Valuing estate pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruta2

Reaction score
I just finished purchasing a new (to me) estate from an online retailer. Before clicking on the “proceed to checkout” hyperlink, I asked myself the usual questions:

1. Do I need another pipe?

2. Will the purchase of this pipe enhance my wellbeing?

3. Is the posted price for this item a good price to pay for it?

My response to the first question is always the same: No. But it’s not like that has caused me to hesitate, much less stopped me from making a purchase in the past. (At this point, I figure it’s just nice to ask; who knows, I may surprise myself someday.)

My response to the second question is also always the same: Yes. Getting stuff that I want makes me happy, and happy is all I can go by.

But the third question is the one that always leaves me scratching my head. Some pipes sell on the estate market for far more than they were worth new, others for about the same, still others for less. In other cases, I’m looking at a brand of pipe that happens to be “hot” at the moment and commands a hefty price. In still other cases, I couldn’t care less; I like/want/must have it, and, while I’m not a “price is no object” type, if it’s within reason, I will make the purchase.

So, the real point of this post is the following:

How do you (any/all) determine what is a “fair” price for a used pipe, especially one sold online?
Do you go by brand? Do you base your decision on the trustworthiness of the retailer? Do you subscribe to services that provide you with an idea of what similar items have sold for in the past?

Anyway, just a thought. I’d be interested to hear what people have to say.

Cheers.

I buy pipes I find attractive, that are of good quality, and that I can afford. 8) If for some reason, sooner or later, I realize I've made a grave error, someone else can have it.

I pretty much keep up on sale prices on a few pipes I might be interested in. Other than that, newer pipes 50% or so of MSRP. Highly desirable makers and shapes of older pipes will go for a good bit more than original MSRP many times.

You should do some online research.
Find out how much "X" pipe is going for new on various retail sites, and use that as a rough guideline. B&M prices can be misleading due to overhead and mark up's. If it's an older brand/model, watch EBAY auctions to get a general ballpark idea of what others are willing to pay for that particular pipe. Note what the winning bids were, and throw out any winning bids that do not appear to be consistent with general market trends (take into consideration that the reputation of some well known pipe dealers can often stimulate higher than average bids from customers). Also, learn how to spot "bidding wars", and realize that those can artificially inflate prices as well. Try to keep track of how many times you've seen that particular type of pipe come up for sale to determine how common or rare it may be .
Finally, the hard part. Very few pipes are "just like" each other. A few millimeters here, a gram or two there, can make all the difference in the world when it comes to the desirability of a particular piece, and that's not even taking the randomness of grain into consideration. All pipes are not created equal! One 2k S.Bang is not "just like" the next 2K S.Bang, or Castello, Dunhill, Savinelli, etc...
Here is where all the minute variables come into play.
What dimensions are you looking for?
Does it matter that a beautiful pipe that catches your eye only has a .75 diameter chamber, when .85 is really what you are looking for? (Taking for granted that you are looking for a pipe to smoke, and not just look at)
Does the bend in the stem seem to break too abruptly, creating an aesthetic distraction?
Would you have to settle for vulcanite, when you would prefer acrylic?
Have you seen a "better" version of that particular shape, one that you will ultimately judge all others by?
If you've done all the research, and all of your answers to the questions point to the fact that the estate pipe you are looking at and contemplating purchasing is "the one", then under some circumstances, you may actually be compelled to spend more than what your research has determined the pipe is "worth", just to have it. Because, if it satisfies all of your prerequisites, you'll have to calculate how much you want it versus the chances of finding another one "just like" it.
And I believe this holds true for pipes in a variety of price ranges.
I like nice pipes of all pedigrees and prices. Regardless of whether it's 100 basket pipes or a dozen hi-grades, I think I'll know how to find the best one(s) for me.
Cheers.
Chris

Ive gone and looked at what pipes are going for on other sites, Then Ill determine how much Im willing to pay for an estate pipe. I have a few I just wanted, well you know how that goes.

I have a different system. I look at the price of the pipe at hand, and think "Would I rather have $X in beer/whiskey, more tobacco, or this pipe?" Tobacco and booze are consumable, so the weight in that equation goes to pipe, but more often and not, pipe loses. In the market of estate pipes, you can have A:what you want B: when you want C:for the price you want; pick two out of A-C.

All of mine are priceless !! I've never bought an "estate" pipe but except for the 4 new ones I've bought in the last 18 mo's, all of mine I guess could be considered "estate" as old as they now are :p I've looked at several, but can still recall what some cost when new and since they cost more now, I don't buy any :p

For the brands I like (primarily British), I window shop trusted online retailers and watch a lot of pipes on Ebay. Pricing trends start to become noticeable.

Cost for the pipes I have now is more than I gave. When I started smoking a pipe I started getting estste pipes off ebay. Most I picked up for around 30 bucks. These same pipes now. petersons, savinellis, and some other brands. Have gotten down right out ragious for estate pipes.

Any pipe is only worth what you are willing to pay for it.My advice is to keep track of new pipe prices and adjust your bidding accordingly.I only buy used pipes on Ebay and I prefer dealers who clean and sanitize them.Get a feel for the prices they sell for and bid accordingly.Except for unusual pipes remember another one will be along shortly, so there is no need to get into a bidding war and pay over the odds.Pipeman1947 :pirate: :pirate: