Vector Butane Insert for Zippo

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_In_Philly

Reaction score
Well I have had this little sucker for about a year now (a little less to be truthful). Early on I had some trouble with the flame staying a consistent size. Some times I would be too short to reach the middle of a bowl, then it would jump to 3-4 inches in height. Lately however, I have had a more significant problem. Despite having a fresh flint and plenty of fuel, sometimes it just want to light. I can hear the butane hissing, so I know that isn't the problem. I can also see a very generous spark off the flint, so that isn't the issue either. I'm not too sure what the problem with it is, but I can now confidently advise anyone considering picking one of these up to avoid doing so.

And so the quest for a replacement begins.

HeyDave,

A couple of things come to mind about your problem. The first is to always use high quality butane...tripled filtered at least. My first choice is Colibri. I've had problems with Zippo and Ronson gumming up the valves. The second is to clean the valve opening (on flint lighters) to remove flint deposits. I'm not familiar with the Vector but with other lighters, a small brush and/or a Q-tip with a very small amount of alcohol works fine.

Jim..my ha'pence

One of my two Vectors flame height is a little inconsistant. I've never had good Butane and should try a can. I bought a big can of "Jet" in May and it is just now getting low. They do have a lifetime warranty, you could just send it back (mulled over sending mine back). On the other hand, they've never been cleaned, so maybe I'll give that a shot first and I appreciate that tip.

I only use good quality butane in my cigar torches and I have been using that same stuff in this guy. Initially I was using Colibri but switched the Vector Quintuple Refined a few months ago.

Well I gave it a shot. I took two Q-tips and some rubbing alcohol and cleaned of the jet. It was very dirty and the Q-tips did come out black at first so I was hopeful. It lit on the first strike, and I thought "holy crap it worked" but then back to the same old problem.

I can hear the butane hissing out and if I hold a flame from another lighter up to it, it lights instantly. Since I'm getting plenty of spark off of the flint, I don't know where the problem actually lies. Though, Al brings up a good point. Maybe I just got a bad one. I'll look into Vectors warranty process.

Hi all I have the same problem with mine. I use vector fuel new flints and sometimes it lights and some times it takes alot of stikes to get it to go and sometimes it wont light. I use matches when im home but take a lighter when I go out. My Zippos work good but need to be filled to often and even with the good fuel I seem to get that smell and after taste. The vector is a great lighter when it works.

I took the advise and cleaned the valve opening with one of the brisely pipe cleaners and work like new. Thanks for the hint.

nate560":mqll9oyf said:
I took the advise and cleaned the valve opening with one of the brisely pipe cleaners and work like new. Thanks for the hint.
Ah, a good reminder to do that on mine.

Do you purge the lighter before filling it? I've had mine for almost two years and never had a problem with it. The next time the lighter needs to be filled (or even before if you want to) give it a good purging (bleeding) to rid it of any air that has made its way into the fuel tank. I've had similar problems with other lighters and a thorough purging solved the problem. It's worth a shot.

williamcharles":f9cx9xi2 said:
Do you purge the lighter before filling it? I've had mine for almost two years and never had a problem with it. The next time the lighter needs to be filled (or even before if you want to) give it a good purging (bleeding) to rid it of any air that has made its way into the fuel tank. I've had similar problems with other lighters and a thorough purging solved the problem. It's worth a shot.
You most definitely want to purge all the air before refilling. I do that religiously and still have issues with one of my two. I did clean mine yesterday, but it no impact on the one with a problem flame. That one is still short and the +/- adjustment has no effect on flame height. I should probably send it back.

riff raff":h6xj3n7u said:
williamcharles":h6xj3n7u said:
You most definitely want to purge all the air before refilling. I do that religiously and still have issues with one of my two. I did clean mine yesterday, but it no impact on the one with a problem flame. That one is still short and the +/- adjustment has no effect on flame height. I should probably send it back.
Have you lubed the valve that actually opens/initiates the gas flow? That's the flapper valve that is actuated by the lid of the case. If that's sticky it can cause problems. I clean and lube mine now and then. I just brush it and then use a drop of 3-in-one oil and after operating the valve by hand a few times I wipe off the excess. If that doesn't work I'm whipped. It does sound like you've hit the problem when you say that the height adjustment may be faulty.

nate560":26oktc31 said:
I just did the same thing to my Thunderbird insert that wasn't working. Now it lights every time. Thanks for all the information and suggestions in this thread.

I have tested 3 Thunderbird inserts,the two are abandoned and the third is in use but very rarely.The problem is their inconsistency of the flame's length. One time is the proper,the second long enough to burn you and after a while almost no flame.Each turn of the wheel could be a surprise! All my 3 insert had that serious problem which sometimes becomes dangerous and among the pipe smoking forums many complains can be found.

Besides the problems with inconsistency with the flame size I found the fuel capacity somewhat lacking. I had to refuel my Thunderbird every day. I don't see why they can't make a lighter that uses butane or lighter fluid that will hold a weeks supply of fuel and not be the size of a #10 washtub. :evil:

AJ