Upshall B Dublin plateau

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstodvictory

Reaction score
Here's a James Upshall B I picked up in the mid '90s. It has just been cleaned up, so time for photos!

upshall_B_plateau_3.jpg

upshall_B_plateau_6.jpg

upshall_B_plateau_8.jpg

Sweet. 8)

Whenever I see one of the "real" Upshalls from the shop's earlier days, I remember why everyone was so excited by them at the time. (Willmer is another)

Wow that's an incredibly beautiful dublin there! As for being a "real" Upshall, what's changed in their production? Sorry if that sounds ill informed, but I cannot say I know much about Upshall's history and the likes and I'm always eager and hungry to learn more about pipes.

itsKot":gpx9m2bq said:
.....what's changed in their production?.....
Grade inflation, plus the prices have gotten out of hand. Pipes with grain that would not have merited a certain grade in the old days, are now being marketed in that grade, and at outrageous prices, at least on Ebay which is where the majority of the new US stock seems to be retailed these days.

Steve

For anyone who has been looking for a worthy Upshall, here is your chance. Judging by the briar quality on this particular piece, I'm guessing this is not recent production, rather it looks like a P-grade from the old days, and a particularly nice one at that. BTY, this is not one of my pipes, no self interest here. It just struck me as one I'd be interested in if I were shopping for an Upshall.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180770401304

Steve

Class act, that pipe. 8) Thanks for the eBay link, too... nice to see available pipes and what people who actually know think of them.

That is a great Upshall! I'm a big fan, having picked up two estate Upshalls in the past few months (S-Grade Rhodesian & P-Grade Bent Billiard). The Ezrati family sells some beautiful estate and NOS Upshalls on their webpage. Some P-grade pipes that sell in the $150-$200 range. They have a B-Grade plateau just like yours on the site right now, I'd say you better hang onto yours! I'd like to add a P-grade bulldog to my collection.

Both of mine smoke like dreams and have quickly became my two favorite pipes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-JAMES-UPSHALL-B-GRADE-FREEHAND-18TH-BENT-DUBLIN-PLATEAUX-TOP-MINT-NR-/400264562523?pt=UK_Collectables_Tobacciana_Smoking_LE&hash=item5d31a0875b

Beautiful pipes guys, all of them but, I must have stepped into the wrong room by mistake.

Where's the poor peoples pipe club?

Great examples of some fine Upshall pipes, thanks for sharing the photos gents. And yes, the older Upshalls can be had for more reasonable prices on the estate market.

Cartaphilus":qn25znwg said:
Beautiful pipes guys, all of them but, I must have stepped into the wrong room by mistake.

Where's the poor peoples pipe club?
$71 for my P-grade billiard, it took some work to regain the black stem & shine, but it was in terrific shape.

Super nice straight grain on your new prize. Im starting to get into the English pipes. Im waiting on a GBD antisapation is getting the best of me. Enjoy I know you will.