UK Tobacco Wishlist

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Manhattan

Reaction score
My mother is travelling to England soon, and asked me what sort of souvenir she could bring back... the gers started turning and I realized this was a great chance to try a few UK blends that are elusive on this side of the pond.

Two questions, thanks in advance for your expertise:

1. What blend should I ask for that's worth getting and can't be found in the US? (All the better if it's widely-available; I don't want to send my dear mum on a scavenger hunt.)

2. What's the Duty-Free allowance for pipe tobacco? Any personal experiences? The official site doesn't mention it at all, and the closest guideline I found only said "a reasonable amount," and I assume you have to claim it's for personal use. I don't imagine one or two tins is going to raise any eyebrows, but any input would be helpful.

I second Mick Mick McQuaid Plug, Capstan and Orlik Brown Sliced.

I'd have her pick up some Capstan flakes.....

Thank you gentlemen--I'll email her a list with a few choices, and ask her to bring back 2-3 different ones, price allowing.

Hey try both St. Bruno's Ready Rubbed and Flake, both are available in pretty much any supermarket and are reasonably priced!

Revor Plug is definitely worth a try. I'm smoking the last 161 g of 500 g I bought 3 years ago.

My mother returned from England with a parcel of tobacco for me! Selection was limited but she did admirably--all tobaccos I've never seen on this side of the pond:

50g tin Mick McQuaid Square Cut
25g pouch St. Bruno Flake
50g pouch Capstan RR Navy Cut

A fine selection from a great lady! I'm very grateful.

I'm going away for the weekend and I'll bring along one of those handy pouches for the trip.