VA Va/Per Burley Oriental

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RB-5

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been in the search function for a bit and am kind of overwhelmed. Would some kind soul please give me a list of some different types of tobacco and a good blend/brand to get. For example, everybody seems to love the FVF so that would be a VA, so what is a Va/Per? Also what is a good va/per to smoke..and so on. I would like to cover orientals, burleys, Laks and anything else you think I should know as well. Any help would be appreciated.

I haven't smoking as long as a lot of members but here are my recommendations:

VA: Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake, Rattray's Hal O the Wynd
VA/Per: Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake
VA/Per with a little black cavendish: Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake
Burley: Prince Albert
Oriental: Presbyterian Mixture, Dunhill Early Morning Pipe (when it becomes available again)
Latakia: Peter Stokkebye Balkan Supreme

There are a lot of blends and you will get a lot of suggestions from others. Those are the ones that I have enjoyed

Good luck!

That's great Johnny! Just what I was looking for. Anybody else?

FVF is pretty strong stuff. Great for the seasoned smoker but often a bit overwhelming for the newer pipe smoker. I'd go for something a bit tamer, less bold, like Union Square or SG Golden Glow (excellent stuff!).

For a Vaper, I love McClelland's St James Woods.

Burley, Uhle's Perfection Plug, none finer.

Oriental, that's tough because there are so many variations out there, but I love McClellands Orient 996.

Va: GLP Union Square
VaPer: GLP Fillmore
Oriental: GLP Embarcadero
English: GLP Westminster

I Would add PCCA Beacon Va/Per
G&H's CR flake Va
Embarcadero Va/oriental
Exotique Balkan
Westminster.......English :tongue:

Wow, thank you guys!! This is turning into a great list.

Slow Puffs":5mt6bvu7 said:
Muddler":5mt6bvu7 said:
Word cubed
or Hyper Cubed! :D
These are the cornerstones.

I whole heartedly agree with pipetongue1. PCCA Beacon is my FAVORITE VaPer thus far! My tins are ten years + old.

Also try these :
Solani 633 / VaPer
Reiner LGF / VaPer & Burley
Butera Kingfisher VaPer & Burley
McClelland 2015 Bulk / VaPer
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky / Va & "Dark fired" Kentucky
Dunhill Nightcap / VaPer w/ Latakia (Don't worry it's almost back!)
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe / Va & Orientals (Ditto almost here again!!!)
Boswell's Northwoods (English) Black Cavendish,Virginia,Latakia

RB-5":g26hyg9p said:
Hey guys,

I have been in the search function for a bit and am kind of overwhelmed. Would some kind soul please give me a list of some different types of tobacco and a good blend/brand to get. For example, everybody seems to love the FVF so that would be a VA, so what is a Va/Per? Also what is a good va/per to smoke..and so on. I would like to cover orientals, burleys, Laks and anything else you think I should know as well. Any help would be appreciated.
If you'd like to build up a little foundational knowledge on the differences between leaf and blend types, you could do far worse than this page: http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Pipe_Tobaccos

RB-5":rzlonqmb said:
Hey guys,

A 50/50 blend of Gawith Hoggarth's Kendal Kentucky and Brown Bogie rope is the PipeWorld's universally accepted "starter mixture" for new smokers. As light as air--almost no body at all, and delicately sweet. The room note is also one that women everywhere love.

Also, it is best smoked in a large-bowled pipe that lasts 1.5 hours or more, and in a small, still room. A coat closet is ideal.

Enjoy!

DoverPipes":osf2hrt6 said:
Slow Puffs":osf2hrt6 said:
Muddler":osf2hrt6 said:
Word cubed
or Hyper Cubed! :D
These are the cornerstones.

I whole heartedly agree with pipetongue1. PCCA Beacon is my FAVORITE VaPer thus far! My tins are ten years + old.

Also try these :
Solani 633 / VaPer
Reiner LGF / VaPer & Burley
Butera Kingfisher VaPer & Burley
McClelland 2015 Bulk / VaPer
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky / Va & "Dark fired" Kentucky
Dunhill Nightcap / VaPer w/ Latakia (Don't worry it's almost back!)
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe / Va & Orientals (Ditto almost here again!!!)
Boswell's Northwoods (English) Black Cavendish,Virginia,Latakia
Mudd and Dover have about covered my cellar!!!!
I echo what they have listed here!!!!!!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

LL":zlp7os4g said:
A 50/50 blend of Gawith Hoggarth's Kendal Kentucky and Brown Bogie rope is the PipeWorld's universally accepted "starter mixture" for new smokers. As light as air--almost no body at all, and delicately sweet. The room note is also one that women everywhere love.

Also, it is best smoked in a large-bowled pipe that lasts 1.5 hours or more, and in a small, still room. A coat closet is ideal.

Enjoy!
:lol!: The poor bastard, if he lives through it he'll never be the same :oops: :no:

Wow this thread took off overnight. Thank all of you very much for the help. LL I can't help but feel like you are rying to poison me..hehhe..if i make it through I'll have quite the story to tell.

Cheers!

RB-5":7ywr4jpx said:
Wow this thread took off overnight. Thank all of you very much for the help. LL I can't help but feel like you are rying to poison me..hehhe..if i make it through I'll have quite the story to tell.
Cheers!
"Poison"????? It's a GOOD poison.......heh heh heh