Upgraded the 'puter

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get on a phone and give your computer geek remote access. He'll tell you what to do. The fix will take him about 60 seconds, in my experience.

Richard Burley":desxgxcv said:
Get on a phone and give your computer geek remote access. He'll tell you what to do. The fix will take him about 60 seconds, in my experience.

I'll be bringing to him tomorrow. I want to see what he does.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":weu8deje said:
Richard Burley":weu8deje said:

I'll be bringing to him tomorrow. I want to see what he does.

Cheers,

RR
You can do that with remote access. Ask him to go slow. :lol:

Fixed finally! Now have the tabs and address toolbar back. Screen size also full.

Took the guy about a couple minutes and now I know where to look if something like this happens again.

What a relief!

:bom:

Cheers,

RR

It's always harder to explain than just have someone do it for you. And I never really remember all that stuff. I always trial and erred it at least once before. :sunny:

Carlos":bvnv9q9m said:
It's always harder to explain than just have someone do it for you.  And I never really remember all that stuff.  I always trial and erred it at least once before.  :sunny:
Ya, he knew right where to look and now it seems obvious after watching him do it. Problem is when I go fiddling around with stuff I don't know it usually ends up badly!

Still, all's well that ends well. For the first time since the upgrade 2 weeks or so ago I finally have everything back to some semblance of familiarity. And being able to finally play music and stuff like youtube is a big plus.

However now I have to get set up with better speakers, as all I have is the crappy ones in the monitor and they're all but useless. Any recommendations on what I should be looking for?

Cheers,

RR

You can do all kinds of stuff with speakers. On my upstairs system I have a tube DAC from Maverick Audio which links my MAC 1900 receiver and two pair of Klipsch Heresy II's. But just any old set of powered computer speakers will likely give decent sound to your system.

I'd buy cheap. A $30 Coby speaker set has lasted me five years and sounds pretty good to me for digital music. Isn't it limited to 128 kbs or something, no matter what you do? Anyhow, it's not like you're playing ultra-grade audio.

Thanks for the recommendation Richard. Due to some recent significant and unexpected expenses I may have to wait a bit on acquiring any speakers for the 'puter.

Cheers,

RR

I'm certainly not an audio expert or anything, but Altec Lansing speakers have always worked fine for me. Not fancy or anything, but neither am I.

Havta agree, Altec's do me fine, have justa 2.1 setup with a SoundBlaster card and is sounds good. ;)

Been enjoying the upgrade, but there is a definite learning curve.

Had a little problem recently that's hard to explain. I must have brushed my hand across some key clumsily, and it screwed things up. Basically put me back into the same situation I had when I took in the computer back to the geek.

Having seen what he did, I was able to get things back to where I wanted. But it was a tenuous thing as I really wasn't confident of what I was doing. Yet, it seemed to work. Perhaps you can teach an old dog new tricks after all. Hope I can remember it next time!

Cheers,

RR

Know what pisses me off more than anything?

When the effin' computer decides to change something on the browser even though I didn't do anything.

Late yesterday I was having connection issues with this site, and closed the browser. This normally corrects the problem, or at least as far as I can ascertain.

This time when it opened I had the exact same issues when it went south before. That being the window for whatever I wanted was 3/4 page width, and no toolbar!

Fortunately I wrote down the steps necessary to restore this when I took it to the geek last time. And I was successful in getting it back, but it did take some trial and error.  As this seems to happen infrequently, the procedure is not something that I will be able to recall from memory. 

Frankly I don't understand why this would change just by shutting down the browser. There have been several instances of me brushing my hand over some key in a clumsy fashion, which has then resulted in a problem. But not this time.

In any event I didn't have to take the box back to the geek this time. Next time, who knows?

No Cheers,

RR

I've never had that problem or ever heard of such a thing BD, maybe your OP doesn't like Firefox. :scratch:

Brewdude":sfzz7tpn said:
This time when it opened I had the exact same issues when it went south before. That being the window for whatever I wanted was 3/4 page width, and no toolbar!
I've seen something similar before. Not sure what causes it, but my guess is some gnarly script errors on some of these websites.