Vinyl LP Player?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinM

Reaction score
So Mr. Van Winkle has begun to stir himself and wonders how he might play those vinyl LPs he's had down in the "entertainment room" for the past three decades.

I'd like to find the modern equivalent of the old suitcase style record player, if such a thing exists nowadays. I did find something that looks suitable manufactured by Crosby, and wonder if any of you might use this product or have another recommendation.

I could just get a turntable and hook it up to the teevee, but portability is appealing. I can picture myself out on the deck on a summer evening, a Coltrane or Mingus 33 1/3 album playing, pipe alight and a supply of cold, cheap beer at hand.

Thanks in advance.

Avoid the Crosby and it's lookalikes. They really are pretty terrible. There used to be some decent suitcase players made. But they would need servicing to be usable today.

You could put together a nice system for reasonable costs. Just takes some research.

Try E-bay. The older Technics are still good quality and you can buy upgraded phono cartridges and new needles online.

The Numark PT01 is a modern rugged little traveller that works on battery power (6 'D' cells or just use AAs with 'D' adapters) with its own speaker, headphone output and line output. Pair it with a Nagaoka vinyl dust roller and a bottle of water and you'll spend hours at the flea market trying to pick out gems from the chaff. This model was discontinued and replaced with the PT01USB which has a USB connector for needle dropping fiends, I'm sure you'll find both available as second-hand purchases. Or you could just go with the Crosleys...