Unintentional Delayed Gratification

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipeGeek

Reaction score
If you read my PAD post, you know I picked up several new tobaccos at a B&M on my current business trip. Of these, 4 are tins of new tobacco, and by that I mean it hasn't been sitting on the shelf for years. Reading here and on the tobacco reviews site, I've learned some folks have issues when taking moist tobacco and smoking it right ofter loading their pipe. I had intended on experimenting with letting tobacco sit in the bowl for a while, but I didn't think I'd be doing it this soon.

Last night, my co-workers headed to dinner at a restaurant a little ways from the office. I got there early, so I loaded a pipe with my new Mac Baren Burley London Blend and stashed it in my coat pocket for later. As it turns out, the dinner lasted longer and I got a lot fuller than I intended. I drove straight back to the hotel afterwards and managed to nod off before enjoying that pipe.

I remembered it this morning as I was heading in to the office, so it served as my first pipe of the day. As it turns out, it lit immediately and readily, smoked very well and I experienced no gurgle in the bowl at all. It was quite a pleasant smoke!

Not the first time things like this have happened, my friend. I've had similar instances when I would load a pipe and then not get to it for a day or two. Things happen.

That's correct, it seems that most tobaccos are too moist right out of the tin and benefit from some drying time. My Peterson's Irish Whiskey is the only exception to this rule that i've found so far. All others i've tried - definitely...

Either way, glad you enjoyed it and hope you have many more pleasurable smokes from that tin.

Every now and then, usually after a bulk TAD, I will load up a sample before sealing off jars into a few pipes, wrap the loaded pipe with clear wrap. Over the course of two or three days I will smoke the pipes. They tend to be great smokes, I believe under the principle of letting tobacco dry and air a bit before smoking. If I was a better planner I'd setup the next pipe when smoking one and have three or four pipes lined up... but I don't think that far in advance.

calipuffer":tnsv0ta7 said:
Every now and then, usually after a bulk TAD, I will load up a sample before sealing off jars into a few pipes, wrap the loaded pipe with clear wrap. Over the course of two or three days I will smoke the pipes. They tend to be great smokes, I believe under the principle of letting tobacco dry and air a bit before smoking. If I was a better planner I'd setup the next pipe when smoking one and have three or four pipes lined up... but I don't think that far in advance.
Wifey is out of town til sunday, and last night I loaded up three pipes (smoked one yesterday, and one the day before, so i was letting them dry 2 and 1 more day respectively. Smoked one after work today, and will smoke one more tonight, load up my back up so i have two tomorrow, and will have the remaining one loaded tomorrow for saturday and whatever I smoked today will be dry enough by sunday. I am armed to the teeth for a weekend unfettered.

Nodding off at night and leaving a half finished bowl is a pretty common occurence here. I just finish it off the next morn and all is fine.