VaPer Recommendations

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin' Blues

Reaction score
Could any of you fine gentlement recommend some good Virginia / Perique tobaccos. I'd like to delve deeper into this type of tobacco, but other than P.S. Bullseye (which I enjoy immensely), I don't really know where to go.

Haddo's Delight, the king of vapers :D

Astley's 109, damned good!

Samuel Gawith's St James Flake :!:

McClelland St James Woods
Solani 633
H&H LA Red

All come to mind also ... :pipe:

I like Haddo's, but be careful it has some kind of flavor, almost like raisins.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Escudo. This is the best I've ever had.

Try Anniversary Kake from Pipesandcigars.com
This is my go-to smoke.

Also Former's Cross Grain Flake is VERY high quality--just let it dry and smoke it slow.

Texas Outlaw":2rkfmh1a said:
I like Haddo's, but be careful it has some kind of flavor, almost like raisins.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Escudo. This is the best I've ever had.
That is very likely the marriage of a large dose of Perique with Rum :cheers:

Haddo's is my all time favorite baccy -- without equal in the world :cheers:

Yo, New Smoker, you sure know how to open a can of worms! The amount of quality VaPers out there is staggering... that is why you should start at the top, and work your way down. I have recently traveled down this road, this road being the exploration of VaPers, and have a few thoughts:

Start with Escudo, period, end of sentence. This is almost unequivocally (as far as that word can be used amongst those who play with pipes and tobaccos!) the KING of VaPers. Then, move to, oh, I don't know.... Solani 633 or maybe GLP Filmore, both considered shining examples of the genre. Then, start branching out.

According to Kilted 1, and many others, do not miss GLP's Haddo's Delight. I have been meaning to try this one! Also, Cornell and Diehl have many excellent VaPers, check out Kajun Kake, Bayou Morning, Three Friars, and Exhausted Rooster.

In my opinion, start with the classics (Escudo, Solani 633, and Filmore) and work your way out from there. PS Luxury Bullseye Flake is very highly regarded, and if you like that, you should have a blast checking out all the VaPer blends out there... Have fun, and happy hunting!

Kilted -- I am correct in thinking that Haddo's is similar to Exhuasted Rooster? If so, I am super stoked to try it, as I am currently working on a tin of the Rooster, and really, really like it....

Trout Bum":e8d9yyr4 said:
Kilted -- I am correct in thinking that Haddo's is similar to Exhuasted Rooster? If so, I am super stoked to try it, as I am currently working on a tin of the Rooster, and really, really like it....
I love em both,
but I wouldn't call em similar.

Trout Bum":x7k0ehpb said:
I don't find them similar at all. The closest I can come to a match for Haddo's is Two Friends Redwood and its not even really a match exactly, but shares some similar flavors. There really isn't anything in my experience similar enough to Haddo's to be a 1:1 replacement or even in the same category. It is absolutely unique as a mixture.

Exhuasted Rooster is however some VERY fine weedage :cheers:

Escudo... awesome, just had a bowl today.

Fillmore and Rooster... both aging in the cellar.

Joseph76":8lucj5sn said:
Escudo... awesome, just had a bowl today.

Fillmore and Rooster... both aging in the cellar.
Escudo is without a doubt a wonderful smoke -- some here will have also shared the pleasure of the true "Copes' version of it as I have. Superlative would NOT be an understatement :cheers:

I like Rolando's Own , part of the Home & Hearth selections from pipesandcigars.com.

This category is just so big. GL Pease Telegraph Hill, and Stratford were not mentioned. C&D's Bayou Morning, Bayou Morning Flake, Bayou Night (if you like a lot more going on than just Va/Pr). PCCA Beacon, now produced under the McClelland name. None of these are alike. Stratford might be closest to what you have been smoking, but it's not a flake.

A few other fine VA/per tobaccos for your list:

McConnell's Scottish Cake
" Red Virginia
McClelland's 2015 bulk

Jim

Thanks to Everyone for all of the fine recommendations. It will take me years to try them all. Of course what else is there to do but smoke slowly and enjoy.

I can second McClellend's 2015. Maybe a little heavy on the perique for you to make a common smoke (as it is for me), but a fine example. Stokkebye's Navy Flake is a great every-day for me with just enough perique to make it that bearable--it's a straightforward gold VA flake with just a pinch of the spicy stuff. I highly recommend it as a starting Vaper.

As I posted before, Thanks to all of you for the recommendations. It will take me a while to sample all of the VaPers.

Jason