Undiscovered Blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derlict311

Reaction score
Since joining the community, I have taken the advice of others and tried blends I wouldn't have normally tried. Some are now among my current favorites (JP's Storm Front, Peretti's Royal Blend). Much of that distinction is because they remain fairly subdued in their popularity (at least nationwide) and are quite available. My question here is what blends do you recommend that are still kind of 'under the radar' of hype and yet are not to be missed?? A penny for your thoughts...

You're obviously a man of refinement and taste. StormFront is a 'find' of mine based on a suggestion seen on these hallowed pages. For the merit I place on that one blend I would easily give up nearly the entire remainder of my cellar. So, I'm pleased someone else has mentioned it as a 'bonus prize' related to the other benefits of membership in 'the Brotherhood'.

On a related topic (not tryin' to hijack...just excited) John Patton (StormFront's erstwhile blender) is in the process of making many more of his blends available than are currently to be found at 4-N's...via a different B&M/etail vendor! HooAhhhhh!

Other than Stormfront I have to admit that it was a number of posts here that got me to at last try the Gawith & Hogwarts 'sweet' twists. The rum and whiskey are superb, the supposed sweetness not being noticed except to just take the edge off the harsher 'brown twist' base and the flavors being just a hint. The coconut is a little much. Never tried the maple...someday...someday. Enjoying the two spirited twists so much I went back in re-discovered many other G&H blends that have been valued additions to my cellar...best find there has been the Dark Plug and Flake blends. Killer...almost literally!

I have heard about dark plug. I suppose it is just that, a dark plug. Is it sweet too? I think my B&M has some G&H unscented dark flake(?) Same blend, right?

So far as I've heard Dark Flake is Dark Plug...sliced. To my taste neither has the least smidgeon of sweetness. You might be well served by reading the myriad of reviews out there...where you'll likely find comments ranging from road tar to ambrosia. To me it seems to have a Kentucky-like flavor...it's flue cured I think, and if that's the case it would account for the smokey nuances, which are totally unlike latakia in nature. It's very strong, so I usually smoke it in a mini cob or some other smaller sized bowl. That's my read on it. IMHO Gawith & Hogwarts is the maker of more absolutely stellar blends than any other. No one...comes anywhere near them in that regard. Out of at least a dozen or more 'world's best' blends, this is, arguably, one of their top three.