Unwelcome Surprise

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River_Dave

Reaction score
Opened a tin of SG Perfection today (ten minutes after I bought it, and ten miles down the road) only to find mold all over the inside of the lid. Has anyone else ever experienced this turd in a punchbowl?

Yeah, take it back. Never had a problem with mold, however I have had plenty of square/rectangular tins give up the ghost and lose their seal. Depending on were you live this could lead to mold or dry tobacco.. :x 

Ugh....... Been there smoked that! Truly sorry you had to experience that brother. Long story short power outage couldn't see what I was loading and it was just about enough to make me quit! I have severe allergies and nearly ended up in the hospital for aniphalaxis. Like the brothers say take it back.

Jim

My local doesn't open until 10:30, and believe me I will be there shortly afterwards to exchange the moldy tin for a new one. The lady at the counter seems friendly enough; wonder if she would mind me opening the replacement tin, this time before exiting the facility?

For your viewing pleasure, here is a shot of the inside of the tin. Note the black fungus like growths around the inside of the lid and spots of mold gently caressing the paper...

Once properly exchanged, I can't imagine why anyone in the store would object to you opening your own tin...anywhere at any time.

Re the tin itself...stuff happens, right? It's no great horror that a seal failed and mold spores or whatever that is got in there got a hold and started to grow. Good that it's such a very, very rare occurance...and that even the very long term storage of the vast majority of tins is so effective.

The rectangular tins are the worst culprits for broken seals.  :evil: 

Was there any hiss or pop when you opened the tin at all? How does the tobacco itself look? Does it smell off? I ask because some blends that are packed moist can soak into the paper lining and it looks a lot like that. If there's no distinct moldy smell it might just be that. SG generally has a very high moisture content in their tobaccos.

Recently I opened a 7 year old tin of Butera Pelican. There was a definite hiss when I opened it but the lid and paper looked a lot like that. The tobacco itself was perfectly fine.

The picture looks more like rust than mould, at least to my eyes.  How does the tobacco look? It might not be a problem.

Mold is pretty rare. I have never run across it in all the tins I have opened.

Rust and stained white piper is pretty much the norm.

The gasket on that tin does have a blue/green kind of color to it.