Vintage Longchamps

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamtheWorldEater

Reaction score
Im considering starting a sub-collection of vintage Longchamps. I was hoping there are some Brothers out there who could steer to a place, other than eBay, where I could turn them up? Is there anyone who also collects them? :cheers:

monbla256 said:
I remember seeing them years ago, they were the first leather covered pipes I recall seeing. Never bought one though, here's a link to some info about 'em if you don't already have it :p Good luck finding more !

Awesome! Thank you very much!

I just have one.
I still haven't been able to bring myself to smoke it.
Wish I'da bought it used. :lol:
croc10.jpg

Hermit":6siqc4jh said:
I will eventually smoke it, but it sure is pretty, all pristine. :twisted:
No way, man. Just hand it over. Immediately. It doesn't like you anymore, you neglectful pipekeeper. 8)

Hahahahaha!!! But, man, that really is a thing of beauty. They are really hard to find unsmoked, but when you do, they are a sight to behold. You sealed the deal, Kyle. Im starting the collection ASAP :p

There are always so many positive comments on leather wrapped pipes. Why doesn't a modern day pipe maker produce some now?

Leather couches, chairs, purses, jackets, etc are still popular with the masses. It seems there would be a market for this.

Maybe woodworkers are daunted by leatherwork? :scratch:

I acquired a small French Jeantet billiard I enjoy smoking flakes in, as well as an Italian "Old Vic" pickaxe. Both are pigskin covered. Now I am always intrigued any time I have the opportunity to observe or consider purchasing a leather covered pipe. It can really make a small pipe a pleasure to hold, once heat has built up in the bowl. 8)

I have one French leather-covered bulldog, and I would LOVE to get more. Longchamps or not. 8)

J Soshae":hvojzmas said:
There are always so many positive comments on leather wrapped pipes. Why doesn't a modern day pipe maker produce some now?

Leather couches, chairs, purses, jackets, etc are still popular with the masses. It seems there would be a market for this.

Maybe woodworkers are daunted by leatherwork? :scratch:
I wonder the same thing. Im an avowed leather-lover; fine, brown leathers, personally, the more exotic the better. No black leather here, not how I roll. I even have a full set of camel leather luggage I picked up in Kuwait for $200. Ive seen similar sets online for several thousand. Happiest incidence of serendipity in my life :cheers: But, back to the topic, thats a really good question. You could imagine pipes of staggering beauty produced by a high-end pipe-makers, but alas, a lost art maybe? I cant see why it would be, though. Really good question...

WilliamtheWorldEater":76id7v4z said:
I wonder the same thing. Im an avowed leather-lover; fine, brown leathers, personally, the more exotic the better. No black leather here, not how I roll. I even have a full set of camel leather luggage I picked up in Kuwait for $200. Ive seen similar sets online for several thousand. Happiest incidence of serendipity in my life :cheers: But, back to the topic, thats a really good question. You could imagine pipes of staggering beauty produced by a high-end pipe-makers, but alas, a lost art maybe? I cant see why t would be, though. Really good question...
Your statement about ".... fine, brown leathers" tells you why "High End" pipe makers do not make leather covered pipes. They focus on the material of the pipe, briar, it's visual beauty and the designs that it inspires them to produce. If you cover it with another opaque material, you've negated all they try to do :) And for many of the producers of these pipes in the past, it was a way to use briar which had visual defects which would have precluded selling them as a traditionally finished pipe. I had a friend several years ago who took the leather off of two pipes he had and both were what he called "putty babys" they were so filled with putty. He was thinking of refinishing them but instead used one to smoke while doing yard work. I'm not saying ALL leather covered pipes were this way, but many were . just some thoughts :p