Uneven Burn When Using H.I.S. Straight Dublin

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmoore13

Reaction score
I just bought a new H.I.S. Straight Dublin and so far it is great pipe, but the only problem that I am having is that when I light the bowl. It seems to only light the portion closest to the stem. This pipe does have a rather large bowl, and I'm not sure if that is the reason or if it is due to it not being broken-in yet.

Any thoughts?

Not knowing anything about you or how you smoke, I'd guess that you are packing too lightly and not tamping and relighting after your initial light? Careful tamping is actually strategic air management - you can direct more air (= more combustion) by leaving a place less compact in the chamber.

So I'd say light the pipe, take a few puffs, then tamp the part of the bowl nearest the airway (the 6 oclock spot) and then relight the "front".

Yep, it took me quite a bit of experimenting and quite a few half burned bowls of baccy to figure that out. Jees, to think all this time I could have just asked Sas. :lol:

Tamp a teency bit more on what you want to burn slower, and less so on the part that needs to get caught up to the rest. When you light, the looser part should catch quicker and stronger than the tighter part.

Frost":u49m39rx said:
Yep, it took me quite a bit of experimenting and quite a few half burned bowls of baccy to figure that out. Jees, to think all this time I could have just asked Sas. :lol:

Tamp a teency bit more on what you want to burn slower, and less so on the part that needs to get caught up to the rest. When you light, the looser part should catch quicker and stronger than the tighter part.
Well said Frost!

:cheers: :cheers:

Alot of Dublins are canted away from your face making it even more difficult to light, a "cutty" like affect, Ken :tongue:

Thanks a lot guys, that was all I needed to do to. Now I can make sure the break-in process is as thorough as possible.