Victory!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vercer

Reaction score
I recently picked up a second, part time, gig working at my local cigarette/head shop. They carry the basic OTC tobacco's but that's about it (Capt. Black, Prince Albert etc...).

Been talking with the owner and manager and have finally managed to convince them to try carring some C&D and G.L. Pease bulks and tins since the nearest B&M is about 20 miles or so from them.

Now to just get them to start carrying some pipes besides cheap crappy corn cobs. The only ones they have now make MM's look like Dunhills :lol:

Make sure you have customers who will come in and BUY the stuff before you get him carried away. :oops:

Load him up with stuff that doesn't move, and your name will be Mudd.

:face:

Thankfully I've already had a few requests for it in addition to my own. Also keeping it small and simple to start with only about 5x1lb bulks to sell and a few different tins. I figure we can expand/change as word gets out and we see what, if any, people are buying.

thats cool that you got him to carry some good tobacco, but you probably got more people interested in fake weed and the like. My advise would be to smoke a pipe constantly, educate yourself on the tobaccos you carry and have an open tin for the customer to inspect. As far as pipes go, they're going to be a lower margin and higher investment item most likely ranging from basket pipes to maybe a few Nordings or Savinelli's, Peterson's, etc. Either way the more people see you smoking a pipe and smelling the nice aromas, the more people you can get to try out the hobby.
It seems aromatics are most popular at that type of place, but I advise sticking with 2 oz and 4 oz tins, that way you dont have full jars to look at drying out and collecting dust. Once you've established a customer base, consider carrying a few house aromatics, english, and va/VAper blends.

These are the tobacco's I would recommend stocking and smoking in store to start out:
Blue Note (only aromatic I like, maybe a good C&D Aromatic as well)
Dunhill early morning pipe, and nightcap (light and heavy english baccies)
Frog Morton (essential one here)
3 Oaks Syrian and Cyprian (awesome labels awesome baccy full english)
McClelland Legends and Wilderness (awesome labels and great baccy filling the medium english category)
Orlick Golden Sliced appears to be pretty standard, cheap and widely available (Substitute for Full virginia flake)
GLP JackKnife Plug (Virginia and burley, would be fun to have a little display under the glass showing the diff forms of cutting techniques sliced, cubed, rubbed)
Escudo (traditional old school form of VaPer)

Bulk wise I'd go with: (avail in 8 oz and 16 oz qty's to put into jars and sell by the oz)
Esoterica Margate or GLP Maltese Falcon or Westminster
GLP Union Square
Samuel Gawith Kendal Plug
McClelland 2015
not going to comment on bulk aromatic because I find most of them to be crap.

Show your boss the profit margins involved in selling by the oz, the above bulk tobacco's cost about $3-$4 an oz when bought in bulk and typically cost about 15 a 50 gram tin in stores, so it is reasonable to charge $6-$8 an ounce when buying from the bulk, especially if one can buy as low as an ounce. But if you are going to charge this much give em something good to smoke that they will be coming back for. So a 50% margin isn't too bad, and if you plan out the right merchandising ideas he may just spring for it. Some people feel more comfortable buying tobacco they can look feel touch and perhaps smoke so consider that as well.

Yeah, I already hit him with the cost vs. sales price numbers. He's especially happy with the potential ROI on the bulks.

We're starting small with the bulk stuff. Mostly similar to what already sells well in pouches at the store such as Middleton's Cherry, Capt. Black Gold and the like. I also picked out a representative Va for the bulks and have had a few requests to round it out. For the tins I pretty much gave him a list of what I like to smoke and pulled a few samples from you guys here on the board seem to enjoy and we'll run with it.

I already smoke pipes at the store pretty regularly which has brought some interest particularly since I've been smoking a variety of different tobaccos. Some of the old timers that come in for Medico filters and pipe cleaners and such also sit and chat with me a bit about it. I figure he's putting a small enough investment that it won't break the bank to get started and if it takes off then we're all happy.

Besides, if it doesn't work out, I'll buy him out and have a nice little cellar going :p

I also discovered during this process that C&D is only a few hours drive away... now to see if they do tours :lol:

Maybe sell a couple of custom made pipes, Jerry Perry is a NC pipe maker good pipes reasonable priced, I know as a Native Carolinian I like buying down home goods, I own a couple of his custom made pipes,

He also does pipe repair.

And he is right down the road in Colfax.

http://www.perryspipesandrepair.com/webpages/jerrycontact.htm

Offer better tobacco , pipes and service what more could a pipe smoker need :)