey, Mark -- Check this out -- Go to Smoking pipes.com > Blog. Then scroll to "Savinelli"s Punto Oro Line." The 3/31/15 entry by Sykes Wilford is headlined "Savinelli 1876" over a visual of five nifty Sav Punto Oro pipes. The pipe on the left in this visual should look kinda familiar to you. By coincidence, I have the sterling military mounted Punto Oro pot on the right in my collection. I bought it about 30 years ago, and the size and mount have made it one of my favorite traveling buddies. An appealing thing about your pipe is that it's over on the "natural" end of the carver's spectrum, seemingly done with little or subtle artifice, rather than the more personal, highly stylized, embellished verions of the pipemakers' art. There's something about the former style that appeals to me, though to each his own on this matter, for sure.

Have to agree that it's probably a well polished SANDBLASTED Savinelli !! That might account for it not having any stamping left! Sounds like you got a good one !! :twisted: :twisted: