Vintage Balkan Sobranie Original Mixture

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

operaguy2570

Reaction score
Just opened an early 1980's vintage Balkan Sobranie Original Mixture and packed my pre-trans Barling. Will settle down in my smoking chair with a bit of Lagavulin 16, neat.

The tobacco is in excellent condition; smoking reveals it to be smooth and full of flavor. Lifting my tongue just into the incoming stream of smoke broadens and rounds the flavor in my mouth. Lots of dark earth, leather, tea, and stewed raisin.

What a delightful evening. Cheers brethren.

Where can I find Balkan Sobranie? Its what my grandpa smoked and I have been wanting to get some for awhile. Also, Lagavulin 16 is my favorite whisky to pair with pipe-smoking. Any others you would recommend?

Balkan Sobranie has been out of production for a number of years. Today you can find it on several websites, including pipes2smoke.com. Tins are very, very expensive; Original Mixture can run anywhere from 400 to 700 dollars. If you want something that is just as tasty G. L. Pease Blackpoint is a wonderful choice.

In my mind Lagavulin is tops, but you could also try an armagnac or calvados. If you want me to talk specifics about those let me know.

Scott

operaguy2570":nwci1snk said:
Just opened an early 1980's vintage Balkan Sobranie Original Mixture and packed my pre-trans Barling. Will settle down in my smoking chair with a bit of Lagavulin 16, neat.

The tobacco is in excellent condition; smoking reveals it to be smooth and full of flavor. Lifting my tongue just into the incoming stream of smoke broadens and rounds the flavor in my mouth. Lots of dark earth, leather, tea, and stewed raisin.

What a delightful evening. Cheers brethren.
Nice pairing! I love Lagavulin.

Currently, I'm sipping a Caol Ila 12 that was given to me tonight by a good friend. I'm generally partial to Islays, which he knows, but the gift was a delightful surprise.

The first whisky I ever tasted, back in my boisterous youth, was Laphroaig, an equally boisterous malt. It still has a place in my heart, and I'm never without a bottle at hand. I think of the Caol Ila as sort of Laphroaig after having been sent to finishing school. Much of the same personality, but very much refined. The peat is more subdued, and the more gentle, floral undertones are allowed more room to express themselves. The finish is lingering and compelling. Wonderful stuff.

It's not as smoky as the Lagavulin, and certainly has less of the iodinic character of Lagavulin's neighbor, Laphroaig, but its still full of Islay character. I fell in love with it at last year's Whisky Fest, but neglected to try to track down a bottle. Now, I have one. ;)

If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to talk specifics. I have a larger collection of whiskeys and bourbons than i do of pipe tobacco currently, but I bought a few tins online that Im eagerly awaiting. I will definitely try the G.L. Pease Blackpoint, I just ordered it actually.

In terms of Whisky, I love the Lagavulin, its huge flavor is so complex but in a very inviting way. And I enjoy it anew each time I sip it, and as you said, I also prefer it neat. I also enjoy Ardbeg Uigeadail which seems refreshingly creamy and fruity along with its smokiness. I have a bottle of Laphroig cask strength but the iodine and brininess of it is at least currently a bit much for me; I haven't given up on it yet. One of the first whiskeys I had and I still enjoy is aberlour. I like all of their offerings. I also enjoy highland park though the youngers are a bit too bright and fruity to me, though still wonderful.

Knob creek, noah's mill, makers 46, and bookers are a few of my favorite bourbons because they are balanced so well, incorporating vanilla, oak, slight spice, and toasted wheat on the palate. I definitely enjoy ryes as well.

I bought an Age Bogelund pipe recently and am thinking of getting a ben wade as well, what do you think? I know it very much depends on personal preference, but I am interested in you opinion(s).

jmunoz12":roykty5c said:
Knob creek, noah's mill, makers 46, and bookers are a few of my favorite bourbons because they are balanced so well, incorporating vanilla, oak, slight spice, and toasted wheat on the palate. I definitely enjoy ryes as well.
You absolutely must try 1792, then. Wonderfully aromatic—the nose alone justifies the purchase. It has become arguably my favourite bourbon for sipping neat. Bulleit has wonderful spicy notes, with 30% rye in the grain bill, but still possesses a fine balance with a surprising amount of complexity, especially given its moderate price. It's now my top choice for Manhattans.

I agree completely on the Aberlour. They're Laphroaig's Speyside "sister" distillery, and offer some amazing expressions. I also really like the Laphroaig Quarter Cask, which is a little softer than the 10. I tasted the CS once, and loved its intensity, but it's not a gentle spirit, for sure. But, that's part of Laphroaig's charm, isn't it? There are other places to turn for subtlety. ;)

Don't get me started on gins…

I bought an Age Bogelund pipe recently and am thinking of getting a ben wade as well, what do you think? I know it very much depends on personal preference, but I am interested in you opinion(s).
Ages are high-end Baris, and the few Baris I've had have been very fine smoking pipes, so I would expect nothing less from Age. I've actually been looking for one over the years. They're hard to come by. Congratulations for finding one, especially one that you like!

Givem your whisky taste, I'd make a couple other suggestions for tobaccos, as well. Chelsea Morning has a lot to offer, and is less smoky, less leathery than Blackpoint. Also, there's Quiet Nights, which is similar enough in its makeup to Blackpoint to be called its brother, but the pressing definitely brings out some wonderful character. And, Union Square is wonderful with Bourbons.

For vintage tobaccos, I have my faves. Garfinkel's Orient Express #11, made by Sobranie House in the 1970s, remains, to my mind, the most balanced, elegant, and sophisticated tobacco ever produced behind those doors, and was, indeed, one of the finest blends ever made anywhere. Of course, there was also their Bengal Slices, with which I've recently rekindled an old love affair. Then, there's Sullivan Powell Gentleman's Mixture, John Cotton's #1&2, Elephant & Castle's The Stout, Benson & Hedges OVF, Gallaher's Rich Dark Honeydew, Dunhill's Ye Olde Signe, the REAL Three Nuns; the list goes on.

So much great tobacco!

I am definitely excited that I now have an array of new tastes to help develop my palate and enjoy with friends over thoughtful conversations or alone in contemplation, reflection or a night of relaxation. Thank you for all of your recommendations, I really appreciate it. I will definitely let you know how I like them after trying them for awhile. I may order chelsea morning, quiet nights, and union square today. And I'm sure I'll pick up a bottle of the 1792 some time in the next week or two.

"I tasted the CS once, and loved its intensity, but it's not a gentle spirit, for sure. But, that's part of Laphroaig's charm, isn't it? There are other places to turn for subtlety."
Yes, that definitely is laphroig's charm hah, I'll have to try the quarter cask sometime as well. And based on your description, I may have to get a bottle of Caol Ila too. But those may have to wait for now.

I am planning on enjoying quite a few pairings over the holidays, and now I am grateful to have many new luxurious tobaccos to try. Thank you again, I wish that I had recommendations to give in return, but you are much more experienced, and in the future, I hope you don't mind too much if I ask for other recommendations, pipe as well as whisky and bourbon related. I really haven't delved into cognac or gin yet, but may do so sometime over the next year. Maybe this summer.

Thank you again!

operaguy2570":755is5w6 said:
Balkan Sobranie has been out of production for a number of years. Today you can find it on several websites, including pipes2smoke.com. Tins are very, very expensive; Original Mixture can run anywhere from 400 to 700 dollars.
Scott

Wow, 400 to 700!!. That is like $10 to $20 for a bowl. Is it worth it? I suppose is not because of your recommendation of GLP Blackpoint as a valid alternative. Gee, I hope Greg does not get any ideas for price revisions.

I love this tobacco. It deserves its reputation, especially the earlier versions. As is the case with every blender, the tobacco changed periodically according to the availability of blend components. I've had some very early Original Mixture and some later versions, too. The difference is more than a little noticeable, although both are quite tasty.

It should be noted that 759 is regarded by most Sobranie fans as the blender's highest achievement. Contrary to assumption, 759 was actually the last blend House of Sobranie created. They saved the best for last.

Jon Guss has been doing some remarkable research on the House of Sobranie. Because I'm a judge in the Balkan Sobranie Throwdown (a competition between Mike McNeil, Russ Ouellette, Carl McAlister) to recreate Balkan Sobranie 759 currently under way, I've been privy to some of his findings. He'll be making an introduction to the Throwdown event at the Chicago Show.

I should be receiving the contest blends today or tomorrow, so I'm going to be comparing the three with the original blend. I am hoping beyond hope that the blenders make the competition very difficult to judge because they get so close. We'll see.

Cool, it will be great having you as a judge for the baccy shootout...keep us posted :cheers:

jmunoz12":xl58r7ma said:
I am definitely excited that I now have an array of new tastes to help develop my palate and enjoy with friends over thoughtful conversations or alone in contemplation, reflection or a night of relaxation. Thank you for all of your recommendations, I really appreciate it. I will definitely let you know how I like them after trying them for awhile. I may order chelsea morning, quiet nights, and union square today. And I'm sure I'll pick up a bottle of the 1792 some time in the next week or two.

glpease":xl58r7ma said:
"I tasted the CS once, and loved its intensity, but it's not a gentle spirit, for sure. But, that's part of Laphroaig's charm, isn't it? There are other places to turn for subtlety."
Yes, that definitely is laphroig's charm hah, I'll have to try the quarter cask sometime as well. And based on your description, I may have to get a bottle of Caol Ila too. But those may have to wait for now.

I am planning on enjoying quite a few pairings over the holidays, and now I am grateful to have many new luxurious tobaccos to try. Thank you again, I wish that I had recommendations to give in return, but you are much more experienced, and in the future, I hope you don't mind too much if I ask for other recommendations, pipe as well as whisky and bourbon related. I really haven't delved into cognac or gin yet, but may do so sometime over the next year. Maybe this summer.

Thank you again!
How did the pairings go?

A friend (the same one that gave me the Caol Ila) just sent me a bottle of Ardbeg 10 that's wonderful, but pretty intense—a real peat monster. Big, smoky, powerful, and I'm having a hard time finding a pairing that really works, though I've been revisiting Abingdon (from my Classic Collection) lately, and it's pretty close. I may have to come up with a blend specifically for the whisky!