Unbelievable...do you think this is possible?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! And it only weighs just shy of 2 pounds!

I'm joining the revolution!

Rad

That takes me back as I had a "car phone"'for years until I got my first portable bag phone.

I remember using a phone that weighed and looked the same as a plastic cinder block. I miss the sound of eggs frying when I brought it to my ear. :twisted:

And that was the "modern era". Remember when you called a girl for a date you did it from the only phone in the house? It was a wallphone in the kitchen and you had a party line. When you called, the girl's mom answered and you were obliged to speak to her before her daughter? Man what a guy used to have to go through just to connect for Saturday night.

While I don't have the thing-a-ma-jig to look at the link posted I can definitely relate to the quote below.

My family had a party line back in the early 60's and there was one dial phone on the wall in the kitchen. I thought it was a pretty big deal when we got a private number.

Back then our exchange started with the first two letters of the name of the area. So as an example if our number was Evergreen 2-3456, then we learned to remember EV2-3456.

Also thought it was big deal when we got a second phone line. This was unheard of back then. It went into the folks bedroom. That way I could sneak in and make funny phone calls while the folks were watching TV!

:twisted:

Cheers,

RR

LIPIPE":gpkqgm4v said:
And that was the "modern era". Remember when you called a girl for a date you did it from the only phone in the house? It was a wallphone in the kitchen and you had a party line. When you called, the girl's mom answered and you were obliged to speak to her before her daughter? Man what a guy used to have to go through just to connect for Saturday night.

My phone number back then was Ludlow 3...LU3-2172. No area codes yet. All of New York City just had regular phone numbers. If you needed to call New Jersey you dialed 11 and then the phone number. Anything else was long distance requiring an operator. God help anybody today who dials 0 and thinks an operator will answer. Funny in the "olden days" we waited for a dial tone and then dialed our rotory dial. Today we press buttons, however, we still need dial tones. My kids once asked me what a dial is. I explained that it was a circle with holes all around it that you put your fingers in to twirl it around. Then you heard a ringing signal or you got a busy signal. Next question was "What's a busy signal?" After I tried to explain the response was "couldn't you just leave voice mail?" Man, am I an old fart or what?

Not quite as old a fart as you, but still I can relate.....

Always remember dialing zero first when making a "long distance call" and then talking to the "operator". The folks specifically made this a restricted activity, and told me to "keep it short!"

In fact they always drilled it into my head to keep all phone calls short in case "someone else" needed to call!

Remember when the push button phones came in. That was a revolution!

Cheers,

RR

LIPIPE":qkg7995l said:
My phone number back then was Ludlow 3...LU3-2172. No area codes yet. All of New York City just had regular phone numbers. If you needed to call New Jersey you dialed 11 and then the phone number. Anything else was long distance requiring an operator. God help anybody today who dials 0 and thinks an operator will answer. Funny in the "olden days" we waited for a dial tone and then dialed our rotory dial. Today we press buttons, however, we still need dial tones. My kids once asked me what a dial is. I explained that it was a circle with holes all around it that you put your fingers in to twirl it around. Then you heard a ringing signal or you got a busy signal. Next question was "What's a busy signal?" After I tried to explain the response was "couldn't you just leave voice mail?" Man, am I an old fart or what?

WaydeG":nutuua4c said:
That takes me back as I had a "car phone"'for years until I got my first portable bag phone.

I remember that, I had an AudioVox? Installed in my vehicle around 1990.

Think it was about 1500 at the time.

Hey! I *still* had a party-line at my cabin in the Queen Charlotte Islands up until I sold it (the cabin) a couple of years ago! Only two other houses on the line, mind you, and all of us were part time residents, moving in and out with the fishing seasons.

I found it odd that we had to go from a seven digit number to a ten digit number up there, because they "were running out of numbers". Sandspit (the town my cabin was in) has a population of less than 500...

StephenDownie":x6cb1owo said:
I remember using a phone that weighed and looked the same as a plastic cinder block. I miss the sound of eggs frying when I brought it to my ear. :twisted:
That was your brain, as those early versions sent out microwave pulses that could be clearly heard accross the galaxy today! :affraid:

Natch

Natch":v4tfk0hu said:
StephenDownie":v4tfk0hu said:
That was your brain, as those early versions sent out microwave pulses that could be clearly heard accross the galaxy today! :affraid:

Natch
So thaaaat´s why Bernie Madoff slowly lost it.... :twisted: