UPS and tobacco - only licensed dealers may ship

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandalfpc

Reaction score
Still conversing with them to be sure, but this is the response I received when asking UPS about shipping Pipe tobacco between two individuals...

------

Thank you for your question about shipping tobacco products. UPS appreciates the business of all its customers, and makes every prudent effort to provide for their needs. The following are specific limitations for the shipment of tobacco products within the UPS system:

- Shipments of tobacco products will only be accepted from licensed dealers or distributors.

- Shipments of tobacco products from consumers are prohibited.

- Shipping of tobacco products from licensed dealers and distributors to consumers will be a contract only service.

- Shipments between licensed dealers or distributors will not require a contract.

- Shipments of tobacco products cannot be shipped using One Time Pickup or On Call Pickups.

As a result of these changes, tobacco products can not be shipped from any UPS retail shipping outlet. The UPS retail shipping outlets are: locations of The UPS Store or Mail Boxes Etc., Customer Centers, Authorized Shipping Outlets (ASOs), Alliance partners (Staples and Office Depot locations), and Commercial Counters. The only exception is for The UPS Store or Mail Boxes Etc. locations where a sales representative or employee of a tobacco company is returning a tobacco shipment back to the company and utilizes any UPS Return Service.

Our tobacco policy also includes changes due to the changes in state regulations restricting the sale and/or transportation of cigarettes. During this time, we've made extensive efforts to comply with all the different regulations, but have come to a point where this is no longer feasible given the size and scope of our global operations. UPS made the business decision to discontinue delivery of cigarettes direct to consumers in order to establish a consistent policy that will work best within this patchwork of differing state requirements on shippers, carriers and recipients.

FedEx it is :)

just heard back from UPS:

----

Thank you for your response. These limitations apply to all types and forms of tobacco. I hope this information is helpful.

I do apologize for any frustration this situation may have caused.

Please contact us if you need any additional assistance.

:evil:

- Shipping of tobacco products from licensed dealers and distributors to consumers will be a contract only service.

That answers a lot, and explains why just less than thirty minutes ago the brown truck showed up and left a box from smokingpipes containing a Johs pipe and six tins of Escudo on my back step (no signature or anything as usual), but I heard just last week that individuals were prohibited from shipping tins from their local UPS store.

Now, how long will it be when until they cancel this dealer-to-consumer service I wonder?

In any case, thanks for inquiring and posting this information. Very informative indeed!

Now now - I don't remember any president standing up for tobacco rights since the 1800's

Indeed - the real offender here is UPS.

Although I would agree that national health care means bad things for tobacco - leaving the debate about the need for national health care aside.

Once tobacco becomes completely illegal we can all pool together and buy our own island - the Dark Lord will have to join us of course, willing or not :)

Was shipping some first class USPS through my local mailbox express today. WHen he asked what was in the package and I said tobacco he looked like someone urinated in his diet coke. Now its not his fault - he looked up at the ceiling thought a bit and I could see what was going on so I said "Samples?" by which time he was typing and said "Gift". when I said youre kiddign he stated I agree but you gotta talk to the ATF.

Is this a new restriction?

Yeah from now on if I am asked what's in a box I will be elusive.

-Andrew

I was wondering when these restrictions would hit us. Man, it's time to buy tobacco, big time. I can order through my tobacconist, but as great a guy as he is and as wonderful of a store that he's got, he's an hour away!

It's real simple fellas, UPS has been pressured by states like New York & Washington.
The position is, "How do we know if this is really a gift or is this a SALE"

Here in NY State, even giving tobacco to another person constitutes a sale. Even though, there was no exchange of money!!!!!

It's just another way to "protect the revenue" of the state....blah blah blah :x

UPS doesn't want to be caught in any litigation with the States Attorneys General. Can't say I blame them. They are after all, a private business. Go with USPS & FedEx.

I use USPS and UPS fairly regularly shipping Fly Reels and other fishing stuff and I have never been asked what's box?

Let's just hope that they don't get tobacco sniffing dogs (as they have in at least one country)