VERY interesting wood - Rainbow Poplar Burl

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobostro61

Reaction score
Got this for a bowl to make.  Finally rough turned it this past weekend.  Thought you would like this...
The bowl is 8-1/2" round by 2" deep. Compared to the bowl in hand, the photos definitely don't do it justice.

That's really beautiful wood sir, shame ya can't make pipes out of it, they'd be stunning.
Can't wait to see how that bowl comes out, I bet it'll be just fabulous! ;)

Cartaphilus":bhi8uu6t said:
That's really beautiful wood sir, shame ya can't make pipes out of it, they'd be stunning.
No kidding! I can only imagine a pipe made with this. No dying necessary! Too bad it's a soft wood.

Bobostro61":ponxftsq said:
Cartaphilus":ponxftsq said:
No kidding!  I can only imagine a pipe made with this.  No dying necessary!  Too bad it's a soft wood.
Ya know ya got me thinking now. If it's not poisonous in anyway and won't leach, maybe if one was to make a pipe out of it and use a good bowl coating like a water glass mixture to keep it from burning ya might be able to. But, that's just me thinking, no telling what heat
of burning tobacco (about 750 degrees) could do to it or leach out of it. But, I'd be willing to make one just to see how it came out but, not be the one to smoke it. ;)

That's beautiful wood Bob.
You could make Ron a pipe out of that, he's got loads of pipes he'll never smoke but just gazes at lovingly :D

That is a beautiful block brother, can't wait to see it finished!

alandadp":l306e3oi said:
You could make Ron a pipe out of that, he's got loads of pipes he'll never smoke but just gazes at lovingly :D
Kick a man when he's down Adam.

Cartaphilus":hvbnvuvw said:
alandadp":hvbnvuvw said:
Kick a man when he's down Adam.
I don't criticize, I merely comment

I like that wood quite a bit. Absolutely fascinating to look at. As to making a pipe out of it, have you considered lining it with meerschaum? After all you've already got the lathe. Couldn't be too difficult to cobble something together. Just a thought.

Jim

I recon that lighter sobbed uncontrollably when it was sat next to that pipe for the purposes of that photo...

Rainbow Poplar is a great wood to work with. I use it for peppermills quite often. I have turned a few bowls out of it, but that burl you have there is pretty spectacular!

Stick, I think it's the piping equivalent of you next to a Rastafarian :lol!:

alandadp":vqxmbdyk said:
I say Adam old boy, I think you're bang on! Perhaps one is meant to pack it with some 'alternative weed'? :afro:

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Stick":ynzoca5s said:
alandadp":ynzoca5s said:
I say Adam old boy, I think you're bang on!  Perhaps one is meant to pack it with some 'alternative weed'?  :afro:

:lol!:  :lol!:  :lol!:
Cheeky Monkey!

:joker:

Cheers,

RR