Ukraine pipes on Ebay?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyS

Reaction score
I hope this doesn't go against the rules.... There are some pipes made in the Ukraine on Ebay that have caught my eye. There is one seller "lovelyfrom_ukraine" selling a few that I like. The seller doesn't state their material so I queried him about that. They're probably briar but I'm still a newbie so figured I'd ask... I was wondering if anyone here has bought from this seller or would offer any advise on these? Thanks.

...I sent a message many months ago and never heard a thing...I inquired as to material; briar or whatever...weight...and what they used to finish a pipe, sealers, stain, etc. Personally, I'd be careful... :?:

I like the eagle and bear pipes they have up now. No response yet from the seller. I'll post the reply...if I get one.

Cheap mass produced, non-briar, crap....IMHO

To be fair, I don't speak from experience. Just doesn't look like quality.

Hermit":0lv5r55f said:
Ocelot55":0lv5r55f said:
Cheap mass produced, non-briar, crap....IMHO

To be fair, I don't speak from experience. Just doesn't look like quality.

That was my take, too.
Looks that way to me too.
Although they look cool if you are just wanting the cool carving you might try meerschaum pipes instead. If it is just about getting a pipe that will be a good smoker there are tons of makers you can get under or right about a hundred dollars. Heck you can pick up good smoking Peterson for 75. If you do decide to get one let us know how it is. I wouldn't get my hopes up, but if it turns out to be a great pipe then awesome.

Well gents, here's the seller's exact reply to my question of what material the wood is: "wood - pear -tree root" I'm passing for now.

...at least a response...I don't have any experience with Pear Wood...I do have an olivewood pipe, smoked it a few times, and many years ago, I had a cherrywood pipe...I always assumed Pear was a soft woodf, therefore, would not last very long...but I could be mistaken. Maybe other Brothers have experience... :?:

From Wikipedia:

"Pear wood is one of the preferred materials in the manufacture of high-quality woodwind instruments and furniture. It is also used for wood carving, and as a firewood to produce aromatic smoke for smoking meat or tobacco. Pear wood is valued for kitchen spoons, scoops and stirrers, as it does not contaminate food with color, flavor or smell, and resists warping and splintering despite repeated soaking and drying cycles. Lincoln[11] describes it as "a fairly tough, very stable wood... (used for) carving... brushbacks, umbrella handles, measuring instruments such as set squares and T-squares... recorders... violin and guitar fingerboards and piano keys... decorative veneering." Pearwood is the favored wood for architect's rulers because it does not warp. It is similar to the wood of its relative, the apple tree, Pyrus malus (also called Malus domestica) and used for many of the same purposes."