Use of the term Balkan to describe a particuar type of blend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bent bulldog

Reaction score
Hello Brothers: O.K. here was the question on the table at the last pipe club meeting, The term "Balkan" is often used these days to denote a particular type of mixture, usually Virginias, Turkish and Latakia combinations of various percentages. One of the older members brought up the fact that one of the earliest references he remembers to a Balkan style mixture was the name Balkan Sobranie, which, as we all know is the name of the storied blend from the House of Sobranie and dates back many decades. So here is the question. Was the word "Balkan" used to describe this type of mixture before the Sobranie people coined it or have all the "Balkan" style mixtures since the introduction of Balkan Sobranie used the term Balkan only just recently, like in the last 50 years as a common way to describe what in the old days was usually described as an English mixture or an Oriental mixture? Have at it and thanks in advance for any input you might have.

I've long used Greg's descriptions as a jumping off point and valued reference. He's obviously done his homework. Pity he doesn't post here anymore.

Cheers,

RR

Interesting topic. I agree with the sentiments that Greg expresses in his article. Essentially, the name of a popular product created verbiage that was then applied to mixtures that could be categorized into a sub-phylum of latakia blends. For a while Greg used the term Balkan Mixture on a number of his earlier blends but I believe he no longer does so.

I'd have to agree with Greg's description as well. The first time I heard the term "Balkan" to describe a blend/mixture was in relation to the Balkan Sobranie 759 vs Balkan Sobranie ( the white tin) back in the late '70s. For years it was the only blend/mixture I smoked and saw referred to as a "Balkan". Times change so that now many blend / mixtures which I recall were merely called "English" back then are referred to as "Balkan". :twisted: :twisted:

I personally think it was a term that was used interchageably with English blend. ie, anything non-aromatic that contains Orientals. Latakia being included as an Oriental. After the fact people tried to ascribe a separate meaning to it. JMVHO.

Way back when, I worked in a B&M in Raleigh, NC. This discussion came up one day when two of our sales reps/vendors were visiting the store. One rep described the differences this way:

Va. + Latakia = English,

English + Turkish/Orientals = Balkan,

Balkan - Latakia = Oriental.

FWIW...Sounded good in 1966 anyway!! :cheers: FTRPLT

ftrplt":a67c8omw said:
Way back when, I worked in a B&M in Raleigh, NC. This discussion came up one day when two of our sales reps/vendors were visiting the store. One rep described the differences this way:

Va. + Latakia = English,

Bingo.

joshoowah":14ujrxzl said:
ftrplt":14ujrxzl said:

Va. + Latakia = English,

Bingo.

So in other words:

Va & Lat = English
Va, Lat, & Oriental = Balkan

If that's what you're saying, that's generally how I categorize them in my mind, too.

Not sure about the Balkan - Lat = Oriental, though. That's pretty much saying that a Va blend with Oriental condimental leaf is an Oriental blend. That might have been true at one time, but it seems to me that more recent nomenclature pretty much just treats it as a Virginia and uses the blend descriptions to note the inclusion of the condimental leaf. Maybe it's just the blends I'm looking at, though.

C&D describes it this way.

"Latakia and Orientals are added to a base of Virginias. English blends may or may not have a percentage of Orientals but Balkans will always have Orientals added."

That is how I see it.

idbowman said:
joshoowah":hd49otnq said:
ftrplt":hd49otnq said:

Va. + Latakia = English,

Bingo.

So in other words:

Va & Lat = English
Va, Lat, & Oriental = Balkan

If that's what you're saying, that's generally how I categorize them in my mind, too.

Not sure about the Balkan - Lat = Oriental, though.  That's pretty much saying that a Va blend with Oriental condimental leaf is an Oriental blend.  That might have been true at one time, but it seems to me that more recent nomenclature pretty much just treats it as a Virginia and uses the blend descriptions to note the inclusion of the condimental leaf.  Maybe it's just the blends I'm looking at, though.

Re: Oriental components

Just sayin' that an Oriental blend is Ginnyweed + Oriental/s. The component amount isn't addressed. I fully agree that a Ginnyweed with a "whisper" of Orientals is more Ginnyweed than anything else. Much like a Va/Per! How many blends are called Va/Pers, yet have anything thing from a "whisper," to a "pinch," to (let's say) 5% Perique. Definitely depends on the blend/blender. :cheers: FTRPLT

ftrplt":6ak4rkw0 said:
Re: Oriental components

Just sayin' that an Oriental blend is Ginnyweed + Oriental/s. The component amount isn't addressed. I fully agree that a Ginnyweed with a "whisper" of Orientals is more Ginnyweed than anything else. Much like a Va/Per! How many blends are called Va/Pers, yet have anything thing from a "whisper," to a "pinch," to (let's say) 5% Perique. Definitely depends on the blend/blender. :cheers: FTRPLT
The VaPer comparison was a perfect frame of reference...I see exactly what you're saying, now.