Unknown Tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldbear58

Reaction score
I have this small sample of an otherwise unmarked tobacco labeled only "4h".

It appears to be cube cut, dark and mild, though it has a strong nicotine kick.

I suspect it is perique, any other guesses?

dscn8411.jpg

Perique isn't necessarily strong. It has an amazing effect on other tobaccos with time. And it can possibly affect people differently. For me, it's mild when smoked by itself. Rather uninteresting.

As to the tobacco sample. I assume from your comment that it does have perique. There is a cube cut tobacco present, so, probably a burley. Could it be that what you have is Old Joe Krantz?

Well, from what's written on the label, you know it's NOT 5th !! :twisted: :twisted:

I can rule out Old Joe Krantz, never heard of it.

I carefully avoid latakias, so unlikely that.

Its probably a small poorly labeled sample of perique, especially considering I am a periqueophile.

Oldbear

Blackhorse":ukmwy0ib said:
Looks like 4n or maybe Tn.

I don't think Old JK is nearly that dark.

Any hint of a scent or Latakia, etc.?
Correct. OJK is definitely not that dark. But I think the scribble is a TH, meaning you should smoke some every Thursday until you figure it out or run out. :joker:

The answer to the question is: perique.

It has the dry, buggy odor of perique and a slight fig scent and appears to be a pure sample (not a mixture).

Also, the "4h" appears to be the exact same on many of my bags from the same supplier (Pipes & Cigars) and is probably a shipper's or packer's initials.

But now I am really curious about Old Joe Krantz!

I am growing bored with Va Pers and enjoying burley mixtures more.

We'll see.

Oldbear

I think it's 'th'.. Someone forgot the 'c'..for californa of course... :twisted: