Using a Refrigerator for Cellared Tobacco ?????

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeroWolfe

Reaction score
We have a large, unused refrigerator now that my wife has remodeled the kitchen, and I was thinking about using it for my tobacco cellar. I have read about doing this, turning the temperature to medium low (perhaps 55 degrees F, not too cold). The theory is that the stabilized temperature provides a more consistent environment for tobacco aging. I have unopened tins, and bulk tobacco stored in Mason jars. Do any of the BoB have experience doing this, either good or bad???? We live in a climate where the humidity is moderate, summer highs around 105 degrees F, winter lows around 20 degrees F. I keep my tobacco cellar in an air-conditioned / heated room (my den), away from windows, but the temperature does vary in the room by season. My other alternative is to use the refrigerator for beverage storage !!! Thanks, chaps....

Plan B would be my route. All the cold refreshment that could accompany a pipe or fine cigar would be my pleasure. Not to forget lots of rocks for the scotch on your bar.

NeroWolfe":bbdftfcs said:
We have a large, unused refrigerator now that my wife has remodeled the kitchen, and I was thinking about using it for my tobacco cellar. I have read about doing this, turning the temperature to medium low (perhaps 55 degrees F, not too cold). The theory is that the stabilized temperature provides a more consistent environment for tobacco aging. I have unopened tins, and bulk tobacco stored in Mason jars. Do any of the BoB have experience doing this, either good or bad???? We live in a climate where the humidity is moderate, summer highs around 105 degrees F, winter lows around 20 degrees F. I keep my tobacco cellar in an air-conditioned / heated room (my den), away from windows, but the temperature does vary in the room by season. My other alternative is to use the refrigerator for beverage storage !!! Thanks, chaps....
The only reasonable option is plan B.

John and I will be over to join you for a smoke. I'll bring some fine Long Island Wine. Would you guys prefer Pindar Port or Merlot? John will bring a bottle of Canadian Grand Award. Let us know when your fridge is set up and frosty. Looks like you'll have a full stock of your favorite beer.

Airborne and LIPIPE.....I prefer a Merlot...Beer will be ice cold and ready for you.......but obviously you guys are fixated on alcohol much more than pipe tobacco (Hmmmm...Is that one definition of an Alcoholic?????!!!!!!!....LOL LOL) Let's pretend I have a few extra refrigerators; more than enough for Beer, Champagne, White Wine, Vodka, Gin, Aquavit, Genever, Limoncello, Sangria, Ale, Guiness, Porter, Hard Cider, etc., etc.; so back to my orginal query: Are there views on cellaring pipe tobacco in a refrigerator?????

Merlot is fine with me. I'll bring the poutine as well! Just make sure the A/C is on!

I have always heard that it was a bad idea to refrigerate tobacco. The reasons given ranged from causing the tobacco to dry out to not allowing the tobacco to age.

I am not sure that the logic of most of the negatives really makes sense, but it would seem to me that the key to aging is a stable environment for storage. I would think that using the refridgerator with out or with only minimal cooling would provide this, not unlike a cooler kept in a cool basement.

If it were me and I really wanted to use the refridgerator, I would unplug it, let it sit a few days, after a good scrubbing to make sure there were no hidden odors, then use it in that unplugged condition, rather than risk my cellar.

Nero: Give us your coordinates. I'm strapping myself to my friend John and we are arriving by parachute. We need your location to plan our jump zone.....That's one LOL for ya bro!

Good advice above. All kidding aside. I have a small table top refrigerator that is unplugged. I keep a box of cigars in it with a moist towel and a barometer. I am able to maintain perfect 70% humidity for the cigars but my pipe tobacco is stored in mason jars on a bookshelf. I never saw the need for humidor storage conditions for pipe tobacco. It goes without saying that "cellared" pipe tobacco is never exposed to heat or sunlight.

LIPIPE......No problem. I am at my cool summer place in California at 36 degrees 18 minutes 15 seconds North, 116 degrees 24 minutes 55 seconds West. When you land, if you do not see anyone around, just wait !!! A couple of Airborne Rangers should have no probelm !!!!

My buddy John is the Airborne warrior. He earned the wings and gets the appreciation for his service. I'm just the wannabe ranger after having read Tom Clancy novels. The only rapid decent I've accomplished was the elevator ride down from the roof top observation deck of the World Trade Center. It probably went down faster than a parachute. Ironically, planes were flying in airspace below the level I was standing at. It is astounding to me after having that experience that those towers no longer exist.

I heard about someone using a wine frige to store pipe tobacco. They kept the temp set at 65* and installed an external guage for humidity level. He said certain times of the year, it would get a bit too humid, and he would just open the door for a day. Sounded like he was happy with the long term results, but I've never tried it.

I've been considering lining one of the cabinets in my study with Spanish cedar and adding a large cigar style humidifier myself. I would probably put a gasket of some sort or weather strip on the door too.

BradNTx...Thanks, Buddy.

That Hamborger Veermeister is good stuff!! Have you tried Davidoff Red ??? Also good Virginia, with a bit of burley.

Somehow it just seems wrong to me to store pipe tobacco in a confined environment that could become hostile in event of a power or equipment failure. Plus, I really do enjoy seeing those tins and jars trying to entice me. I do keep a fairly stable environment, but I keep all that fine fare in barrister bookcases. That causes me to consider another issue. I store my Lat blends separate from Virginias. I do this because I enjoy opening a compartment and catching a hint of its contents by the smell. That would be difficult if all varieties were consolidated in a single vessel.

Plan "B" sounds the better option. Unlike LIPIPE and John, I will be driving and will make some stops along the way. If you would, be kind enough to chill some Guinness, a good local Porter, and if you can find it, Beamish Stout. If there is any particular B&M you need hit, I'll be going through OK, TX, NM, and AZ. See you in a few months...

NeroWolfe":a2b14yja said:
BradNTx...Thanks, Buddy.

That Hamborger Veermeister is good stuff!! Have you tried Davidoff Red ??? Also good Virginia, with a bit of burley.
No, I've never tried a Davidoff blend. I'll have to check that one out. I love Virginias with "a bit of burley"! :)

Lesath":9hhomlha said:
Somehow it just seems wrong to me to store pipe tobacco in a confined environment that could become hostile in event of a power or equipment failure. Plus, I really do enjoy seeing those tins and jars trying to entice me. I do keep a fairly stable environment, but I keep all that fine fare in barrister bookcases. That causes me to consider another issue. I store my Lat blends separate from Virginias. I do this because I enjoy opening a compartment and catching a hint of its contents by the smell. That would be difficult if all varieties were consolidated in a single vessel.
If you stored a wine frige in the house, and had central ac, there shouldn't be any problem with a power outage. I guess a basement might be OK too if the temperature didn't vary below 45* or above 80.

As for seeing your tins, the wine frige in question had a glass front!

Also, if you are "smelling" your tobaccos, they are probably not in airtight containers. Aging, or storing more than a few weeks in containers that allow scent out may cause some loss of flavor or drying out.

I'm pretty sure it's the ones I work out of. Not everything goes in a jar and I tend to make too many visits for a refill. It's fairly faint, but the Latakia has left its mark. I think one of the more frustrating packaging techniques is practiced by Esoterica and those blasted eight ounce bags. You best have the jars ready when that stuff hits your doorstep.

Lesath":m8figysq said:
I think one of the more frustrating packaging techniques is practiced by Esoterica and those blasted eight ounce bags. You best have the jars ready when that stuff hits your doorstep.
LOL, the first time I bought Stonehaven & Penzance, I didn't know what to expect. I did have to make a quick trip to Hobby Lobby for some jars. :D

BradNTex...Ooops!! My error! Sorry, buddy! The Davidoff Red ("Davidoff Flake Medallions", tinned) is a Virginia with some Black Cavendish, not Burley. In any case, it is worth a try. Packs very nicely out of the tin; I just fold it and pack it; I do not rub it out. The medallions are thin enough to light well and not require many relights like many thicker flakes. SmokingPipes.com and 4Noggins have it at a good price. I have about a dozen cans cellared away. Just cracked a tin a few days ago and have smoked about half already. A smooth easy, TASTY smoke; good before a meal with a drink; easy on the palate.

Very similar to the "Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake" bulk tobacco. In fact, might be the same tobacco by the same blender in Germany.