Vernal Brother of the Cohuttas

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings,

I am a young man from the American southeast in transition to Chicago. I currently teach history and tutor basic Japanese in the foothills of Georgia, but will move to the Windy City at the end of this term. I purchased a "tester pipe" (corncob) at Iwan Ries only yesterday after years of contemplating pipe smoking. After smoking several bowls of aromatics and English blends I decided on a simple vanilla burley for its low cost and pleasant room note.

My tastes, as a disciple of history and fan of the likes of Tolkien and Whitman, lie in simple design, complex flavor, and natural mixtures. However, I cannot escape the draw of a pleasant room note as the influential smokers in my early life enjoyed such blends.

I will smoke less than most of you, only once or thrice a month unless I am camping, but I am interested in experimenting with blends and trading or purchasing rarer tobacco blends from other brothers.

I hope my experience here will be pleasant,
OWM

Welcome aboard! I also only smoke a couple of times a month, if even that, but that means I try to thoroughly enjoy every bowl! :alien:

Welcome from another new smoker! Have you tried any of the tobaccos that are Tolkien-themed? I have a special fondness for Tewksbury & Co's Hobbit's Weed, though it is an aromatic. I've also had my eye on McClelland's Frog Morton collection but haven't got around to trying it yet. Cheers!

Willow

whiskeywillow":9bgg4bil said:
Have you tried any of the tobaccos that are Tolkien-themed?
I have perused various Middle Earth-themed pipes and tobaccos including blends by Just For Him and pipes by Macqueen, but I have been reluctant to try any before I have a better understanding of the staple tastes and styles of tobaccos and pipes.

Thank you

Welcome from just outside Chicago. I hope you have a smooth transition to the windy city!

OldWorldMonkey":47qmj9ky said:
I hope my experience here will be pleasant
Plenty of pleasant to spare around here, your chances are quite good...

Welcome aboard :)

We here really like it when the new generation takes up the briar. We love the traditions and rituals associated with pipe smoking and very much enjoy seeing it passed on. Enjoy your time here and we are glad to have you aboard!!