Video Games!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once played them back in the 70s'.

Had the original pong, and tired of that quickly.

When Pac Man came out I played that a couple times. But found it boring.

Dropped a couple quarters on Space Invaders. Lost interest pretty fast.

Since then no.

:sleep:

Cheers,

RR

Not any more. But in my day, when I was about your age, I was a Mortal Kombat addict. Gone are the days for me of losing days away in front of the screen though.

I quit playing last year. Too much cashola and way too much of a time-suck for a family man. But boy did I enjoy playing a good game when time permitted.

Now I spend my extra hard earned cash on pipes, tobacco, sticks and drumheads when needed. :D Oh, and a nice bottle of whiskey here and there. :twisted:

Been there, done that :twisted: Most are boring, but I still play Solitare on my 'puter, does that count? :twisted: :twisted:

I just finished Borderlands 2. I plan on getting Deadspace 3 soon enough. Invariably, however I find myself feeling guilty after playing video games. I could have spent the time better by making another pipe or spending time with my wife.

I got myself a Xbox so that I could play online with my kid. I sometimes play games such as Halo and Black Ops. My current favorite is Battlefield 3. I do not play on the computer, though...

Rob_In_MO":bmphk1sz said:
Here is the link to a project I built a while back - and I still use it to play vintage games on.

Sorry about the poor pic quality, it was an old junk camera...
Awesome rig Rob, and those are some great games that you loaded it with.

I really miss the old Black Isle games like Balder's Gate, Icewind Dale, and my all time favorite Planescape Torment. Now those were great games and totally worth the investment in time.

I've been a Civilization fan for more than a decade. I'm currently playing CivV quite a bit. I enjoy strategy games more than the shoot-em-up real time types.

The kids have a Wii but I never seem to get a chance to play with it. Go figure. :scratch:

I know I already responded once, but I had some other thoughts too.

After being off video games for years and years, I decided to treat myself to an Xbox. I bought it and a few games. When I started playing them I was thoroughly impressed with the progress that had been made on the graphics and game play, but thoroughly disappointed with how long it took to actually get anywhere in the games. If it was a racing game for example, it seemed to take days of play to upgrade your car enough just so you could hang with the crowd.

I ended up taking it back.

...at the risk of sounding old....Now, I'd rather play a good card game with friends, or maybe a game of Risk.

MisterE":djodtali said:
I enjoy strategy games more than the shoot-em-up real time types.
That's why I enjoy a good game of Chess.
As much as I love the Civilization series, Chess is still the #1 Strategy Game in the world, and always will be.

DrumsAndBeer":rklnnufd said:
Awesome rig Rob, and those are some great games that you loaded it with.

I really miss the old Black Isle games like Balder's Gate, Icewind Dale, and my all time favorite Planescape Torment. Now those were great games and totally worth the investment in time.
Thanks, Brother!

It's been a work-in-progress to say the least. I've been playing Civilization 1 using Windows 3.11 - and having a blast. I've also been playing Links 386 and Jack Nicklaus' Golf for a change of pace.

MisterE":hm8ruqnh said:
I've been a Civilization fan for more than a decade.
I used to enjoy the Civilization series a lot, but I think the last one I played might have been Civ III. I was more into military strategy games, such as Company of Heroes, the Total War series, and Hearts of Iron. Unfortunately, nowadays I do not have the time it takes to play those games, and I'm lucky if I can squeeze 10 or 15 minutes here and there for a quick match.

Growley":cpckacky said:
...at the risk of sounding old....Now, I'd rather play a good card game with friends, or maybe a game of Risk.
This.

The video games I always loved playing were the fairly simple games that you had to simply repeat levels in order to master them. No randomization, just figure out how to get through things.

Nintendo 64 was my last system and I tore Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64, and Mario Kart to shreds. My girlfriend is still into games and brought a Wii into the relationship. She has Mario Galaxy which was a lot of fun for me. She and her family love intricate RPGs, first person shooters, and games like Sim City and Civilization, none of which are my cup of tea. None of them have been able to beat Mario Galaxy, but I was able to beat it in under 17 hours of game play. Her brother has over 30 hours into the game and is somewhere around half way through. She quit after about the same amount of time. I created a character in this MMORP she's playing right now and quit after about 3 hours. She's put over 100 hours into the game and has a badass lvl 80 character who goes around slaughtering dragons.

Just a different style of game play, I suppose.

Haha, I just stayed last night up until 7 in the morning with my brother, smoking pipes, drinking whisky and playing the Portal 2 co-ops.

I play whenever I have a chance. I used to cohabit with a man and his collection of game consoles - still missing the Supernintendo! - and even if previously rather disinterested, he got me hooked real bad. Now I only have a computer, but I've been thinking about getting a Nintendo DS, mainly to play GBA games with. I'm pretty fond of the Castlevania and Fire Emblem series.

Currently I mainly play when I visit a friend and her Wii (and occasionally PS3). Sometimes I run some Amiga500 games on WinUAE, mostly Pinball Dreams (and Pinball Fantasies). Other games... well, I won't touch Alfa Centauri anymore because it means losing several days every time. I secretly dream of Diablo III, but luckily my computer won't most likely be able to handle it.

BTW, anyone else there who worships the old point-and-click masterpiece Grim Fandango?

I still play my fare share of video games...they've been on the shelf for a while as I've been far too busy with work and research, but I'd most recently been (re)playing the Bioshock, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect series...and of course NCAA football. I generally stick with one-player games and never really got much out of multiplayer stuff.

Still...I'd prefer a board or card game any day, but I rarely have anyone to play with. Risk is a fine game, but Axis and Allies is the cream of the crop, IMHO. Don't suppose there are any other A&A'ers out there?

idbowman":46vu01wt said:
but Axis and Allies is the cream of the crop, IMHO. Don't suppose there are any other A&A'ers out there?
Yes! :cheers:

By chance, did you ever play Milton Bradley's Conquest of the Empire? Similar to A&A, but set in Roman times. Great game and worth checking out if you like stuff like this.

idbowman, Bioshock has been another computer game I have been considering, it looks darn interesting!

I hate card games. Mostly because I'm probably the most sore loser there is when it comes to them. :lol: But I used to play Go quite a bit, both IRL and on the net (KGS). I don't have any playing companions nowadays but have been toying with the idea of starting to play in KGS again, although it's only half as fun as with a real board. Darn fine game.