Vertical Air flow..Oom Pauls, Hungarians and the like?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzman

Reaction score
I've been smoking pipes for about 3 years now and have a lot of straight and bent pipes. Being a bit intrigued by the Oom Paul shape and it's fans, I bought a cheap one.

I was disappointed that it didn't pass "the pipe cleaner test". Infact, it had a straight hole drilled about 2 inches down and then another air way hole drilled at an angle (off of the first hole) that ended at the bottom of the chamber. So there is NO way it would pass a pipe cleaner to the bottom.

I'm curious if ALL Oom Pauls are drilled like this? Is it possible to drill a curved hole? The first thing I learned about pipes was that the airway hole had to be straightly aligned to the chamber hole, is that still possible with an Oom Paul?

I really liked the feel of the Oom Paul, but I tend to be a hotter smoker so passing a pipe cleaner through during a smoke is of real importance. I'd appreciate any input from Bros who are big Oom Paul fans.

Thanks-Mike
:cheers:

I've never owned or smoked any full bent, so I cannot comment on if all airways are drilled in that manner or not, though I'd assume most are a straight shot to the bowl. As for drilling with curves and bends I hear Ser Jacopo supposedly is the only maker who has the tooling to drill bends in their pipes, not just an optical illusion like their insanium. I also believe Castello has the tooling for it too but don't utilize it as much. I'm sure someone who smokes Oom Pauls will have a bit more info that you could use rather than coffee table knowledge like me :lol:

bent.jpg
Ser Jac and Viprati both use a curved bit from time to time. The advantage is that the pipe takes a cleaner from button to bowl no problem at all. The disadvantage is that the tool is fairly large, taking a little more than 1/4" bore to do the job. Far larger than most people would call ideal.

A somewhat better solution occurs if the maker cuts a ramp from the mortise floor "up" to the airway (which usually terminates in the mortise wall by physical necessity). This is a sort of cheat that allows a pipe cleaner to be slipped down without distorting the airways too badly.

In this diagram the "ramp" is shown in bright pink.

Passing a cleaner is not strictly speaking necessary to make a pipe a good smoker. It's just handy to unplug a bad pack sometimes. But you can make an Oom Paul that does not pass a cleaner and still smokes dry and gurgle free. I'd tell you how but then I'd have to kill you.

There are a few other finesses a guy can pull off, tweaking the tenon shape etc to keep the airflow smooth in these pipes.

Done poorly, without care, they are a disaster. Done well, a real pleasure to smoke.

I can unhesitatingly recommend Castello and Mastro de Paja for full bents, and they are a specialty of mine as well, being my own personal preference in a pipe.

Sasquatch":r4w53ifv said:
But you can make an Oom Paul that does not pass a cleaner and still smokes dry and gurgle free. I'd tell you how but then I'd have to kill you.

There are a few other finesses a guy can pull off, tweaking the tenon shape etc to keep the airflow smooth in these pipes.
I know better than to break the code of silence, but I can attest from my Sasquatch Lugosi (a monster-sized Hungarian) that it's possible. When I have the time for a football-game-length smoke, it is cool and dry.

Yeah I got confused between "Group 4" and "Group 14" on that one. Sorry. :lol:

Thanks guys, I think I'm getting the picture now.peace-Mike :cheers:

I have three oom pauls and they are my favorite pipes. The air hole is a straight drill line from the top of the shank on an angle right into the bottom of the bowl. If a cleaner will not pass I clear the blockage with a straight wire hanger and then push the cleaner through.

I have a Brebbia that was drilled with a curving bit. The diameter is pretty large, but the tenon entry is smooth and so it doesn't gurgle. The shank does gather more ash and crud than my other pipes, but it's not a problem to clean out after the smoke. I really like the pipe - it's sort of cool to easily pass a cleaner through what is essentially a full bent.

Buddy